• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will the high cost of gas put a crimp in your ski plans??

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hopefully gas prices won't crimp my ski style, either...I just won't go anywhere else, I'll conserve during the week...and eat PB&J's.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heck no! My Prius and I will go wherever and whenever we want!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But I will work a little harder to carpool with people. Finding ski buddies here helps with that! :D

Too bad you don't live around here!

Isn't carpooling with me to ski on small piles of land covered in machine made snow worth moving halfway across the country?

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our "home mountain" is about 2-1/2 hours away. It won't really stop us though as we'll just stay longer and make fewer trips :clap: Seriously, unless gas it $7.00 per gallon by next winter it really won't defer me from much. I'm luck in that I get to work from home and dh drives a company truck so our fuel bills are nominal to say the least. I'll cut back other places or work a bit more to make up some extra. :love:

QA1

Certified Ski Diva
No. I am soooo glad I have the diesel. My fuel efficiency has doubled, which makes me feel a lot better about the price of fuel. I am more unhappy about the parking fees, unless I am at Mary Jane.

C

CMCM

We're about an hour & 15 min. from Squaw, and still spent around $600 on gas on our 50 ski trips last season.....next year we'll probably take our Honda Civic when we can, weather permitting (mostly spring), otherwise our 4-runner will eat up the gas like a big hog. Shudder! But I'll scrimp and save from now till ski season to save up for the gas demon, I can't bear to give up any ski days.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I already scrimped to save for lift tickets & gas, so I don't have a lot more places to save from. I'll see less of family this year. I'm driving about 10 mph slower on trips when I have the time to get places later. And I didn't eat out much before, but it's less now. Hopefully others from here will go to 'Women On Wednesday" at Cataloochee next year so I'll have friends to carpool with. There will still be an impact on my skiing...:Cry:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do you know a girl is a Ski Diva? When she's willing eat PB&J's in order to pay for lift tickets!

YEAH! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just bought my season pass for this coming season, $649 split in 2 payments on my credit card. [making shopping list: bread, PB & J, cheap beer ]

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since answering this thread earlier, I think things are going to have to change for me.

In the UK at the moment, fuel costs are just rocketing as are food prices. The "credit crunch" as it is known here is really starting to bite.

I am a ski instructor working all year round. I work on artificial slopes (do work on snow too). At the moment our bookings are the worst they have been for years. Our summer holiday period so far is looking pretty dead. In contrast, this time two and three years ago I was pretty much fully booked for the summer.

So all in all, I think I may have to change career at some point pretty soon as the wages don't pay the bills really. I am married so that is something, but I like to be independent on the money front. It drives my husband nuts that I am. I'm very lucky to be married to someone so wonderful who has let me play on skis for so many years. I think maybe I should go back to uni and re-train, do a postgrad or something, but heaven only knows in what.

Boo hoo!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed it's at 4.50/gal today for premium. Let's hear some regional updates.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski plans won't change, but I doubt we'll be taking the Jeep to the slopes when we have the diesel Jetta. I just wish they made the Jetta in an AWD and TDI. Right now you can have one or the other but not both! :doh:

I've been taking my bike to work a lot more than I usually would.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now in Toronto regular gas is 132.9 cents/litre. I'm not sure but I think that translates into $4.83/gallon.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
4.09 here. I'm still much more worried about the rural poor in this region. We all depend on heating (a/k/a diesel) as a home heat fuel here - and it's significantly higher than gasoline. A lot of people may wind up freezing to death here next winter....:( I'm sure a big charitable organization will kick in hard. I'll contribute. Even worse, most home furnaces here also are responsible for heating water (on demand). Few have water heaters. So---no heating oil=no heat OR hot water.....Too bad this part of the country is so locked into heating technology (and furnace efficiency, or lack thereof) from the 1950's......

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
'Fraid so, but it's more than the cost of gasoline for me at this point (about 3.5 gals r/t) - it's heating oil (a/k/a diesel), which is pushing $4.50 - and at around 1,100 gallons required per heating season to heat my house.....and due/pre-paid by July 15....or else more $$. 80% of the homes in this state (largely rural) heat with oil. Was 2.59 last winter. Huge crisis pending in this state. Very sad.

I'll likely make the same local trips - but nothing out of the region in my future....:(

Wow, I thought propane was bad. I like to do the pre-paid thing to. I am a little ticked right now though because they came last week when I wasn't home and dumped 200 gallons in my tank at pre-summer rates. I can still pay now for next year at the lower rates this summer and have credit next winter, but they stung me by filling me up!
We are close enough to skiing that it won't hamper my personal plans terribly. But for the casual skiers, definately will cut alot of skiing out for them. I am worried about some of our smaller ski areas surviving. I do think numbers will be down as well as their costs going up.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know what would be the greatest thing, if you lived at the TOP of the ski mountain, you could just ski down (all day) and take the lift up to get home! (no gas needed at all!) :ski2:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Because I work at my local mountain I have a season pass - it also includes the other mountains (really hills) the company owns - so I don't have that cost to worry about. I probably won't take as many day trips and will likely carpool this year with others from my area when working.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga