• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Skis

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been looking at women's skis and love the cosmetics. Unfortunately the industry seems to have just taken unisex skis and de-tuned them,then put pretty graphics on them for the most part. I noticed also there are no women's racing skis, at least from the major manufacturers. Does anyone know of an expert ski that is pretty but has the same performance as a unisex ski? I have been looking at "Line Celebrity skis". This is the description given "The Celebrity is famous for its smooth feel, yet powerful and responsive attitude. This versatility makes it the tool of choice for progressive female skiers looking to conquer the entire mountain." before I spend the money I would like to at least hear from somebody who tried them. Right now I only have 2 pairs of modern skis, Volkl Racetiers and Dynastar Speed Team Pro 66, neither of which are suitable for anything but a race course. Since I am going to start skiing with my partner I am going to need something other than a full bore race ski.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tami (gravity girl)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Tamlyn, I don't know anything about racing or bump skis, so I can't even begin to address that question (though I hear the Hart F17s are a fabulous bump ski). But I think you have the wrong impression about women's skis -- or at least a dated one. Women's skis used to be just as you described, but I think manufacturers have made tremendous strides in recent years. If you'll look through out Gear Review section, you'll find our impressions of many of the women's skis out there. Some of these skis, like the Nordica Firefox and the Volkl Fuego, are absolutely fantastic. Of course, it all depends what you're looking for. I think you really need to give them a try to find out for yourself.

I ski Volkl women's skis and they are typically 20% lighter than their unisex counterparts. You would probably like the Volkl Aurora for it's stiffness and power, coming from the racer background that you have. The Volkl Fuego and Tierra are also pretty stiff and it you keep the length long, you may get what you are looking for. Of the 3, the Fuego is probably easiest in bumps.

There are a lot of reviews of the Line Celebreties on this forum, just enter the name of the ski in the search feature. Vanhoskier, for one, owns, skis, and loves them. She does describe them as being more forgiving than her Auras, so the Celebs may not have the beef you want. They are a great ski though, very versatile. I hope to demo them one day for fun.

Jilly

Staff member
I've sat through the last numbers years Product Knowledge session with respect to skis from Salomon, Atomic, Rossi and this year Roxy. I've also demo'd skis for our local shop. The industry DID at one time "Pink it and shrink it!" Not anymore. All the manufacturers are spending time and money on women's skis. Not all are the wossy things they used to be. As an older racer, you should be looking at tuned down race skis for general use.

For example: Atomic Heaven's Gate, Rossi 9S oversize, Salomon Origin or X-wing 10, Nordica Speed, Conquer or Firefox (I think you'd like the Speed). I myself haven't skied the Volkls or K2. I've a friend who always skied the Volkl star line. She's on the Fuego this year and loves it. We ski with the boys too.

Just like unisex skis, there are skis that aren't for YOU. You really need to demo stuff and then decide. To help with a shorter list try SkiPressworld's ski test on line. Make sure you enter that you are an expert women skier. You might be amazed what comes up!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been looking at women's skis and love the cosmetics. Unfortunately the industry seems to have just taken unisex skis and de-tuned them,then put pretty graphics on them for the most part. I noticed also there are no women's racing skis, at least from the major manufacturers. Does anyone know of an expert ski that is pretty but has the same performance as a unisex ski? I have been looking at "Line Celebrity skis". This is the description given "The Celebrity is famous for its smooth feel, yet powerful and responsive attitude. This versatility makes it the tool of choice for progressive female skiers looking to conquer the entire mountain." before I spend the money I would like to at least hear from somebody who tried them. Right now I only have 2 pairs of modern skis, Volkl Racetiers and Dynastar Speed Team Pro 66, neither of which are suitable for anything but a race course. Since I am going to start skiing with my partner I am going to need something other than a full bore race ski.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tami (gravity girl)
HAHA, this cracks me up! You must be a better skier than I am and no doubt a better woman than Debbie Armstrong (Gold medalist)
Her ski of choice is the Nordica Olympia Firefox!
That ski rips!!!
Then there is Robin Barnes PSIA D-teamer. OMG that woman is freakin amazing!
She skis on a variety of skis, but one of those she used at Aspen Snowmass was the Nordica Olympia Conquer.

Tamlyn, if you use proper technique and take the time to demo a bit, you'll be amazed where the technology has gone for the women's skis.

Shrink it and pink is not the rule of thumb anymore. Many mfgrs are building their women ski lines from the ground up with some amazing input from some profound women skiers.

altagirl

Staff member
I was watching ski racing on TV on Sunday and the announcer stated that whoever it was on course was only one of two women on the World Cup circuit racing slalom on unisex(men's) skis. I take that to mean that there must be a number of women's race skis out there somewhere...

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please don't laugh at me Snow Hot, thats why I was asking. And it does seem kind of curious that there are no women's World Cup or J4 racing skis that are women specific. Are the Volkl Auras that much different than the racetiger? I don't like wide skis. Thats why I was looking at the super mogul and the Line Celebrity. for all mountain skis. I may even go back to skiing on my 203 Dynamic VR17s, they served me well as an all mountain ski as well as a slalom ski an the length doesn't bother me. I am also considering a pair of Dynastar Omeglass, but they may not be the best thing for moguls. I read somewhere in a post someone was unhappy with their Line Celebrity's, if they are long enough I may be interested in buying them from her.
cheers
Tami (gravity girl)

altagirl

Staff member
Volkl Auras are meant to be all-mountain/powder skis. They make fatter powder skis, to be sure - but they are indeed fat if you're used to race skis. And Line celebrities are close to the same thing - they are both what I would consider a modern west coast mid fat/all mountain ski. (Though compared to a race ski - they're both fat.)

Line Celebrity - 125/90/113
Volkl Aura - 133/94/113

mtnbikegirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only suggestion I can give you is to demo, demo, demo. It's worth the money and some shops will let you apply the demo cost towards a purchase of skis. Regardless of you ski level, what one skier will like, another may not. Just look at the reviews by the skiers on this site. They may be of similar ability but that's where the similarities end. (i.e. many love the Volkl Aura's and I was hoping I would too but they were way too stiff for my style of skiing and didn't like them at all.)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tamlyn, I'd suggest backing off the race based ski and try something without the view of hard charging through everything if this is truly to ski with your partner who is a new skier. It's hard when you're used to flying through everything at mach 10 to change that style to more finesse based skiing. I see it regularly. But, finesse skiing is a lot of fun as well and balancing the two styles can provide for a lot of varied fun on the mountain. I have 2 pairs of skis, one a frontside carver that I use for icy days as well as coaching. The second is the Head Sweet Fat Thang which has really taught me how fun powder, bumps and trees can be. As you know, generations of skiers probably my age and older were never trained in bumps and powder much. It was all speed all the time. Race programs have come to learn that a better all around skier that can perform in bumps and powder are really better in the gates. Likely because they get a better feel for reacting to varied terrain. Our entire program aims for about 25% of their time in gates to give you an idea of how strong that opinion is.

Now, that doesn't make you a bad skier. In fact, most of the last 4 seasons I have spent a lot of my free ski time challenging myself to improve in the bumps and powder. I've made huge strides in the last 2 years (Pinto, SnowHot and KatyPerrey can all attest to that!) but it's still hard. But what I'm finding is that I'm better off for it on the groomers and ice as well. If I had the cash I'd be doing lessons to help me with those aspects and you might consider signing up for a bump clinic.

I think the Aurora would be a great choice for you. It's a bit wider than you're used to but still has a good sidecut to it for carving. As mentioned before the Hart F17s are well regarded bump skis (look for Vanhoskiers TR on her summer bump clinic!). I don't know anything about the Line Celebrety so I can't speak to that.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tamlyn, I wasn't laughing at you at all. I was just cracking up at the idea that there are some women who are way out of our league who ski on women specific skis, and yet we continue to have women here who make assumptions about the contemporary WS skis based on the history of the industry.
Women are making our mark on the mountain, and it looks like first tracks in amazing powder !

If you're looking for an all mountain ski that will not be uber fat, look at the Volkl Aurora, Hart Pulse(or Hart Beat, same ski different graphix) or the Nordica Conquer.
All of these have a low end mid fat waist and will surprise you how much they perform.

If you're looking for a mogul specific ski, then I'd go with the Hart f17, or go with a twin tip like the Twisted twin

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard many describe the Volkl Mantra/Aura (same basic ski, Aura is the women's version so a little lighter) as "a fat GS ski." I think the Celebrity is considerably softer, so I assume an ex-racer would prefer to stick with a more "racy" ski. (And the boobies on the Aura qualify as racy, no?)

But that's just an assumption ... demoing is always best when the equipment is so new.

I took out the Monsters (77 underfoot, 163 long) at Keystone after being on the Auras (94 underfoot, 177 long) most of the season, and I felt like I was on snowblades for the first half hour. I've really enjoyed the greater length and width of the big skis, but it does take getting used to.

Snowkat

Diva in Training
Fuego

Got a pair of Fuegos recently and think they're great so far. Unfortunately I have yet to try them in powder or bumbs but looking forward to it... This year's model has a pretty bird and are lovely if you dig orange :smile:

BKH319

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tamlyn,

All my skis are women specific, I am not very tall or heavy and have found it easier to flex a women's ski the way it's intended. I am happy with all my skis and I have demoed quite a few. Loved the Fuegos (fast) and the Burnin Luv's (own them). Heaven's gate were a little mushy but OK. I have a pretty nice little quiver but only because I am a ebay browser (to hubby's dismay) Again as everyone has already said every ski is different and so is every skiier, demo demo, you may know someone who has a ski you could try. My sister in law took my Burnin Luvs for a weekend and loved them, She is a lot taller than I, about 5'8 and 180 she took the 153's and had a blast. Granted she is an intermediate skiier (Basic Blues) but competant. Another of my friends hates her HEAD WILD ONE's she tested my Burnin Luvs and my Shuks Annes. She didn't like the Shuks Anne's but liked the BL's. You just never know.

Good Luck! :becky:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm prefacing this because I think I know how it's gonna sound and it's really not my intention to sound snotty, soooooo.....

Leave all your old-school prejudices and expectations behind. Get some lessons in using the new super-sidecut skis (there are instructors that specialize in this transition), and enter the wonderful world of demos with a totally open mind.

I, too thought all women's skis were "pink-it and shrink-it", and I've always been on unisex race-based skis. I've since learned to utilize the new skis in the way they're meant to be used, and have fallen in love with my fatties (both unisex and women's).

Skis that you may like include the Volkl Tigershark 10 or 12ft and their women's counterpart, the Fuego. The Nordica Hellcat/Helldiver and Olympia Firefox are all "the real deal". The Head Monster series are just giant race skis that had me making vroom, vroom sounds the entire time I was on them. Many of the all-mountain twins are race-based as well and will handle everything but true ice. The fatter mid-fats like the Mantra/Aura or Celebrities are loved by many, and for good reason.

However....you need to find the one that puts the biggest grin on your face, and this takes and open mind and some dedication.

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Leave all your old-school prejudices and expectations behind. Get some lessons in using the new super-sidecut skis (there are instructors that specialize in this transition), and enter the wonderful world of demos with a totally open mind."
Volkl Girl;
Thanks for the advice. The season is growing short and I don't want to spend alot of days demoing skis especially since these skis will be the least used in my quiver. I am a big woman 5'8" and 160. And I would point out I am already skiing on short radical sidecut skis. My Dynastar Speed Team Pros are 178 GS/Super G skis and after a few runs I figured out they oversteer if I use my old technique, same with my Volkl Racetigers. I also ski on ice for the most part. The guys at levelnine sports tell me he new shaped skis don't really work for moguls and recommended the Head Mogul Super Bump. After more reading today I found what looks like a great womens ski,The Roxy Helter Skelter(being first generation scottish the graphics appeal to me too...tartan plaid)here is the description:
A burly/beautiful ski for the best/baddest ladies on the mountain. Drop cliffs, ski trees, find the deepest powder, go FAST - the HelterSkelter's mysterious tech adds unexplainable power to every ride. Wicked.

Is the Volkl Aurora that much different from the racetiger? Besides the Line Celebrity, another ski in the running is the Head Wild Thang,
and last but not least, the head Wild One SW although they are a bit pricey. If I find I am having trouble I have no aversion to going home for a week and taking a clinic at Mt. Hood but that would be a last resort this late in the season, not a first one. And if I do end up with a ski thats not quite stiff enough or too wide I will just ad them to Karen's quiver :smile:
Tami (gravity Girl)
By the way I am now a certifed diva and an Angel Diva:grouphug:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is the Volkl Aurora that much different from the racetiger?
The short answer is YES.

The Aurora is race based but is super fat for a carver. How different it is from your Racetigers depends on which model of the RT you're on - GS, GS World Cup, SL, SL World Cup, or RC/Titanium. If you're on the consumer version of the RT, the construction is similar. Still, the Aurora is much fatter, has a very different sidecut, and (just guessing here since I haven't had a chance to demo it yet) is probably damper and softer. It's in the same group as the AC series/Grizzly. Strangely enough, I was completely unimpressed by the AC-40 even though I expected to love it, so I'm really curious to give the Aurora and Grizzly a spin.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you don't have time to demo I suggest looking at Diva's reviews of skis that they have demoed. You may also find that what one diva loves another may not so take that into consideration. I As far as bump skis, since I am just getting into them, I can't suggest a specific ski. What I do know is that there are many threads on skis that work well in bumps and even recommendations from some who attend bump clinics and what worked for those in their class. Since there are divas who ski in bumps all of the times with their "modern shaped skis" I think that someone saying that modern skis don't work well for bumps is probably a sales pitch and cannot be backed up.

These divas really know what they are talking about and you will love it here!

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PNWSkier;
Actually it was Jonny Mosley who said the new skis were not good for moguls, not a ski company or some marketing company with an agenda. If you don't know who he is, he won the gold medal in the Olympics for Moguls as well as the world cup title. With all respect to us Divas I think he may know what he is talking about. He is still on the US Ski Team.
Tami (Gravity Girl)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga