• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Wine Hiking Society

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really don't drink much anymore, either, for similar reasons as you. I don't care what others are drinking or not--it doesn't even cross my mind. I do laugh when dining out on occasion because, instead of like everywhere else I've lived, where the server touts the cocktail or beer menu, here, it's "we have coke, diet coke, mountain dew..." despite having a beer and cocktail menu.

And yes, it's the signal, "we do things on Sundays!" and I've read between those lines many, many times. I don't want to sound anti-religion here, though. I know some wicked cool women who are church members. Some are very devout and I adore them. But it's inevitable that if you are in a group, the conversation nearly always turns to their religion, and it's very alienating. So, a wine drinking hikers group is a way of saying that won't happen with that group. And yes, I'm pretty sure they aren't actually drinking wine while hiking, but they probably are afterwards!
I think it’s perhaps like if a bunch of skiers get together, the conversation inevitably will get to skiing at some point and the non skiers in the group would probably feel left out or unable to relate. I think this happens a lot when likeminded people get together and have some passion in common.

My mom and stepfather are mormons, and the conversation doesn’t go to that when everyone else in the room isn’t. Or even if most are not. She DID try to convert me many years ago, but that died off a long time ago when she realized it was not going to happen.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki such a good point. We rented our basement to a ski instructing colleague and his wife. She and my husband would instantly retreat when the conversation inevitably circled back to teaching. DH really struggles in that crowd.

Just last week I was so excited to try what I thought was NA seedlip mixer. Alas, the visuals and memory tricked me and thankfully I occasionally have a drink as I accidentally did that night. Only blaming myself but the name, and artwork styles are close enough that I was easily tricked into a big glass of flavored tequila. At my age I can't read the fine print and only saw the word seed! Ooops.20231101_081757.jpg

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Certainly the naming of an organization or event is a way of screening or notifying potential members. I don't think anyone in their right mind would assume that the hiking/wine group drinks *while* hiking. But as someone out there looking for things to do, I might not choose that group to do things with if I'm not comfortable with going to the wine bar after as a regular thing. Or, a "Sober Sisters" hiking group will let you know through the name that going to the wine bar after is certainly not in the plan. :-).

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@geargrrl I am not sure about the drinking being relegated to the apres. Many friends in the alps bring wine along for lunches on the trail and mountainbiking lunches often include beer. At the 1992 Olympic village in Barcelona the French and Italian housing compounds had cultural exemptions for wine and beer inside the village. The French military served wine at lunch in the cafeteria when I was in college. I know it seems crazy to us, but I am often surprised by how much alcohol is actually consumed during outdoor activities....even risky ones, including snow sports. I did coach a local group of ladies and their group name was the Chardonnays. They drank a lot at lunch and always called it a day. Thankfully for the rest of the people on the hill.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Yes, I saw a version of this on my bike tour this summer. I witnessed a lot of long picnic lunches with a bottle of wine by people touring. I'm not sure how they got the rest of the ride in after lunch! Maybe that's why they rolled into camp at 7 or 8 pm.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it’s perhaps like if a bunch of skiers get together, the conversation inevitably will get to skiing at some point and the non skiers in the group would probably feel left out or unable to relate. I think this happens a lot when likeminded people get together and have some passion in common.

My mom and stepfather are mormons, and the conversation doesn’t go to that when everyone else in the room isn’t. Or even if most are not. She DID try to convert me many years ago, but that died off a long time ago when she realized it was not going to happen.
That's absolutely why--I know it's just human nature, however, it IS frustrating when you are out with a group with a shared passion and it always circles back around to a different passion not shared by all. I had more than one awkward gondola/lift ride where I was eventually entirely left out of the conversation.

I had a woman show up on my doorstep today, ironically! First time in nearly 10 years of living here. She was pretty put off when I told her I was most definitely NOT sad to not be reading my scriptures.
@geargrrl I am not sure about the drinking being relegated to the apres. Many friends in the alps bring wine along for lunches on the trail and mountainbiking lunches often include beer. At the 1992 Olympic village in Barcelona the French and Italian housing compounds had cultural exemptions for wine and beer inside the village. The French military served wine at lunch in the cafeteria when I was in college. I know it seems crazy to us, but I am often surprised by how much alcohol is actually consumed during outdoor activities....even risky ones, including snow sports. I did coach a local group of ladies and their group name was the Chardonnays. They drank a lot at lunch and always called it a day. Thankfully for the rest of the people on the hill.
Now that you mention it--we have European friends here and yep, skiing is make a few runs, then time to drink! Take a few more, time to eat and drink! It's fun, but I don't typically imbibe except on occasion. I tag along for the social fun.

mustski

Angel Diva
I think it's more a normal thing to have a glass of wine at lunch in Europe. When we were at Club Med in Val Thorens, our class always stopped for lunch. The days we went together, I noticed everyone (instructor included) indulged in a glass. I did so one day, but it just makes me too sleepy in the afternoon.

Soujan

Angel Diva
You shouldn't be too critical of the Wine Hiking Society. If you look at the mission and philosophy statement's, the society is about empowering women to be outdoors and not shaming people for being too slow. They emphasize friendship and hiking. No mention of drinking in their philosophy. Drinking is optional as it states on their homepage. I like how they have informational/educational outings. Just looking the Winter 101 hike. They discuss a lot of important aspects that I know for a fact that many people don't know or consider. After hiking for over 20 years, I maybe met only a handful of people that even knew how to wear a backpack properly. I still know people that are experienced in the outdoors that don't bring enough water.

You shouldn't be so judgmental before looking at the whole picture.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
You shouldn't be too critical of the Wine Hiking Society. If you look at the mission and philosophy statement's, the society is about empowering women to be outdoors and not shaming people for being too slow. They emphasize friendship and hiking. No mention of drinking in their philosophy. Drinking is optional as it states on their homepage. I like how they have informational/educational outings. Just looking the Winter 101 hike. They discuss a lot of important aspects that I know for a fact that many people don't know or consider. After hiking for over 20 years, I maybe met only a handful of people that even knew how to wear a backpack properly. I still know people that are experienced in the outdoors that don't bring enough water.

You shouldn't be so judgmental before looking at the whole picture.
We are just having conversations about it. Different opinions are expressed including mine; that doesn't mean I'm judging (which means making negative observations) Is it negative to say that some people might be turned off? I think it's an observation is all.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About 10 years ago, I got on a chairlift midweek out here, and the other person on the lift, an older gent with either a real or fake European accent, was carrying a satchel with a wine bottle and glasses and offered me one. I declined, but it was pretty amusing to be honest.

Soujan

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
About 10 years ago, I got on a chairlift midweek out here, and the other person on the lift, an older gent with either a real or fake European accent, was carrying a satchel with a wine bottle and glasses and offered me one. I declined, but it was pretty amusing to be honest.
Bota bag…

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier & @BlueSkies , oh gosh, now I'm trying to remember - I was someplace in the last few weeks where you could get a Bota bag filled if you brought one in; I kind of think it was the taco place last Thursday??
I remember riding a double chair at Alta with a rather cute guy and he offered me his bota bag. Of course I took a swig..... this was in the 80's when we would yell single so two skiers could ride up together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga