• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which are you....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Umm, ouch. :wink::laugh: Yes, that boy can ride! In fact, he's about the only snowboarder that I would think about riding with on a day when I "feel the need for speed." :thumbsup:
Last time he was measured, early last August at fitness center, his quads at the VMO (just above knee) were 24" :eek: For reference, get a tape measure and measure yours. The trainers were keeping track for ACL rehab purposes.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've gotten the straps on my poles permanently propped open so I can slide my mittens into them as I coast along at the top.

LiquidFeet (or anyone), how do you get those darn straps to stay open? I just started using poles again this year and wear mittens (switched back from skiboards). I'll still be fussing with my poles and all the snowboarders are already buckled in and ready to go!

I'm a stop and chat type, as is the DH. He is big sports fan and love to do Recaps on pretty much everything (skiing, mtb, board games, golf, etc), which is fun and gives me a chance to catch my breath when skiing. :laugh: We even have our regular spots to regroup on our home mountain. "Meet you at the next spot..." :ski2: swish swish swish

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a mix like most else. Stop for the slower skiers, and once in a while because I'm overtaken by the Dolly Daydreams - there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be today. Then if I get familiar with a trail, a screaming downhill, or the shouted challenge to the group - "top to bottom, no stopping" which is a long way on some of those European slopes, or Whistler. I'm sure I'll find the Colorado trails can be very long too.

On the question of the pole straps, my friend in Killington got some great things for a Christmas present, little rubber strips that had a fold over on each side that you inserted/lay the pole straps into. The strips were naturally bent into an arc and held the straps open, they were brilliant for quick entry but didn't interfere with the operation of the strap. We couldn't find them in any shop .... the nearest idea I have is to wrap the straps in Duck tape to make them stiffer so they hold themselves open. I never got around to it, but I have just found an old ski pole, so I might experiment this year..

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me, it depends on the day, the conditions, the weather, if I'm skiing with anyone else and their ability...:ski2:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Usually stop for a moment to see the sights, chat about the trail, which way are we going next, regroup, take pictures, and often to say "hey there's so and so" on the chair or nearby. Give and get skiing tips too. (I mostly get tips)

I should also say, sometimes just to see everyone's smiling face and to say, Isn't this the BEST!

5 months and counting :clap:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to stop and look at the scenery. Being outside and enjoying the views etc is one of the reasons I like skiing. I'm never in a hurry.

abc

Banned
Never thought about it until this thread...

I stop a lot. Don't know why.

Have nothing to do with burn or smelling the daisies. (there are usually none). When I think of it, there's enough stopping while waiting or riding the lifts. So why do I stop?

Usually to see and decide where to go next. That's about it.

So, if there's only one way down, I keep going. Otherwise, stop at most trail intersection.

And of course, if I'm skiing with others, I stop when they do.

C

CMCM

I actually made it down a few big runs this last season top to bottom without stopping, and that was MAJOR for me. I tend to stop here and there....influenced by other skiers (who I worry about...getting hit, etc.), or I may stop for the view, sometimes because I'm tired, stuff like that. Drives my husband crazy sometimes because he tends to want to go without stopping. The times I went down without stopping I'll say it was mainly because the runs were empty and I didn't have to worry about other skiers or boarders!

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me it depends - if it is a groomer, it is not stop top to bottom. If it is a bump run I usually stop but only because I need a break. Once I find my rhythm I like to keep going because it takes a few turns to get it back again (same with the pow). If I am in the trees, I need to stop just to find a new line. I usually enjoy the views on the chair ride back up the mountain. I can not wait until next season :snow::snow::snow:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Our hills here in MI are too small to stop on the way down. And the only view is at the top of the hill anyway. But when I went to Colorado I stopped - my thighs just weren't used to all that distance!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't really count. The hills I ski are only Max 400 ft vertical, so a breather on the way down is not really necessary or even possible.

However, I can imagine that I will be doing the "Taking in the awesome wonders, and catching my breath" thing when I get on a bigger hill.
Again, a thread where my OP has changed due to the broadening of my horizons.

I admit that I take the time to "take in the scenery" but when I ski. I Ski!
When skiing with friends, I'll stop at trail intersection to make sure we're all going the same direction, and to assure that everyone is still with us, but I really enjoy ripping down the the mountain to the lift without stopping, if possible.

numb3rs

Certified Ski Diva
I only stop if I'm skiing with someone slower than me. Even then, it's questionable! I ski hills that are about 500-700 ft. which I will never stop on because it's not worth it. Some are also quite boring if you lose momentum. I also ski on hills that it can take about 15 minutes to get down. I still almost never stop even though my legs are dying by the 3rd time I go down it. I can look at the scenery from the warmth of the gondola. My hands freeze less in there too.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Depends on the run, really.

True top-to-bottom without stopping is pretty hard to manage at a place the size of Vail or Breck or Copper or Snowmass, although it *can* be done. . .
:eyebrows:

Top to bottom on a single run on one of these hills? Sure, that's usually how we ski it if it's a groomer.

Mostly, though, I ski off-piste and prefer the variable snow conditions. So often deep or steep or chunky or whatever requires an occasional breather, just from all the hard work and high altitude. Not always (who wants to stop when you're floating down in thigh deep champagne powder?), but no question I will stop and (gasp) enjoy the (gasp) view on (gasp) days when the snow is deep and heavy.
:D

Plus, the views out here are pretty incredible and the resorts pretty big, so it's good to take in the scenery while also making sure that all members of the party are present and accounted for.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
.... Then if I get familiar with a trail, a screaming downhill, or the shouted challenge to the group - "top to bottom, no stopping" which is a long way on some of those European slopes, or Whistler. I'm sure I'll find the Colorado trails can be very long too....

But not like Europe or Whistler, that's for sure! There are a few, but some of the ones we did on those places, holy cow. It's just different.

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to stop and take in the scenary. I need to do that once and awhile to just kind of take stock and appreciate the fact that I'm able to be on a ski slope. When I do that, I can't help but feel extremely lucky no matter what else is going on in my life. But, then again, it's also a lot of fun to haul ass down the mountain when I've got a great line and the snow is awesome or I've got a great rythmn going down the bumps - I just don't want to stop!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna