• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which are you....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
a straight-down-the-hill-without-stopping skier? Or do you like to stop on the way down?

I'm the latter. I like to stop (even if it's only once), take in the view, make some comments, and then go on down.

Makes the run last longer.

What about you?

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely love to stop, breathe, and take in the view. :D That's part of the fun of skiing for me - being outside in the mountains, up high where I can enjoy the beautiful scenery.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't really count. The hills I ski are only Max 400 ft vertical, so a breather on the way down is not really necessary or even possible.

However, I can imagine that I will be doing the "Taking in the awesome wonders, and catching my breath" thing when I get on a bigger hill.

Jilly

Staff member
Well it depends on where I skiing. If its my home hill in Ontario. 300 screaming feet of vertical doesn't usually lend itself to a stop on the way down. Now at Tremblant, my other home hill, I usually have to stop at least twice on the way down to wait for the rest of the party. If Hubby and I are skiing together, we'll stop once to catch our breath. Like Michigan, Ontario hills are just too small to worry about stopping. Its all about the number of runs/day. Total vertical on your wrist computer. But Tremblant has some wonderful vista's on the right day.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Straight-down-the-hill-without-stopping.

The only vista point is at the summit.

I carry Advil.

teachski

Certified Ski Diva
It really depends on where I am and who I am skiing with. With certain folks there is no stopping part way down, with others it is manditory. When I am alone on a trail at a bigger area I will stop and take in the views, maybe a picture or two.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Iski, I like your style. I carry ibuprophen along with the calcium (osteoporosis!) in my pocket.

I like to do non-stop runs, one after the other, not even stopping at the top of the lift. I've gotten the straps on my poles permanently propped open so I can slide my mittens into them as I coast along at the top. When I ski alone sometimes I try to ski non-stop as long as I can, and count the runs to see how many I can cram in before I have to make a pitstop. However, on steep or long bumpy slopes when my quads are burning I sometimes have to stop, but not always.

I take a nice long look at the scenery while going up the chairlift, and that's enough looking for me. After all, I ski the same old trails on the same old hills all the time.

I can't do this when I ski with others. I stop along with them. However, when the sky is doing something unusual, I do admit taking a look is worth it. Or when the snow is especially different on the hill, it's nice to stop and look backwards to see it from a different perspective.

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Away from my usual (Elk Mtn.), I like to stop and look around. I also like to plan the trails while on the lift and often have to orient myself on the way down. I must admit, the first few times skiing each season, the reason I stop is because my quads are burning!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whether I stop or not often depends on who I am skiing with. The men in my family ski very fast. so by the time I reach them, they are ready to go again. so if I ski straight down the hill, I can keep up.

Now if I am skiing with the ladies, the approach is different. we ski for the sport and the company and just to be outdoors. Then I am more likely to stop.

Marigee

Angel Diva
If I know the terrain well I usually don't stop. Ditto for when I am on a run alone. When I ski with my younger boys I stop occassionally so we can regroup. Like Lynn, at the beginning of the season I have to stop sometimes on a long run because my muscles just can't take it!:smile:

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can hardly make it down a run without needing to stop and take a photo or two. Plus, I almost always need to stop to wait for my husband, though he is picking up speed here lately.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to ski top to bottom.Typically though I will stop at an intersection to make sure everyone is still upright and knows which way we are going!

Terry

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:
I like to ski top to bottom.Typically though I will stop at an intersection to make sure everyone is still upright and knows which way we are going!

Terry
T,
Do you have any idea how much fun we are going to have when we ski together?
Watch out world!:D

Snowbird

Certified Ski Diva
If I'm skiing with someone, I'll generally stop to chat and take in the scene. If I'm by myself, straight down.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to take my time. Hell, the rest of my life has enough time pressure, when I'm up a mountain I like to stop and smell the daisies (well I would if there were any out at that time of year ;) )

SnowHot, you wanna try and make it over to Europe sometime. In Courchevel, for example you can do 1400 m vertical non-stop if you want. Yes folks, that's the best part of a mile altitude downhill without having to do a single lift :smile: I think there are several other places with even more. It's no wonder we don't count vertical LOL

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

Thought I'd resuscitate this oldie.

Anyone else care to comment?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Typically, I'm a fly down the mountain at mach 10 then catch my breath at the bottom type of person if I'm skiing alone. If I'm skiing with people then I'll stop and take it in and chat along the way.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Typically, I'm a fly down the mountain at mach 10 then catch my breath at the bottom type of person if I'm skiing alone. If I'm skiing with people then I'll stop and take it in and chat along the way.
^^^ What she says :smile:
With friends, it's more of a social thing. When I'm solo, I'm "working out" and going for the burn. Or with DH. We like to have endurance contests. Sometimes I win! Forget DS. Nobody outpaces him, right Robyn? :smile: Okay, well, Seth Wescott started beating him in 02, when he was training for Boardercross and running trials with DS.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nobody outpaces him, right Robyn? :smile: Okay, well, Seth Wescott started beating him in 02, when he was training for Boardercross and running trials with DS.

Umm, ouch. :wink::laugh: Yes, that boy can ride! In fact, he's about the only snowboarder that I would think about riding with on a day when I "feel the need for speed." :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna