• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which ski for summer ski camp?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
OK, I'm registered for an adult session at Whistler/Blackcomb (Momentum Ski Camp). It is a moguls camp; I need all the help with moguls I can get!

Trouble is, I don't know what skis to take! :noidea: My Line Celebrities or my new Auras? Both are about the same length. I've skied the Lines in varied conditions and know they do well in just about anything, but I've heard amazing things about the Auras (which is why I bought them). There's definitely some overlap in those skis (not a problem for me....next season, it's like, "which flavor ski will I use today?")

But for camp....I have no idea. It will be spring conditions, of course, with possibly firm stuff in the AM. We warm up on groomers then progress to bump runs.

Ideas? Suggestions? I don't go until July, so there's lots of time to figure this out!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Uh...both, of course!

OK, I'm registered for an adult session at Whistler/Blackcomb (Momentum Ski Camp). It is a moguls camp; I need all the help with moguls I can get!

Trouble is, I don't know what skis to take! :noidea: My Line Celebrities or my new Auras? Both are about the same length. I've skied the Lines in varied conditions and know they do well in just about anything, but I've heard amazing things about the Auras (which is why I bought them). There's definitely some overlap in those skis (not a problem for me....next season, it's like, "which flavor ski will I use today?")

But for camp....I have no idea. It will be spring conditions, of course, with possibly firm stuff in the AM. We warm up on groomers then progress to bump runs.

Ideas? Suggestions? I don't go until July, so there's lots of time to figure this out!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uh...both, of course!
:doh: Doh!

(If you can). If you can't....hmmmmm. Your best bet is to use the skis you already know unless you're going to get on the Auras before then. We know the Auras will handle everything you'll find out there, even moguls, but what if you HATE them? Then you're stuck.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would depend on the width of the celebrities. Personally I would not recommend the AURA's for a mogul camp because of the width. Mogul skis are skinnier skis than most of us ski on everyday in order to bring the feet closer together. They are also for the most part straight. Where I can ski my 96mm waist skis in the bumps, I can't totally get into proper bump form on them. What I find happens with the wider ski is one tip will want to sit up on top of the other when when I squeeze my adductors and feet together. You will simply not be able to get into the form they will be teaching you with a ski of that width. The turn radius will also be much tougher on the auras as well. Where this really comes into play is the difference between a natural bump course and one that has been "made" like you will be skiing. Some "made" bump courses will have mounds built up in the snow at precise points, and others are formed by skiers, but heres how. They take those little orange flags and place them about 1.5-2' apart in a straight line down the hill and then get a bunch of skiers to make turns around them. So that should give you an indication of how much tighter the radius will be than you would find in a natural bump field. I completely got blown out of a course like this a number of times this spring on my wider skis while trying to help prepare for a competition. I just couldn't get them to turn that short and quick, so if the lines are a narrower option than the Auras I would definately take those.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Thanks, that's very helpful. I can make pretty quick short turns on the Lines, I'll take those. They're fun on jumps, too.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other thing I thought of too, was stiffness, the auras may be too stiff for what you will be doing as well. I don't know enough about the lines to compare them though. Have fun, I wish I were going. I see they have a water ramp too, will you partake in that?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
okay, okay, I'll admit that makes sense...but give the Auras a hug and a kiss before you go.

I would take the Line Celebreties. Your Auras are pretty long and I found them to be a little burly in the bumps (I'm new to bump skiing) when I demod them in February in Montana. I had a great time on my Solomon Scarlets in the bumps at Big Sky however, and those skis are plenty wide (92), short (154), and flexible, and the twin tips were helpful in maneuvering around especially in the steeper bumps.

Gonna be hard not to try those Auras out though! :becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
The other thing I thought of too, was stiffness, the auras may be too stiff for what you will be doing as well. I don't know enough about the lines to compare them though. Have fun, I wish I were going. I see they have a water ramp too, will you partake in that?

Since I "know" my Lines pretty well, I'll take them. I love them, I can maneuver them easily. They are 90mm at the waist, which will be good in mushy stuff, but the tips and tails are narrower than the Auras which will help in the bumps.

I'm very tempted to do the water jumps! They provide the skis and a wetsuit for that, but I'd have to use my boots. They claim they'll dry out overnight. I don't know.....I want to do it...I mean where else would I get to do THAT? even though I'll look pathetic....it could be VERY fun.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I would take the Line Celebreties. Your Auras are pretty long and I found them to be a little burly in the bumps (I'm new to bump skiing) when I demod them in February in Montana. I had a great time on my Solomon Scarlets in the bumps at Big Sky however, and those skis are plenty wide (92), short (154), and flexible, and the twin tips were helpful in maneuvering around especially in the steeper bumps.

Gonna be hard not to try those Auras out though! :becky:

Incredibly, my Auras are about the same length as my Lines. I'm used to a longer ski. I've learned to make short turns with them and I feel more stable on them. (I used to ski 177's). But the Lines are a bit narrower, so I'll use those.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I think you'll do better with whichever ski can deal with moguls best.

I am also used to a longer ski - I just prefer the stability of more edge. There is a happy medium for us all. My 158's are the shortest skis I have ever owned, and I'm only 120#.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm very tempted to do the water jumps! They provide the skis and a wetsuit for that, but I'd have to use my boots. They claim they'll dry out overnight. I don't know.....I want to do it...I mean where else would I get to do THAT? even though I'll look pathetic....it could be VERY fun.

Wow, we may be going to Park City this summer with DD, but I don't know if I am this zealous to do the ramps myself. Good for you! I do think that your boots will dry out over night, similiar to a PFD. If it's sunny out etc., they should...Shouldn't they? You must post photos if you do.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Si
I'm very tempted to do the water jumps! They provide the skis and a wetsuit for that, but I'd have to use my boots. They claim they'll dry out overnight. I don't know.....I want to do it...I mean where else would I get to do THAT?
Lake Placid, NY - Kodak Sports Park. Public sessions are, I believe, on Tuesday evenings for ramp jumping into pool. Will ask my son for more info. Just FYI!!

Also, the reason that they provide the skis is that the artificial turf ramps require dulled edges and old-school straight skis. No edging allowed!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Lake Placid, NY - Kodak Sports Park. Public sessions are, I believe, on Tuesday evenings for ramp jumping into pool. Will ask my son for more info. Just FYI!!

Ha! Didn't know they had public sessions at Lake Placid. I'll be up there the second week of August!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Do you know which skis to take now?
Hey, I have an idea, how about taking your new Hart F17's!!!!:yahoo:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Gee, I wonder if it had anything to do with this:

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

Carrot.gif

As the carrot multiplies, so does my quiver!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I've done the water ramps at Lake Placid several times. You provide your own skis -- straight skis work best, not because of the edging issue on the plastic, but because you don't want to turn on the take-off and be thrown into the plywood side walls. It is a blast to swim with your skis on!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga