• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where my Morton's neuroma peeps at

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
Hello! I have hereditary Morton's neuroma that I've had most of my life, on and off. Doctors have been fairly dismissive in the past and just told me to rub Voltaren on it or wear wider shoes or insoles, etc. I don't always feel like they understand my acceptable quality of life is climbing mountains and ski touring all day, not shuffling around to the grocery store in ultra wide geriatric shoes. Recently had a big flare up on the scrambly approach to a multi pitch climb (my partner nearly had to carry me back down) and every time I have a flare up I have slightly more numbness so I have to take care of this now. Had cortisone injections but this seems to be a very temporary fix and isn't cheap, plus can degrade tissue over time.

I want to go the surgery route, so looking for experiences of those who've gone through it. My mom got a neurectomy in the late 70's and hasn't had an issue since. Which kind of surgery did you get, from top or bottom? Hows life post op?

Thanks! :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
Hey! My Morton’s was just diagnosed, and I got a cortisone shot. I had been hoping for orthotics (I’m new to all this and that’s what I expected). However, those were going to cost me $500. I ordered a high-quality footbed online and can put in a metatarsal pad.

But anyhow, thanks for joining in the conversation! Happy to have you. I’m sure others will have some experiences that are actually relevant! :wink:

:welcome:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello! I have hereditary Morton's neuroma that I've had most of my life, on and off. Doctors have been fairly dismissive in the past and just told me to rub Voltaren on it or wear wider shoes or insoles, etc. I don't always feel like they understand my acceptable quality of life is climbing mountains and ski touring all day, not shuffling around to the grocery store in ultra wide geriatric shoes. Recently had a big flare up on the scrambly approach to a multi pitch climb (my partner nearly had to carry me back down) and every time I have a flare up I have slightly more numbness so I have to take care of this now. Had cortisone injections but this seems to be a very temporary fix and isn't cheap, plus can degrade tissue over time.

I want to go the surgery route, so looking for experiences of those who've gone through it. My mom got a neurectomy in the late 70's and hasn't had an issue since. Which kind of surgery did you get, from top or bottom? Hows life post op?

Thanks! :smile:
I can’t address the surgery part. I’m still dealing with metatarsal pads and making sure the boots fit. My foot doctor said ski boots and bike shoes are some of the most aggravating types of footwear for the neuroma as they compress from the side. A friend had the neuroma removed, now that I think of it. I will ask whether hers was top or bottom. I understand there are concerns with either one with bones or nerves or both depending.Anyway, welcome here no matter what!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got a response from my friend. She first went through a course of alcohol injections, rather than cortisone. And the rest of her response: "The incision was from the top of the foot. I was on crutches (no weight bearing) for 2 weeks, then walking boot for another 2 weeks (?)." I will point out she did this in the spring (to avoid cutting into boat season too much) which let her progress into soft shoes for the summer. I'd worry about how long it would take to be comfortable from surgery to ski boots.

Hope you find relief, no matter what! Neuromas hurt!

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
Hey thanks! I've found my ski boots surprisingly good actually, and usually only get the start of burning after a 10k+ day. I have tecnica zero G scouts and I sized up for toe wiggle. However, my foot was dormant last winter for some reason. I find approach shoes/scrambling the absolute worst, with climbing shoes a close second. I even got the widest approach shoes I could find in a half size up and it still caused me pain.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What approach shoes are you using? I've found that a lot of climbing/approach shoe brands tend to run more on the narrow side of things. I don't do majorly long approaches, so have just been using Altra trail runners with a wide toebox but they probably dont offer enough support for what you're doing not to mention not having a sticky rubber sole. I haven't been officially diagnosed with MN but I have self diagnosed myself with it (as in its what is happening but at this point its not debilitating and I haven't had to see a dr about it). I'm struggling with the ski boot side of things though, I don't think I've had a boot that hasn't caused me pain in years.

newboots

Angel Diva
I hear you. I didn't know it was a "thing;" I just knew my toes hurt weirdly after skiing. Maybe don't wait until it's debilitating (not fun!), but experiment with a footbed with a metatarsal pad, which is supposed to relieve the pressure on those nerves.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
What approach shoes are you using? I've found that a lot of climbing/approach shoe brands tend to run more on the narrow side of things. I don't do majorly long approaches, so have just been using Altra trail runners with a wide toebox but they probably dont offer enough support for what you're doing not to mention not having a sticky rubber sole. I haven't been officially diagnosed with MN but I have self diagnosed myself with it (as in its what is happening but at this point its not debilitating and I haven't had to see a dr about it). I'm struggling with the ski boot side of things though, I don't think I've had a boot that hasn't caused me pain in years.
I have La sportiva TX2 which I love, but I also got the TX4 for longer approaches and long hikes/scrambles and I don't know if it was the stiffness or what, but they triggered a flare up. Wide toe box, and I went for a hiking fit instead of a climbing fit. Sometimes its a mystery to me.

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Me too. Somehow I just block it out after the initial pain of the boots. First runs are always awful. I've only had cortisone shots. I think my neuromas (2) are so big now that they don't push through the metatarsals anymore...

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I had the surgery on my right foot. They went in from the top. I'm so glad I did it because i don't have any pain anymore. All the other stuff wrong with my foot is still there, though - arthritis, no dorsiflexion, etc.
They told me that my toes would lose feeling, which they did at first. I don't know if I'm used to it or not, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I have a little loss of feeling, but not much.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
I had the surgery on my right foot. They went in from the top. I'm so glad I did it because i don't have any pain anymore. All the other stuff wrong with my foot is still there, though - arthritis, no dorsiflexion, etc.
They told me that my toes would lose feeling, which they did at first. I don't know if I'm used to it or not, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I have a little loss of feeling, but not much.
Good to know! I already have lost feeling in half my fourth toe, and every time it flares up the inflammation causes numbness for a few days in other toes.

How long was your recovery? I'm trying to find a sweet spot between climbing and skiing seasons...

teleskichica

Certified Ski Diva
Ohhhh. I have had the surgery and, wow, was it a doozy for me! I don't regret it now but it took me a year to get back to any activity other than walking. I don't regret it because that blinding zappy pain that happens when the inflamed nerve rubs or catches on a tendon is gone but if I or anyone else or a pebble or piece of food on the kitchen floor touches the center of the bottom of my foot, I have an uncontrollable reflex to the sensation. It was similar to having a toothache in the middle of my foot for nearly a year post surgery and now is akin to the sensitivity of an exposed nerve or worn enamel in one's teeth.

I first tried the shots but after the numbness wore off, cortisone and alcohol shots only increased the pain because of the pressure in my foot. Metatarsal pads only seemed to aggravate things. My surgery was from the top and the doctor was very surprised at how large the neuroma was and said he'd never seen one that big. In retrospect, he thought an MRI might have been helpful to have a better look at what was going on.

I am back to skiing and finally running but unfortunately not climbing.

I now only wear shoes that fit really, really well no matter how expensive or ugly they might be. No compromise there. And post surgery learned that calf stretching is crucial to alleviating symptoms. I wish I had known that pre-surgery but it still helps post surgery. Additionally, ice water soaks 10 minutes a day helps with neuroma and arthritis. I have several ice packs in he freezer that I pop into a foot bath and once it is ice cold, find a suitably distracting seated activity and pop my feet in there.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have been in denial about my neuroma for going on 5 years now. Impressive, no?
I’m actually fine in ski boots, as long as I leave the bottom buckles quite loose.

Shoes I am super limited in what works, but it’s a WEIRD assortment. Booties with heels? Some are fine.
Rothy’s flats? Sure… (weird). Coach loafers, OOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOO. I live in Birkenstocks if I can, and otherwise in Merrells… when I have to wear dress shoes, I have a small selection that work.

Acupuncture and a foot roller have both helped quite a bit.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
To update, I got the surgery in June, as well as bone surgery to straighten a rigid hammer toe (3rd) and a flexible curly toe (4th) as the surgeon told me the shape of them will probably cause issues later even if he removed the neuroma. So I was totally off my foot for a month, then hobbling for another month. I could eventually bike, but not really walk or run until month 5. The rigid hammer toe healed well, as now its just rigid straight instead of hooked under. The 4th toe however, is about 60% numb, and since the middle joint was removed, I still have some pain when pressing my toes down, as it wants to flex there. I get pain from pressure on it, which is probably scar tissue related and is improving.

Yesterday I toured 1000m up to the top of the resort and had very little pain, and no neuroma pain. It was a brutal and hairy descent, and my weak body barely handled it, but I had no neuroma pain. I guess I can take 60% numbness and slight mobility loss for this.

Weirdly I realized none of my toes on my right foot had as much mobility when scrunching as my left, even before surgery. I wonder if this is from a longterm atrophied transverse arch. I also got some amazing custom orthotics from an old mountaineer, much better than the ones the surgeon made me. Acupuncture helps me too, in my whole lower leg to release tight muscles to my toes. All my non performance shoes now are barefoot shoes, Lems or similar. Partly because I realized any raised heel shoes impact my hip flexors when touring, so I go zero drop always now.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd never heard of this, so read up on it with interest as the symptoms fitted pains my husband has been moaning about for a while - but never actually done anything about. Anyway, he trotted off for an ultrasound and yep, a 6 x 9mm neuroma.

He starts a course of alcohol injections next week, so thanks ladies for sharing! I'll report back on what the injections do for him in due course.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sort of in denial, but it's a new thing for me in the last few months. I'm going to see how a foot exercise program progresses, and if it doesn't help, I'll see a podiatrist. But I'm loathe to get cortisone shots or surgery.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some people find that a metatarsal pad can be very helpful.
Yes. It's the easiest solution and usually the first line of response. I make my own with duct tape layered on the bottom of the footbed. Works for my neuromas, which are gone. I won't ski without neuroma shims of some sort under my footbeds. This counts for running shoes as well as ski boots.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just joined the Morton's club, we should get a t-shirt. And cocktails.

My symptoms have been numbness between 3rd and 4th toes, and pins and needles when foot striking, but no pain, and not the pebble-under-the-foot thing, so my Dr was all "nah" about it.

Entirely thanks to this site it's been positively identified - I would never have sought a medical opinion about my symptoms had I not been here. Because it's not too bad they're tying to hit it with bulk anti-inflammatories before going down the injection route if it doesn't improve (according to Dr, "it's horrible") so I'll go alternatives for now.

And I really regret googling the surgical intervention.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna