• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why's it so warm in the east and mid-west right now?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
In case you've been wondering what's been keeping the cold weather away from the east and mid-west, it's the Polar Vortex. Yes, THAT Polar Vortex. Here's an interesting article about it from NBC News.

Totally jealous of the snow out west right now!

Damn that polar vortex. Checked the weather and end of next week looks good with temps lower each day so here's friggen hoping this warm crap is over. People in my office are all happy its like this. I say noooooooooooo you people have your summer, this is winter, December, my time...........

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I had 17 ski days by this time, this year only 7 so far. Of course, I've been sick, too, but still......:frown:

Jilly

Staff member
I decided that quality is going to override quantity this year!! Not skiing till after Christmas unless we get a dump!!!!

I decided that quality is going to override quantity this year!! Not skiing till after Christmas unless we get a dump!!!!

I think that is going to be DH's mantra. My boss is a regular killington skier and has a share up there and hasn't even skied yet. She's after quality, not quality as well.

I think I'm going to be skiing solo until some dumpage happens. Maybe it's because I haven't been skiing as long or maybe I just want to get as much practice as possible in before ski school instruction starts. Either way, at the moment my mantra is quantity not quality. Perhaps my tune will change one day but right now that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This season I'm hoping for quality... Heavenly, Northstar, and Kirkwood each got 24 inches (yes 2 feet) in the last 24 hours....

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, this weather is getting annoying. The one year I actually save a vacation day so that I can go ski on a weekday in December, this happens!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are affected too. Warm, sunny and mostly dry. Had some snow mid-week but nothing to write home about. Pistes are in good shape although getting a little icy, but that's about it. Gets boring quickly too. Unless it starts snowing Christmas can be a nightmare: lower resorts will be bussing their tourists here if they don't have sufficient coverage.

Fingers crossed things will change next week. Temps start to dip next friday below 30 here so hope the hold of winter will finally grab on for the duration. In the meantime its Vermont tomorrow for me for a day of spring skiing in December.

Last edited:

GingerSnaps

Certified Ski Diva
I don't mind the mild temperatures at home, but I want it to be cold enough to have good snow north and west of me. If there could be some magic line around Long Island/5 boroughs that turned to winter conditions, I'd be pretty excited.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I am right there with you Ginger...if my friend's boat wasn't winterized, I probably would have been in a wetsuit waterskiing on Sunday, and if I could keep doing that all winter down here and heading up state to snow ski, I would have the best of all worlds!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I love this! A Facebook friend of mine who lives here in VT posted the following:

Woke up to pissing rain and 48 degrees. Meanwhile, Snowbird reported 18" new snow in the past 24 hours. So I was thinking, if El Niño was an Atlantic phenomenon, It should be called "Yo Joey!" As in Yo Joey! Look at all this snow! Can you imagine the TV weather guys saying, "Looks like a strong Yo Joey! is forming off the Atlantic coast and could deliver a 1-2 punch to New York City and Boston this winter with snow and colder temperatures, plus a ton of snow for Northern New England. Anyway, I'm holding out for Yo Joey! to arrive in January, seeing as El Niño has pretty much pissed on any opportunity of a White Christmas here in VT.

Come on Yo Joey!!!!!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've decided the snow gods are angry with the East...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga