• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When Your Kids Get Hurt Skiing/Riding....

I had a great day at my local mountain with my girls yesterday despite the hardpack conditions on some trails. Both kids had a lesson and they went well. At the end of my 14 yr. old's time on the hill, however, she caught an edge with her board and fell hard, helmet hit the snow. She called it a day and was in great spirits all afternoon except for some neck soreness in the evening. Today she woke up in significant neck pain. She's at her Dad's now and I've returned to work, and he's taking her to her pediatrician at 5 pm. Hopefully she's ok. It's the first time that either of my kids have gotten hurt skiing or riding since they started 2 seasons ago, and I realize that many of you parents have been through much worse, but it's still a bummer!

How parents let kids ski and ride without helmets is beyond me.....

AnnKH

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mt sympathies to you and your daughter!

We've only had one ski/snowboard-related accident (my son sprained his wrist boarding last year). But with 13-yr-old twin boys, we have made many trips to the ER for stitches and x-rays.

My attitude is this: I thank God that I have healthy, active kids that can run around (or swim or ski or board or jump) and get hurt.

My son does not board without a helmet and wrist guards (he forgot to put the guards on the day he sprained his wrist). Most folks, on hearing that we're going to the slopes, say "don't break a leg!". My sons' cello teacher says "Don't break a finger!"

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh no, snwl, so sorry to hear this! Poor kid, ouch. Hopefully, you'll get the news that it's just a muscle strain and she'll be okay!! Let us know.

Just spoke to her by phone. As I suspected, the helmet did its job but she has whiplash. I'm glad it's school vacation week, but I suspect my ex-husband isn't too pleased as he had a trip to NYC planned this weekend and the car ride might be too much for her. C'est la vie! I'm just glad it's nothing more serious.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
How is she feeling today, snwl? Oh, the heel-side head bonk....poor kid. The good thing is that she's 14, and at that age, kids tend to recover with what I'd consider light speed (comparatively). Hope that's the case w/her.

How is she feeling today, snwl? Oh, the heel-side head bonk....poor kid. The good thing is that she's 14, and at that age, kids tend to recover with what I'd consider light speed (comparatively). Hope that's the case w/her.

Thanks. I have no idea how she is this morning as she's at her Dad's house now. I'll give her a call later (she's probably still asleep). I suspect she won't feel much better for a day or 2....

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope she is better soon. As long as she was checked out by the Ped. I'm sure she'll be OK. The obvious question- is she taking any pain med? And is she taking it regularly? Good questions for her or Dad. I know a lot of snowboarders who have taken falls on very easy runs and *WHAM* they have whiplash. Keep us posted!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Glad she's okay! Whiplash is no fun, but good it wasn't anything more serious.

So glad she was wearing a helmet!

She tells me she's taking Alleive (sp?) and a muscle relaxer. I just called her and she's feeling better. She said the muscle relaxer put her to sleep last night and so she hasn't take it yet today. My ex said the doc said it was "like" whiplash and so I think she's on the quick mend. Most importantly, it hasn't deterred her from her love of snowboarding. :p

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad to hear she'll be fine.

When I think back to my childhood, I just shake my head and think, "My poor mother!" I was in the hospital at least once a year. I had a pretty good collection of crutches going too! :D

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
When I think back to my childhood, I just shake my head and think, "My poor mother!" I was in the hospital at least once a year. I had a pretty good collection of crutches going too! :D
Oh, so you were one of those kids! Gee, I've got one like that now. The only thing is, he's no kid anymore, and after 2+ decades of my receiving calls from the ER, I'm getting SOOOO tired (but never un-scared).....and I'm waiting to use that wonderful catch phrase on him that I often heard in my own childhood: "JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE KIDS SOMEDAY!"

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just tell the kids to check the speed and Please avoid big air. The little bumps and bangs are part of the game with snow sports. Big air tricks are deadly.

I am most concerned with the culture of 'big air' tricks, glorified by the media. When I see kids hurt, it just shakes me up. Kids don't think it can happen to them and group mentality compels some of these kids to jump first---without the skill or training essential to perform such acrobatic jumps and tricks.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This happened to my 13 year old this season too, falling off a rail. Our snowboard team had so many broken bones this year I was so grateful it wasn't anything worse!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
*sigh* I just posted about this on another message board (how I got linked to here). My daughter (7) just got hurt this past weekend in Colorado while doing a pretty gnarly blue bump run (the bumps were about as tall as she is). She strained her knee pretty badly. Thankfully I was able to get her back out in the afternoon (not knowing if she was really hurt or not) and she skied a coupel more runs. The next day she was gimping pretty bad so we had to cut our trip short.

We were back home yesterday and to the doc who said x-rays looked good and just a strain. Thankfully she was ogling the ski magazines in the waiting room so I'm hopeful there will be no fear next year (though we'll see when it comes to bumps again).

I'm glad that your daughter is okay and thankful that she had her helmet on. HOpefully she'll jump right back on the bandwagon next year!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna