• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whitewater?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any of you into whitewater kayaking? When the snow starts melting, the rivers start getting good. And when the rivers stop being good.... usually it starts snowing!:thumbsup:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spent probably 5 or 6 spring fall summers on the water at lest 4-5 times a week either rafting or kayking. We moved out of town a couple years ago and a little farther south of the whitewater, we are a mile or so from a river now, but it's more of a slack water river. Since then though they have put in a play wave right downtown and I am starting to get fired up again. It's just so easy to go after work now, there is really no excuse not to. So we'll see, I think it's been 3 years since I've done any real whitewater though, they say the roll is like riding a bike. I will see......

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am a nice class 3 occasional rower, better passenger.:smile:
Our flotilla consists of an IK, a 15' self bailer, and three catarafts. Really, its' hubby's passion - he's a class 5 catarafter up here in the PNW. Both my sons boat too. Their rite of passage had been flipping "dad" and the raft in Webber on the Middle Fork Salmon at high water.

We regularly hit the Lochsa, Clark Fork, various forks of the Salmon, Wenatchee and others.

We definitely tell the seasons around here by which pile of gear is in piles in the shop.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We regularly hit the Lochsa, Clark Fork, various forks of the Salmon, Wenatchee and others..

The Wenatchee is the only one of the above that I haven't spent alot of time on, it's funny to think we've probably seen or talked to each other at knifes edge or somewhere along the way.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's one of those things I keep meaning to do but never get around to. I did one trip down the Hoh out on the Olympic peninsula a couple years ago. I have a kayak, but thus far I've only taken it for some nice leisurely lake paddles.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I started whitewater kayaking this summer and I love it. I just got off the river about 2 hours ago.....lovely day. Mostly, the local rivers here are just class II and III, but that's enough for me at my level. AND...there's some great play waves, and I've found I love surfing and playing. I bought a playboat, and today starting working on doing a stern squirt. I also did a bunch of "combat rolls" in the rapids. It was a blast. It's a great way to get a workout AND beat the heat and humidity of the Eastern summers.

Although, it's cooling off here, and the water temps are going down as well. Dryshirts needed! When it starts to get too cold for me to kayak, that means ski season is around the corner!:D

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aw! Exciting! Just got off myself!

What playboat did you buy??

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I got a Jackson Fun. Actually, it's a hybrid playboat/river runner. More stable than Jackson's full-on playboat, the Star.

Though in a few years, I wouldn't mind owning one of those, too!:becky:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've owned four Jackson boats in the last couple years. I love them.

Started out with a Classic 2Fun, then a Classic Fun, then bought a new 2Fun, had a tangent with Bliss-Stick (worked for them as an agent) and then decided I didnt like those boats, and bought an Allstar.

I used to paddle the Star every once in a while, when I sold Jackson at a kayak shop. I weigh WAY too much for that boat, but it's still fun.

LETS TALK KAYAKS!!!!! =) Something I know wayyyy more about than skis.

The Fun is fantastic boat, I really reccomend it for learning, because its got more forgiving edges, but you can still play around. I think you will find that if you buy and Allstar (which would be right for your size) in a year or two, you will end up selling the Fun.

I'm glad you have a combat roll! Exciting!! Now... You really need to plan that trip to the West coast. Bend has Mt. Bachelor, and amazing paddling as well. Two reasons to come?! Fantastic!

abc

Banned
LETS TALK KAYAKS!!!!! =) Something I know wayyyy more about than skis.
Like skis, I don't know what kayak I like, only what kayak I DON'T like!

I don't like big bathtubs with lots of volumes. I float down the rapid like a cork! Safe but boring.

I've been paddling the Dagger RX (and occasionally an Innazone 222) for the last 2 years. It was fine going down river but I hadn't try any "play" (that involves one end of the boat out of the water) yet. When I tried for the 1st time to bring the stern up, that's when I realize it's still too big...

"Sample" a Wave Sport Project 45 and loved it. That is, until I realize I couldn't roll it! :( That's a bit of a shocker since I usually can roll just about any bathtub up, let alone one that fits so tightly I could barely squeeze my long legs in!!!

I did work that minor issue out. But towards the end of the day (lots of bow rescues later), I was pretty exhausted so need to wait for next time to make a more complete evaluation of the Project...

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE the Project!! I weigh wayyy too much for the 45 as well, but it's an absolute blast!

abc

Banned
I believe there's a bigger one than the 45, for the more "normal size" folks (I'm definitely on the "small" side).

For me, I'm still at the stage of trying out boats that are smaller and smaller. Haven't really been able to figure out the shape yet. So lately I've been trying to squeeze myself INTO boats that doesn't look like big enough to sit ON. :smile: The Project is actually quite a tight fit for me. But I'm not sure if it's the hull design or just plain (lack of) volume that seems to work for me.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep. There's a 52 and... I think 62? I should paddle the 52, but... the 45 is more fun. =)

abc

Banned
I know what you mean! :smile: Lots of people purposedly go one size down in boat size so they have more "fun" by being IN the water.

For once, it's actually harder for us skinny people. I really don't need much volume because I simply don't weight much. So many boats I'm IN just float around ON the water, compromising control. The boats that are the right volume for me, many of them don't have enough leg room (and I even have small feet). I would twist and turn and squeeze until I'm finally convinced my legs simply won't fit IN the boat...

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know! The thing that makes me mad though, is... I'm quite tiny, size wise, but i weigh close to 180lbs. Talk about hard to find a boat that works. Growl.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yeah, kayaks! I didn't respond to this thread sooner because I was tired from ...kayaking!

I love my Fun. You're right...it's forgiving enough but I can still play around on it. I can almost do a stern squirt (I still mess up with controlling my edges a bit and sometimes tip). I've been trying to get the bow of my boat under the water and it's hard...there's a lot of volume there.

I don't like big river-running boats - at least not for the stuff we have around here - because I feel too isolated from the river...I like the feeling of sitting low IN the water, and having wave trains wash over me!

I plan on getting an Allstar in about a year, after my skills have improved enough so that I can truly appreciate it. Jackson boats seem to be made exactly for my weight range and the Happy Feet outfitting works well for me.

The owner of the local kayak school has sort of taken me under his wing, and I get to go out paddling with their classes for free now, as long as I help out with stuff. It's great!

As my skills increase, at some point I'm sure I'll be looking at going out to the PNW! :becky:

I admire all of you Divas who kayak. I kayaked for the *first* time this summer up in Vermont, on the Waterbury VT reservoir. It was so fun. I loved how connected I felt with the water (compared to a canoe) and quickly learned that the right technique helps with fatigue. One day I'd love to do more kayaking. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through you Divas!

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
Have any of you divas ocean kayaked? I live on the East Coast of Vancouver Island with plenty of ocean to get out and play in. I have a single kevlar ocean kayak that fits me perfectly. Ocean kayaks are sleek and long 18 or 19 feet. We get out as often as we can, but the most fun is planning a week or 10 day trip of padding around the gulf islands with a group of friends, camping in marine campsites and stopping in the occasional pub on route depending where we are. The beauty of an ocean kayak is that you can load it up with all sorts of good stuff and pretty much be self sufficient for days on end. Lots of fun and a great way to experience the coast!:thumbsup:

abc

Banned
Yep! I walk both side of the fence! I have a Valley Avocet. 16' long and can go for a week long trip with room to spare.

You're lucky to live in the sea kayaking heaven. I've done an overnight trip out of Telegraph Cove, though my favorate of VI is the Broken Group Islands on the west coast. Those were the days when I lived in San Francisco, also an area well known for fantastic ocean kayaking in its own right. It was much easier to travel to other places up and down the west coast. I've paddled from Maxico to Canada. Thoroughly enjoyed every trip!

I miss the big ocean swells. Here on the east coast, although we have the ocean, we just don't get those lovely large (but gental) swells often at all. We either get nasty storms or equally pesky wind waves for the most part. Only occasionally we get some nice, long wavelength rollers, to remind me of the "elevator rides" that got me hooked on ocean kayaking in the first place...

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have taken a couple of pool classes. It is very intimidating to me to be underwater upside down with a skirt on. I think it will take time and lots of practice but I am willing to do it. I did a river trip on the Main Fork of the Salmon and spent most of the time in the duckie which was great. I want to get good enough to go back in a real kayak!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna