• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will the economy affect your ski season?

altagirl

Staff member
No pass for me this season. But that's actually due to a number of things. And I did buy new AT boots and bindings... so my money is just getting spent on gear instead of a season pass.

DawnSuiter

Certified Ski Diva
Well... last year we spent about 4k on lifts all over NC & WV & overnight stays... this year we're dialing it back for sure.

We bought season weekday passes for hubby & I at the best local place 3 hours away and will do Mon/Tuesdays staying overnight every week when our daughter is in school and then day long trips paying for her lift when she's out for vacation once per week.

Then we got BOGO passes at a different local resort, so we'll go there another day on her weeks off... they also offer BOGO on Wednesday afternoons Jan 14-end of season so we'll do that too. And we can get comped day passes at Ober for the ski school work we do, we don't usually do that but will take better advantage of that this year for sure. After all.. they need new photos on the website, we'll HAVE to go ski to get them... tough job I tell ya.

SOOO.. that's how we've got it broken down...
will cost 25% of what we paid last year... less variety only 3 resorts instead of all 6 nearby... but we still get to ski, that's all that counts!

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am trying hard to have the economic conditions NOT affect us. I work part time contract for a supplier to GM and tomorrow is my last day for awhile, maybe forever. I have worked in the auto industry since I graduated from college in 1990. In more recent years, I have just worked contract positions so that I can have flexibility while my kids are young. DH is a an engineer for another supplier not quite so reliant on GM. They'd have to cut deep to get to him but it is not impossible. I do NOT like having to rely on DH for $$$ and I am worried about marital stress if he asks me to cut back on ski trips. Good thing I bought my Volkl Fuegos in September!!

On the other hand, I feel 'spoiled' worrying about ski trips when some of my co-workers have no 'reserves' or spouses that make good $$$ to fall back on.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, the concession we had to make this season is to forgo passes again at our beloved Squaw Valley....absolutely just too expensive at $950 for a midweek pass. Squaw is pretty much double or more what any other Tahoe resort costs, and I can't figure out why. I guess because they can get it! And they don't care how many or how few buy their passes! So instead, we bought full anytime passes (senior pass rate :smile: ) at a different resort for $139 each, and since it's only 46 miles from us, we'll use less gas going there as well (Squaw was farther away, more miles, longer drive). You can't beat this price, and the pass pays for itself in about 3 trips!

Yeah, $950 is insane. Where did you switch to? We are KW.

C

CMCM

Yeah, $950 is insane. Where did you switch to? We are KW.

Boreal, just before Truckee. They're always the first to open each year,and this year they spent $2.5 million on a high speed quad with a longer run, a ton of big new snowmaking guns, they expanded runs by taking out some trees, so it's now "passable" since there is more room to get out of the way of crazy snowboarders. This place is not my first choice by any means, but it's a way to ski a LOT, which is my goal this year. Lotsa miles on the skis! I've already got 5 ski days in this season, and I'm going again tomorrow! :laugh:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thankfully no. :clap: Dh and I both have jobs where we either telecommute or drive a company vehicle. The gas crunch didn't hit us. Also, my money is just gravy money and since my work load has gone up or disposable income has as well. :love:

Jilly

Staff member
Well around here the drive $$ just got really better. 78.8 cents a litre. I just filled up for under $40 for the first time in years it seems like. Just got to keep the money coming in. Company wise we're busy into the new year. But I can see signs of a dry spell coming.

SusieK

Certified Ski Diva
Yep - usually purchase Colorado Pass and take 3 trips/year out west each winter. This year, went ahead and purchased the pass, but will most likely dial it back to 2 trips. Air fare for this December (NY-Denver) was outrageous. I bought my pass and air tix the same week, ouch!

abc

Banned
This is one season when waiting till last minute might be the strategy.

I was checking the airfare for the past week for my MLK weekend trip and I just decided I'd gamble by NOT buying tickets that are higher than my expected to pay. Lo and behold, today Jetblue drop their fare. I snatched it up.

I'm booking lodgings for trips I'm going for sure. All of them can be cancelled up to a certain date. So if the price drops before then, I'll simply ask them to match it or cancel it. But I'm leaving the air part till I hit my target (which is basically the lowest a route had in the last few years, I just have a huntch it will drop that low).

Instead of skiing less, I aim to ski the same amount for less. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga