• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Skis Vs. Men's Skis

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I'll pass, since I have BLs, Auras, and Lady Hart Twins...all on advice from the Divas. The Attacks are not WS though...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Quality lacking----not by a long shot. This is a segment of the ski equipment plethora that has grown by leaps in bounds in recent years. According to my local ski shop https://www.raceskis.com/, they are full-bore ahead with women's specific and plan to feature more and more this season and in the future (and had plenty of them last year).

Again, it's just personal preference. I have - for lack of a better term - one pair that is a "unisex" ski because I got a chance to demo it and fell in love. Done deal. Major close-out, wasn't a huge outlay of $. Figured why not.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What does everyone think of the comparison between men's skis("unisex") and women's skis?

I ski unisex. Why? Because that's all I know.

I took a break from skiing to start a family as shaped skis came out, and the dawn of women's ski. So I naturally went for unisex when I bought my first shaped skis. I'm also a hefty, strong woman and have much more power/weight to push unisex around. I don't at all think it's a badge of honor or anything, just that I have found the perfect unisex skis through demo-ing so I bought them. Have never been on a women's ski, so I have no idea what I am missing. I planned to demo women's ski at demo days last weekend, but never got a chance. I'm not in the market for skis, just thought I'd see what they are all about. Next time I plan to buy, I'll demo a woman's.

So...it's more that I learned and was brought up on unisex skis (started skiing in 1970), so I naturally gravitate towards them. No bias, just totally happy with my unisex skis. I did buy women's boots last time, before that it was usually men's.

ETA: Did not imply slighter women can't push around unisex, but when you've got my height/weight ratio and big boned structure, it's easier. I've got 10-20 pds on my DH, and bigger wrists and ankles than him. So "if" unisex are heavier, stiffer than a similar women's (don't know), I would have less trouble than some slighter women.

Go with whatever works for you.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It all depends on the skier. Women's skis work better for some, unisex better for others. There are a lot of factors, but the only way to really find out is to go out and demo.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gotta decide for yourself, however, I know I like women-specific skis better...the reason...I've got a slight build, and the core of women's skis generally better suited for my frame.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a few short years ago, women's skis were either merely shortened versions of men's skis or were too soft for use by any athletic, serious skier. Today, however, that has really changed and most manufacturers are making truly unique, performance-oriented skis for all levels of female skiers.

Last year, for the first time in over 10 years, I bought women's skis. Admittedly, I demoed a lot of skis over the years before finding some that were substantial enough for me, but now I actually own 3 pairs of "girlie" skis (Aura, AX3 Gamma, Hart Lady Twin) and all possess performance on-par with the men's version while being just slightly more user-friendly.

Still, demoing is the only way to find out if any ski is "the right" ski for you, whether men's or women's. Many of the so-called "woman-specific" features can be helpful for some skiers but detrimental to others.

Here's my take: demo EVERYTHING. Buy whatever puts the biggest grin on your face, regardless of the label.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regardless of quality or performance...does anyone hate some of the girly graphics on skis? I have to admit, a women's ski series named 'luv' sorta nauseates me lol. I generally don't care what a ski looks like, but I'm not sure the manufacturers are doing themselves a great service with some of the designs. Maybe they are geared towards younger people? Although my nearly 13yo girl would never use a girly looking ski.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always hated the Luv series graphics and am not particularly thrilled by the Nordicas either, but have you seen the Hart????? Pretty much anything is better than the crap K2's been putting on their park series skis, too.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always hated the Luv series graphics and am not particularly thrilled by the Nordicas either, but have you seen the Hart????? Pretty much anything is better than the crap K2's been putting on their park series skis, too.
Just looked at the harts. O.M.G...cheetah? My 8yo girl would be in heaven lol! And roses? Blech... Makes you wonder if the ski companies really take us seriously, as skiers. I love having the word 'titanium' on my unisex skis lol...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta decide for yourself, however, I know I like women-specific skis better...the reason...I've got a slight build, and the core of women's skis generally better suited for my frame.

Yep, me too. I had a real issues with skis before women's skis came around. Glad that the manufacturers got into them -- and glad they finally began making some decent ones, too! But I could do without some of the girlie graphics. All the same, I think the new K2 graphics are an improvement over the old ones.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I find Dynastar's current graphics rather unfortunate. In general I'm not a fan of the whole super-girlied up graphics and scripted logos. why??

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find Dynastar's current graphics rather unfortunate. In general I'm not a fan of the whole super-girlied up graphics and scripted logos. why??

I like K2's new graphics, but the names have got to go!

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah, womens specific grafix and names usually just make me shake my head in wonder. :mad2:
It really hard to get anyone to take you seriously when it comes up in conversation that you ski on "Foxy Mammas" :bag:
I guess my new goal is to be such a rippin' skier that that I could be on something called "pink and pretty purple princess powder puff....whatever" and no one will think twice! :rolleyes:

My new Line Celebrities are very "florally" with hot pink bases....not the worst, but definately super girly. At least they are not named similarly to the above. :becky:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm digging the Volkl womens line, and the graphics. I hate the graphics on the Pearl this year, last years was much better. But the Aura, Kiku, the whole Luna, Fuego, Tierra, Aurora scheme, all of it, love love love.

As for the skis, I demoed a bunch of womens skis last winter, and did not really like any of them, except for the Fuego and Aura. =) Go figure. I feel like Volkl has been doing a really good job of making beefy women's specific skis, in lengths that I can actually ski. Haven't found anything from another company, that's a WS that I actually ski nicely.

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regardless of quality or performance...does anyone hate some of the girly graphics on skis? I have to admit, a women's ski series named 'luv' sorta nauseates me lol. I generally don't care what a ski looks like, but I'm not sure the manufacturers are doing themselves a great service with some of the designs. Maybe they are geared towards younger people? Although my nearly 13yo girl would never use a girly looking ski.

lol! Atomic's WS line last year was even worse - the "Foxy Mama" and the "Sugar Mama." :doh:

I'm with Telluride Ski Babe on functionality, though. I'm a small, non-muscular person. WS skies tend to be great for me, but to each her own!

And graphics...eh. Some are just inexplicably fug. But I also like some of them...I'm not a very girly-girl, but I must have some pink puffy hearts buried in there somewhere, because I am somehow attracted to a good-looking chick ski. I like this year's K2s and I've always thought Volkl's Attiva line was nice. And I love my Dynastar Exclusive Legend's (last year's)...but I think that's just because they're MINE. :becky:

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lol! Atomic's WS line last year was even worse - the "Foxy Mama" and the "Sugar Mama." :doh:

I'm with Telluride Ski Babe on functionality, though. I'm a small, non-muscular person. WS skies tend to be great for me, but to each her own!

And graphics...eh. Some are just inexplicably fug. But I also like some of them...I'm not a very girly-girl, but I must have some pink puffy hearts buried in there somewhere, because I am somehow attracted to a good-looking chick ski. I like this year's K2s and I've always thought Volkl's Attiva line was nice. And I love my Dynastar Exclusive Legend's (last year's)...but I think that's just because they're MINE. :becky:

Last year's Legends look nice, this years are a little much...same with all of Dynastar's women's line. And I do like most of the K2 and Volkl graphics, but why does the logo have to be in script on the women's skis?? That one really bugs me for some reason...perhaps why I like the look of the Nordicas.

altagirl

Staff member
yeah - I don't like the script on women's skis either. I like girly colors, but with bold designs. If it's going to be pink - it should be hot pink, not pastel. And the model names should be in some sort of fun/bold font, not flowery script.

But the bottom line is that I'm happy that manufacturers are actually making better women's skis for a whole range of ability levels these day.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know what's funny is that the ONLY comment I got on my Harts, other than surprise about them actually being Harts, was that they said Lady on them. Our race coach thought that was pretty lame until I explained that the skis aren't (lame, this is). :rolleyes:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think ski manufacturers could learn a LOT if they visited this forum! For starters, WHAT WE WANT IN A SKI! Including names, graphics, and colors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga