• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Fitness

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are Divas doing this winter to keep fit (besides skiing--which requires fitness but does not necessarily get or keep you fit)?

I plan to up my running this winter and I entered the MOAB 10K for December 6, 2008, to force me to train.

I will try skate skiing for the fitness aspects.

I will continue my muscle up/weight lifting class and occasionally a spinning class on my non-ski days.

:faint::faint::faint:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eek, my fitness schedule is just ramping up. I'll be spending anywhere from 3.5 hours to 7.5 hours per week doing swim, bike, run, strength repeat in addition to my ski days. Great for my fitness level, not so great for a social life.

Jilly

Staff member
Curves work out 3 days a week. Might do some night skiing once the season starts here in addition to the weekends. I put in that I would teach ladies night at the local bump, but haven't heard. Not sure about teaching at Tremblant this winter. Low man on the totem pole, so I may not get on if number of instructors is higher than guests! Full timers get first dibs - only right. Then the long term part timers - again only right. So I'm not holding out much hope, but I'll know next weekend after I'm up there.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running (trail and road), Masters swimming, gym climbing and incorporating lots of strength training while I'm not skiing.

Hopefully not being injured too~!

WildKitten

Certified Ski Diva
Here at home I'll keep up with my Total Gym and elliptical machine as usual. We have a seasonal rental at Okemo Dec 1st - April 15th. Last year while we were there I didn't do any workout, and it really showed in the Spring.
:(
This year I'm going to join Curves in Ludlow or the fitness center at Jackson Gore and go 3x week while we're there. I'm not going to have a repeat of last season. It's so much easier to keep the exercise up than it is to have to start all over again.

Besides, it'll really keep me in good condition for skiing!!
:ski2:

altagirl

Staff member
Let's see:

Speed Skating 3 nights a week (1.5 hour sessions with my coach)

Dry land weight training for speed skating 1.5 hours a week.

Skate Skiing / Classic XC skiing - plan on 1-2 days a week for a few hours at a time usually.

AT Skiing - hopefully at least once a week. Obviously that's weather and snow dependent.

Mountain biking - trips down south to where there is dirt... at least once a month.

Spin class - aiming for 2x/week. At least I can do that at 5:45am because I don't know where else that would fit in my schedule.

I need more hours in the week....

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on how many days a week I ski, I will still work out with my trainer 1-2 days/week. Which is strength/flexibilty/endurance and then I use the elliptical or stair machine after my workout with him.

I also will find time for snowshoeing...gets my dog out of the house and some exercise too!

Christy

Angel Diva
The leader of the ski fitness class at our gym said she'd keep teaching it as long as we keep showing up (it was supposed to end the 24th), which makes me happy. It's a great class and none of the other classes at the gym really appeal to me. I probably should try a boot camp class sometime.

Other than that, I'll just keep doing pilates and doing my regular gym routine (usually the elliptical and ab exercises and maybe nautalis).

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got PT clearance to work back into my "normal" winter spin class schedule, which is usually 3-4 days a week. I also try to swim once or twice a week. As soon as my knee lets me, I'll be running once or twice a week as well. Last year, I started training for an April half-marathon in January, so there was LOTS of running. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to try to do a spring half-mary again or just work towards building my base for triathlon season!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to try something new this year. I've been hitting the conditioning really hard for the last 5 weeks or so and I've decided I'm going to trust the strength that I've built and bring my weekday volume way back once ski season is in full swing. I always make the mistake of doing too much during the week all winter, and my legs are fried for weekend skiing when I REALLY want them.

So, I'm going from lifting 2-3 times a week to 1-2 times a week (depending on if I have a two or three day ski weekend), and I'm all but eliminating the cardio during the week except for night hikes with the dog and maybe some skate skiing with AG and the girls. The 4+ hour ski tours two days a week will be more than enough to keep my lungs strong and hammer my legs into oblivion. No biking for me until March. It's all about sport-specific training this winter.

Altagirl's gonna kick all our butts this season! Dear Lord....

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to any MTB I can squeeze in between rains / trail closures, I'm doing James Wilson's MTB DB combo workout and am loving it!

It's a 12-week program and I'm on Week 4. I noticed improvement on the bike after just the first week.

My theory is that it should cross over to skiing nicely. So, it will be fun to see if my stamina has improved from last year.

https://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/
https://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/products.html

Even though it's advertised to do at home, I still do it at the gym, since I'm already paying for it and they have all different size dumbbells there.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I plan to keep running 3 times a week. Outdoors as much as possible, on the treadmill when necessary - I hate the treadmill, much prefer running outside. I'll also keep doing my strength/weight exercises and I'd like to try snowshoeing.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and you can bring a thermos of hot soup and some french bread in your backpack when you go snowshoeing. :drool: Seriously. :thumbsup:

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
For the past 12 weeks I've been exercising 6 hours/wk. 3 days of weights and 3 days of cardio. If i'm really sore after my first day back on the slopes I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Sierra

Certified Ski Diva
Run 4 days a week and swim 1-2 days. I take long walks on snowshoes with my dog... funny, I never think of those as part of my fitness routine, although they are a good workout.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and you can bring a thermos of hot soup and some french bread in your backpack when you go snowshoeing. :drool: Seriously. :thumbsup:

Now you're talking! That's what I like - don't call it exercise... turn it into an adventure!
:thumbsup:

abc

Banned
I've changed my routine, or have my routines changed for me, the last few years.

Before, I x-c ski and that's a BIG workout. But there hasn't been much snow where I am any more. So instead, I simply mountain bike. But that's not as hard a work out as x-c skiing and some times the weather is just such neight was possible (rain!).

So far, I've been relying on whatever fitness I build in the summer to see me through the winter.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My winter fitness will be a daily reminder to myself that I am a complete woman, a goddess. I am curvy and have lumps and bumps. I am the Wild Woman who is free of self loathing and can look in the mirror and say -- You are beautiful.

LOL... i'm reading a ton of Female Psychology books...hehe

outdoor divas

Certified Ski Diva
~Women's Quest had a great learn to skate program in Colorado and I must say SKATE skiing is one heck of a workout. I got a Rossignol skate and boot set up last year from outdoor DIVAS and I am hooked. I love it b/c you can go for 1hr and get a great workout plus the ticket prices is much less $15-$20dollars a day. Most places have dog loops as well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga