• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will the economy affect your ski season?

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reading the thread about missing a ski season got me thinking about these tough economic times. I am guessing that my DH and I are no different from most people these days - doing a little belt tightening wherever we can.
We've had season passes for the past several years, but last year we figured we didn't do much better than break even at Mt Snow, so this year we're not buying them, and will take advantage of other deals on daily lift tickets instead. Besides, we'll feel free to try new places, which is always good.
It doesn't look like we'll be buying equipment either. I'm due for new boots, but I won't start looking until I know when I'll be able to ski again following my surgery.
As for our annual ski trip west, we're in wait and see mode.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It probably will affect my season, from the perspective that while paying $100/day for daycare on the mountain was never pain-free, it's really going to hurt a lot more this year. So, unless I get lucky, I may not get all that many days in this year. We'll see...

Christy

Angel Diva
Luckily things aren't any different for us (due in large part to my husband's foresight--he worked for Washington Mutual, saw the writing on the wall earlier this year and jumped ship). We bus to work so gas prices don't matter, live in Wa state so have hydro power which is cheap, and luckily we're nowhere near retirement age so the tanking 401ks don't matter (much) right now, either. There's so much talk of higher airfares, etc but there are still deals to be found, so it's not going to affect our travel. We have trips to Whistler and Copper/Aspen booked.

I work for the federal government so depending on who gets elected, and how badly the economic crisis and all this bailout money affects federal employment...knock on wood.

abc

Banned
Oh yeah!!!

If I get laid off, I'll get to do a "season"!!! :smile:

On the other end of the spectrum, I've postponed purchase of a new bike and a new kayak. And the replacement of another bike and another kayak will only proceed on the condition that I found a buyer for the items to be replaced.

All my ski equipmenets are fairly new so I wasn't planning to buy any new stuff anyway. No change there.

But, if I don't get laid off, I probably have to work a lot more hours to take up the work load of those who got laid off. So skiing days may suffer as a result. I'll see.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, maybe. We were already planning on tightening just because we're about to spend an arm and a leg on an extensive house renovation. DH and I have a trip booked to Whistler, though. I was planning on taking the kids to Alta/Bird in January, but that probably won't happen. But it might. (It only costs as much as a nice dishwasher, which unfortunately makes things look really cheap when you're looking at remodeling. LOL)

Definately. I am self-employed so when money is tight, business slows down. Thankfully, I purchased my season passes last Spring, booked and have paid for most of my two ski trips (ESA Stowe in December and the Diva Summit in March), and my trip to Smuggler's Notch in March is paid for as it's our year for the timeshare week. I also have the equipment and other stuff that I need, as do my kids, so except for paying off the credit card bill for the purchases I made in that department recently, I'm all set there.

One challenge will be to take all of my planned mid-week days off. If business is slow on the days when I'm in the office and something comes up to do on the days when I'm scheduled to ski (which can only be certain days when my kids are with their Dad so I can leave before and return after their school hours), I may have to work instead of ski (work now ski later). The other effect that the economy will have on my ski plans for this season will be my ability to take lessons with the coach at Okemo that I enjoy working with. Last season I was only able to take 2 lessons but I got so much out of them that I was hoping to do 4 this season. 2 hour privates are very expensive though and I always tip at least $10/hr. on top of the fee. I also want to schedule a 1/2 day private when I'm in Colorado so I can go to areas on the mountain and try things that I would typically shy away from (like bumps and steeps and deeper powder).

Mostly I'm finding ways to cut back here at home 'cause snow time is really a priority for our family. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, being self employed has its perks, but if things get slow, I'm needed to find more business.

But as for skiing this year, everything except a pair of skis and part of the Summit trip has been bought and paid for. Next year might different.

So far the economy here is Canada isn't as bad as the states and europe. Figure it'll come soon enough.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, being self employed has its perks, but if things get slow, I'm needed to find more business.

But as for skiing this year, everything except a pair of skis and part of the Summit trip has been bought and paid for. Next year might different.

So far the economy here is Canada isn't as bad as the states and europe. Figure it'll come soon enough.

Not to mention the distinct advantage of being able to shop in the states and get more for your dollar. :wink: It used to be the other way around, in High School I would save up all my money and shop on our trips to Canada.

I am definately battening down in alot of areas but our state has always had a weaker economy than others so I am pretty used to it.
I don't think it will affect my time on snow, but I probably will not be able to hang out as afterwards. I expect to see alot of people smuggling in the PBR cans this year again.

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now gas prices are 2.46 a gallon around here. I have to say that is a blessing, but it's probably only signs of trouble.

I dropped my ESPP from work, just to have a few extra bucks in my paycheck. There is rumor that we wont receive raises AGAIN next year, as we didn't this year, but that will be seen in January... not sure yet on that one. Our company stock price has dropped $21 a share in the last three years, and it's forcing many cuts across the board. That may not seem bad, but it's only at $3 a share right now. I've seen my company lay off 19,000 people in the last two years, so I'm always on pins and needles as I know that MY position was eliminated a year and a half ago, then slowly brought back, and then I was promoted as the others were no longer employed.

My ski season though, not at the moment. I have gear and season passes, so locally we are fine. I had wanted to plan a trip for january to Vermont with BF, but we'll see how things at work go.

I'm young yet, so while looking at my 401k and ESPP makes me cringe, I try not to worry... I have time.

I worry for my parents though. My father is turning 60 this year and badly needs to retire for health reasons. My concerns about the economy are more for them, than for me. They are raising my 10 year old niece who skis, and fortunately they purchased her pass last spring.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is when working at a ski area is really, really nice: no worrying about lift ticket/season pass prices. But then again it is not a very high-paying job, even with a part time job on the side. I'll be conserving money as best I can even without thinking about the economy because my winter jobs (combined) don't pay as much as my summer job, and my rent is much higher.

As for getting new equipment, well, I can offer the following rationalization: after its first big rebound, the stock market fell sharply due to fears about lower retail sales. If I buy another pair of skis and/or new boots, I'll be doing my part to help the economy, right?

Jilly

Staff member
Gloria, right now you're making 12 cents on my dollar. I'm hoping that, that helps the ski industry - tourism thing.

I was talking to a client this morning and he sees that the construction industry will fall off soon and it will be a completely dead for the winter. Well what else is new, its always slow in the winter. But he see that things in spring will be slow to start. Fine by me, we've had the busiest fall ever!! I need a rest!

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in private practice as a psychotherapist.. so when the economy is down many people think there mental health care isn't as important as putting food on the table, which i would have to agree with. So money is tight, but I'm hoping to still have a good ski season.

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
It will definitely affect my season. I'm a civil engineer in California and was working in the land development industry. Nobody obviously is building homes now so I moved to transportation field. But it is slowing down as well... A lot of people I know got laid off. I feel lucky that I still have a job here....but maybe it's time for change and move somewhere near the mountains (for an obvious reason :-))!? I am trying to save for an emergency but hopefully I can get some out for ski trips....crossing my fingers....

OuiSkiToo

Certified Ski Diva
Right now I don't think it will - bought our season passes early and paid for the ski house share so we're all set for the next 6 months!

I did take on a part-time bookkeeping job just to give us a little cushion. We won't do a trip to Switzerland this year, but we'll stay up at the house & use our passes skiing our regular mountain.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gloria, right now you're making 12 cents on my dollar. I'm hoping that, that helps the ski industry - tourism thing.

I was talking to a client this morning and he sees that the construction industry will fall off soon and it will be a completely dead for the winter. Well what else is new, its always slow in the winter. But he see that things in spring will be slow to start. Fine by me, we've had the busiest fall ever!! I need a rest!
That surprises me, I haven't checked lately, but I have alot of international shoppers right now due to our weak dollar. Mostly European but I had an inquiry from Canada over the weekend.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, thankfully, I don't believe that the economy is going to effect our routine skiing. I purchased my season pass over the summer so now it's just put gas in the car and drive up the road 30ish miles when I want to go. DBF only takes a few days off of work to ski midweek w/ me and we usually are flexible enough to find some kind of discounted day/ticket. DS#2 works at the local hill, so he's all set. DS#1 doesn't have time between work and school! Our social skiing is done at night at the local hill and the price of lift tickets was $15 (will probably go up a few dollars this year, but we will still go 1 to 2 nights a week. )
I do believe, however, that we may not make the small trips we had planned (overnighters to VT) and most likely will put the thoughts of traveling West aside for this year.

I'll bet the family is now glad Mom found all those great gear deals for everyone...we're set in that dept! :eyebrows:

mollmeister

Angel Diva
It probably will affect my season, from the perspective that while paying $100/day for daycare on the mountain was never pain-free, it's really going to hurt a lot more this year. So, unless I get lucky, I may not get all that many days in this year. We'll see...

This is the big issue for me. Ski school and childcare are EXPENSIVE, so that will definitely impact us. Also still waffling on whether or not we can do the Auras for me as an Xmas present. (sniff. Wah.) DH is NOT in the best industry for this market, although he is still finding some ways to bring in money. But I am nervous and crossing all appendages.

Itri, I wish we were a little bit closer, so we could do a couple play dates and see how our kids get along, and if we could figure out a way to ski-share kids!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't afford NOT to ski!
Because of the general nature of our business and how much stress we deal with during summer and fall months, we NEED the slow down and mental refueling that ski season offers.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It will definitely affect my season. I'm a civil engineer in California and was working in the land development industry. Nobody obviously is building homes now so I moved to transportation field. But it is slowing down as well... A lot of people I know got laid off. I feel lucky that I still have a job here....but maybe it's time for change and move somewhere near the mountains (for an obvious reason :-))!? I am trying to save for an emergency but hopefully I can get some out for ski trips....crossing my fingers....

You should try to get into transportation and infrastructure. My hubby is a year away from getting his Civil Eng degree and he's currently working for a consulting company that does work mostly for road construction, railways, and infrastructure. No one has been laid off and business is still cranking. When the economy sucks, the state is still always willing to work on roads!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga