• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whitewater?

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
ABC - glad to hear that you have been the the Broken Group and Telegraph Cove. These are a couple of my favorite spots too. The sea life in both of those areas is remarkable. I especially love the indigo colored bat stars that inhabit the Broken Group. Very exotic! We have no shortage of gentle ocean swells. Yes, I am very lucky to live in the best kayaking area, however, I have to travel to get really great snow! I guess one can't have everything....
Skier 31 - that is the best place to start - try a few pool sessions and get comfortable with wet exits and more importantly, getting back into the boat. Once you have those skills under your belt, you are on your way to the ocean. Like any sport, it just takes time to build confidence. After all, most of us are ski divas! :D

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hey all, I just got **some** of our whitewater pics up in my new Flickr albums. Mostly it's my hubby's crazy class 5 catarafting adventures.
If you want to see some PNW whitewater action....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30690833@N07/ "whitewater"

Have fun.

Cascade!!! Woooh! I'm a bit jealous! No class V for me yet. Still working on IV. Have you done much cat boating? I feel like since you're from WA, I should have met you by now. Are you part of WRRR?

Aha! NF Payette last Labor Day. I was there! I assume you know Fish?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Me, I am totally fairweather boater, and mostly a passenger these days but I'll paddle on a paddle crew- Lochsa, Clark Fork. Canyon run of the Payette and so on.

I tried and tried to be a decent class 3 boater, and I do OK, but anything bigger than that is incredibly anxiety inducing. I knew when I was ready to puke and everyone else was "oh, cool" that I needed to rethink why I was there. I am much happier helping out with a paddle while he rows, or hanging out. I don't do any of the class 5, and just some of the 4.

We didn't go to the Payette this year, hubby is nursing some broken bones from a MTB incident. I imagine we know someone named fish - we mostly hang with a lot of the folks from Boise. I'm just the tag along and shuttle bunny.

We are Eastern WA so that may be where the disconnect is. The guys go west once in a while, but more often the boating is Idaho ways, or even BC. WRRR? I don't know what that is.

Yet to be posted are pics from this year's Selway at high water, and last year's MF Salmon at High Water. One of our friends has a shot of my son running Dagger Falls that I can't wait to see.

gg

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't make it this year either. Fish is Scott Waidelich, works for Canoe and Kayak, he was there running the N.Fork top to bottom in a cat boat last year as well. WRRR is the Washington Recreational River Runners, I was camping with about 30 cat boaters last year. Do you know the Beckers? I was in camp with their group.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thats what I figured. If he boats with them, I'm positive you've met Scott, he was a good friend for a while. I still think they're all crazy for running that section. Woooohh.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
wellll. I think you guys did the Canyon Run the day after we did. And I got a nice Canoe and Kayak hat... must have been from your friend.

what a small world.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep. Exactly. So strange. We'll most likely run into eachother again.:laugh:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
You western girls are lucky with your rivers, but I've found some great play waves here in the east so I can't complain.

I finally got my stern squirt down.....way fun! I rolled about 3 dozen times in the process, but who cares?

I do see a Jackson All Star in my future! Playboating is too fun!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Pics from this past Sunday's river run on the upper Lehigh River, PA:

P9270103.JPG

P9270064.JPG

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wooooh!! Nice!!

Since we are posting pictures...

My first (and only, as of now) rodeo competition.
n1578480112_30016202_7946.jpg

n1578480112_30016203_8184.jpg

These are taken by a friend who paddles for Riot Kayaks, and does quite a bit of whitewater photography.
n1578480112_30033700_9374.jpg

n1578480112_30033706_431.jpg

And these are from various river days!
n1578480112_30021670_6242.jpg

n1578480112_30028095_2941.jpg

n1578480112_30028097_3052.jpg

This is what we do on in Washington when it's playboating season. :becky:
s1578480112_30049649_4252.jpg

I like kayaking. :rolleyes:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Sweeeeeet! Nice shots! I like the bow stall. Hey, could you ever get your 2 Fun to do a bow stall? I'm finding it hard to get the bow all that way under the water. Stern squirts - easy. Bow stalls - hard.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Here's a few more, what the heck:

My son who is 22 today, Lochsa Falls
2875457129_838b854f6f.jpg

Me, confluence of Snake and Salmon Rivers:
2875894195_def35b679c.jpg

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, now I want to kayak!! Dang, this is an expensive forum for me to read!!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Let me tell you, kayaking ROCKS! And rolling is FUN! Once you learn to roll, you can try so many things, because you know you can get back up. I like my little kayak because I'm sitting IN the water, not ON it. But it's something that takes getting used to. I think if I were in class IV or V water, I'd be in a raft!:laugh: I'm only good up to class III right now....

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, but it took quite a bit of work, and it was way too small for me. If I had a Fun? No way.

All Star however, bowstalls very nicely.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well if rolling really freaks you out, there's always catarafts... Here's my DH in his new play boat:

2874452482_60cf80bb67.jpg

That looks like the Lochsa either House Wave or Onno's Hole? It's been at least 11 years since I've boated the Lochsa I remember house is the breaking diagonal and Onno's I remember as being more on river right? It's been so long though.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You western girls are lucky with your rivers, but I've found some great play waves here in the east so I can't complain.

See I think you have amazing rivers in the east. I did the West Virginia tour one fall and holy cow! We don't have anything that even compares technically to the Gauley. We don't have as many people on the river at once, but nothing like that. Most of our rivers are pool and drop and we get big water in the spring, where you guys have "the bony stuff" with the features and the must make moves. We definately have some great pristine rivers for multi-day adventures but for play boating, I think you have it better there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga