• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Wine Hiking Society

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Since you ask, as a non-imbiber who is focused on recovery; who has battled most of her life from the effect of being around alcoholic dysfunction, I can't get behind it. I think there's way too much emphasis on "Mommy needs wine" or "Bro needs a beer" in our culture. A lot of people really struggle socially with alcohol issues as it is.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are inundated w/pro-drink messages in this society, @geargrrl . It certainly won't be a group for everyone.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@geargrrl I brought this up as a humor twist on hiking, I certainly didn't think about how it could impact someone who struggles with alcoholism or addiction. Thank you for being bold and caring enough to me think. I appreciate your honesty.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think you should interpret any of this as personal criticism @SnowHot. To many folks, the idea is humorous and they won't think anything of it. That said, @geargrrl is correct in observing that society is overwhelmed by ads and cute little ditties that send inappropriate messages suggesting that having a few is "normal;" that it is fun and harmless (e.g., "mommy's little helper," "wine drinkers welcome, beer drinkers by appointment," wine is the answer, I forgot the question," etc., etc.). We've all seen them.

The alcohol industry is about big bucks and they've been very, very successful in their campaign to convince society that imbibing regularly is innocuous and completely acceptable for celebrating literally everything ("Hey, I got my legs waxed, let's open a bottle of red!"). Can you think of any other drug that people are criticized for not taking?

I checked out the Virginia Chapter of the hiking group (they have chapters in all 50 states), and despite the name I get the impression that this is a group of adult women who enjoy hiking together and then enjoy a glass of wine at one of the state's many wineries. I don't think they are encouraging drinking while hiking, which in my mind would be just plain stupid. They emphasize that the drinking part is optional - like the Park City ski-shot fundraiser that offered participants either whiskey or a non-alc option. I may check them out just b/c I've been looking for a while now for a women's hiking group. If they turn out to be irresponsible or hard-core, I won't do a repeat hike. If they are serious about the wine part as optional or limited, it could be fun.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think you should interpret any of this as personal criticism @SnowHot. To many folks, the idea is humorous and they won't think anything of it. That said, @geargrrl is correct in observing that society is overwhelmed by ads and cute little ditties that send inappropriate messages suggesting that having a few is "normal;" that it is fun and harmless (e.g., "mommy's little helper," "wine drinkers welcome, beer drinkers by appointment," wine is the answer, I forgot the question," etc., etc.). We've all seen them.

The alcohol industry is about big bucks and they've been very, very successful in their campaign to convince society that imbibing regularly is innocuous and completely acceptable for celebrating literally everything ("Hey, I got my legs waxed, let's open a bottle of red!"). Can you think of any other drug that people are criticized for not taking?

I checked out the Virginia Chapter of the hiking group (they have chapters in all 50 states), and despite the name I get the impression that this is a group of adult women who enjoy hiking together and then enjoy a glass of wine at one of the state's many wineries. I don't think they are encouraging drinking while hiking, which in my mind would be just plain stupid. They emphasize that the drinking part is optional - like the Park City ski-shot fundraiser that offered participants either whiskey or a non-alc option. I may check them out just b/c I've been looking for a while now for a women's hiking group. If they turn out to be irresponsible or hard-core, I won't do a repeat hike. If they are serious about the wine part as optional or limited, it could be fun.
I didn't take it as criticism as much as a learning opportunity that this kind of topic can have an alternate affect on people depending where they are coming from. I appreciate being able to have these conversations in a thoughtful and meaningful manner.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may check them out just b/c I've been looking for a while now for a women's hiking group.
I haven't done any hikes yet, but I joined a FB group called "Massachusetts Women's Hiking Club" this summer. There's likely something like that in Virginia too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Since you ask, as a non-imbiber who is focused on recovery; who has battled most of her life from the effect of being around alcoholic dysfunction, I can't get behind it. I think there's way too much emphasis on "Mommy needs wine" or "Bro needs a beer" in our culture. A lot of people really struggle socially with alcohol issues as it is.
Good point @geargrrl and glad you responded. I "liked" the post and then read yours and gave me some thought.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a Utahn, I think it's a way to sort out a few things about finding groups that might not talk about where they are every Sunday, or Wednesday, etc. I think the wine thing is kind of a "signal". Utah is just...weird sometimes. I've done some women's multi-week ski clinics with some women who were fun and I liked, until they all got together and started talking about the entity that dominates their lives. I felt really awkward, left out, and a bit angry, honestly, and it's happened many more times since then. So, speaking as someone who lives here, I think they attach the wine moniker to their name as a way to let women know that the main topics of discussion likely won't focus on where they are on Sundays.

altagirl

Staff member
As a Utahn, I think it's a way to sort out a few things about finding groups that might not talk about where they are every Sunday, or Wednesday, etc. I think the wine thing is kind of a "signal". Utah is just...weird sometimes. I've done some women's multi-week ski clinics with some women who were fun and I liked, until they all got together and started talking about the entity that dominates their lives. I felt really awkward, left out, and a bit angry, honestly, and it's happened many more times since then. So, speaking as someone who lives here, I think they attach the wine moniker to their name as a way to let women know that the main topics of discussion likely won't focus on where they are on Sundays.
Very good point - LOL Utah is weird. As I've gotten older I find that I get hungover on like half a glass of wine so I basically never drink anymore. But I'm careful to try and clarify that I RARELY drink or some such phrasing because saying you don't drink here is practically a declaration of religious affiliation and would feel like a misleading thing to say.

That said, it's also awkward to NOT drink among other groups so, yeah. I totally agree we'd be better off not signaling that we should be drinking all the time. I certainly feel better when I don't, and it seems like supporting healthy behavior would be a much better cultural thing to do. I will say I'm grateful for places that serve tasty non-alcoholic cocktails. It feels like part of the fun experience of going out with the girls is dragging out the meal with cocktails and it's nice to have something "special" and not just "I have some more water" while everyone else is poring over a fun cocktail menu.

Anyway, yeah, I'd interpret any meet-up group in Utah with an alcohol reference to also mean things like "We do things on Sunday!" I mean, are people really drinking while hiking at elevation? (It's giving me a headache thinking about it...) I'm kind of going to lean towards - not really.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just read some previous posts and didn’t intend to be tone-deaf on this subject. I grew up and went to school in the East and had never met a Mormon until visiting a college friend who had moved to Park City in 1988. Realized quickly that there was a small but vocal Morman population. Back in the late 1980s-early 1990s I would often be questioned by people (always men) on lifts about my religion, but as the area became more cosmopolitan post-SLC Olympics I’ve experienced that less and less. On a lighter note, Wasatch Brew Pub used to have a Polygamy Porter. I hope that wasn’t cancelled

MissySki

Angel Diva
I will say I'm grateful for places that serve tasty non-alcoholic cocktails. It feels like part of the fun experience of going out with the girls is dragging out the meal with cocktails and it's nice to have something "special" and not just "I have some more water" while everyone else is poring over a fun cocktail menu.
This segment of the market has really exploded recently! Most menus I see now have a very tasty looking mocktail section.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will say I'm grateful for places that serve tasty non-alcoholic cocktails. It feels like part of the fun experience of going out with the girls is dragging out the meal with cocktails and it's nice to have something "special" and not just "I have some more water" while everyone else is poring over a fun cocktail menu.

This segment of the market has really exploded recently! Most menus I see now have a very tasty looking mocktail section.
That has become a real thing.
I was recently at a back yard bbq where they had several non alcohol beers. I'm not a beer drinker, but those who were drinking the NA beer said that theyd been enjoying it more and more as the options have grown.
I'm liking that trend of more NA options too.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very good point - LOL Utah is weird. As I've gotten older I find that I get hungover on like half a glass of wine so I basically never drink anymore. But I'm careful to try and clarify that I RARELY drink or some such phrasing because saying you don't drink here is practically a declaration of religious affiliation and would feel like a misleading thing to say.

That said, it's also awkward to NOT drink among other groups so, yeah. I totally agree we'd be better off not signaling that we should be drinking all the time. I certainly feel better when I don't, and it seems like supporting healthy behavior would be a much better cultural thing to do. I will say I'm grateful for places that serve tasty non-alcoholic cocktails. It feels like part of the fun experience of going out with the girls is dragging out the meal with cocktails and it's nice to have something "special" and not just "I have some more water" while everyone else is poring over a fun cocktail menu.

Anyway, yeah, I'd interpret any meet-up group in Utah with an alcohol reference to also mean things like "We do things on Sunday!" I mean, are people really drinking while hiking at elevation? (It's giving me a headache thinking about it...) I'm kind of going to lean towards - not really.
I really don't drink much anymore, either, for similar reasons as you. I don't care what others are drinking or not--it doesn't even cross my mind. I do laugh when dining out on occasion because, instead of like everywhere else I've lived, where the server touts the cocktail or beer menu, here, it's "we have coke, diet coke, mountain dew..." despite having a beer and cocktail menu.

And yes, it's the signal, "we do things on Sundays!" and I've read between those lines many, many times. I don't want to sound anti-religion here, though. I know some wicked cool women who are church members. Some are very devout and I adore them. But it's inevitable that if you are in a group, the conversation nearly always turns to their religion, and it's very alienating. So, a wine drinking hikers group is a way of saying that won't happen with that group. And yes, I'm pretty sure they aren't actually drinking wine while hiking, but they probably are afterwards!

MissySki

Angel Diva
That has become a real thing.
I was recently at a back yard bbq where they had several non alcohol beers. I'm not a beer drinker, but those who were drinking the NA beer said that theyd been enjoying it more and more as the options have grown.
I'm liking that trend of more NA options too.
Once I liked the NA mocktail list better than the regular cocktails.. so I ordered one of the NA but had them add vodka. :laughter:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga