• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What you need to know about skiing at a Vail Resorts this season

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We went to Vail yesterday; Keystone last Monday and Breck a couple of weeks ago. So I've been up three times, once at each resort. Keystone was probably the best (I can't believe I'm saying that). Breck was super early season and they only had 2 or 3? runs open. I will say they managed the lift lines pretty well, and since it was early I wasn't expecting much in terms of snow. I got what I expected - looping man-made groomers all day. It was a perfectly reasonable first day of the season, they'd groomed pretty well, it was all fine. I thought their COVID protocols were decent in terms of managing the lift lines. The only part I didn't like is that the main gondola at Breck gets a lot of two-way traffic so you are much more likely there to get on a gondola immediately after another party has vacated it, and I felt really uncomfortable with that. I'm okay riding a gondola that's been empty for 10 minutes. The requirement is to keep your masks on in the gondola but we saw a lot of people taking them off as soon as it left the station - in other gondolas. They are all pretty good about only putting members of the same party into gondolas - DH and I haven't had to share one.

We went to Keystone a few days after they'd gotten some snow, and so it was all groomed but a reasonable amount of terrain open, considering the early season. It feels like the safest place for COVID so far - partly because we are super cheap and refuse to pay for close parking and end up riding shuttle buses. At Keystone we can park for free and walk to the base, and you can opt for a chair right away instead of taking a gondola up the mountain. We never had to wait too long in a lift line. Granted, we were there on a weekday.

Yesterday, we went to Vail, and had the longest lines we've experienced so far, with not great enforcement of mask protocols - they're trying but there's only so much they can do to enforce it. But the lift lines were super long and I felt really unsafe standing in a lift line with hundreds of other people for 20+ minutes and not great mask or social distancing compliance. They have very little terrain open and they're really hurting for snow. So it was a combo of a lousy snow year at least to start, and IMO too many people on the mountain for the amount of terrain open.

I can't help but wonder if some of the differences are based in county government protocols. I felt like the signage and overall seriousness about COVID were better at both Breckenridge and Keystone, which are both in Summit County, vs. Vail in Eagle County. The attitude at Vail overall felt more laissez faire to me than at the other two places, both on the mountain and in the villages. It's hard to know though, and that's based on all of one visit at each resort.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can't help but wonder if some of the differences are based in county government protocols. I felt like the signage and overall seriousness about COVID were better at both Breckenridge and Keystone, which are both in Summit County, vs. Vail in Eagle County. The attitude at Vail overall felt more laissez faire to me than at the other two places, both on the mountain and in the villages. It's hard to know though, and that's based on all of one visit at each resort.
Thanks for the details. I think you are correct that how a CO county is approaching COVID-19 makes a difference. Summit County knows that if they go from Red to Purple that means a shut-down. Eagle County is still Orange and some people may think there is less risk of things getting worse, meaning going to Red or Purple. Pitkin County had to deal with outbreaks back in March, with international guests being quarantined in Aspen.

There was clearly community transmission at Vail Mountain back in February and probably early March too. But the news reports I read were about people who tested positive after returning to their home country (Australia, Mexico, etc.) I doubt most Coloradan skiers were that aware of what was happening in the weeks before the shut-down in mid-March by the CO Gov. The early deaths were not people from a mountain community, but seniors in El Paso County around Colorado Springs. Fair to say it's quite possible the transmission chain started unknowingly by someone who was a skier, but there is no way to know.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From what I can tell, the first week or two at any ski resort is when there is a steep learning curve. When there are low snow conditions too, that makes it even harder. Destination resorts have pushed back opening dates but waiting until 20-30% of lifts and terrain is open doesn't seem to be happening. From what I've looked at on OpenSnow, the large mountains are opening as soon as they as sure that 200-300 acres will be open. In some cases, that's only 10% of total skiable terrain.

Pent up demand during early season is clearly a factor even with the VR reservation system. An educated guess for how many reservations to make available is based on recent winters. In 2020, the situation is very different for all sorts of reasons and varies by region. As I remember, it took 2-3 weeks for things to settle down at Perisher in Australia in late June and early July.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, the first detected case in CO was a skier who visited several of the Vail resorts and ended up getting quarantined here before he was allowed to return home (I think he was from CA?). That was reported either March 5 or 6. The first case in El Paso was reported within a day of the Vail visitor - she was also our first death. And the Australian skiers at Aspen were mixed - some returned home before they were confirmed, some were still here presumably quarantining but there was a big news story and to-do when they were caught breaking quarantine to ski. They were reported a few days after the Vail guy and the woman from El Paso.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's pretty clear at this point that there were multiple transmission points into the state, probably happening simultaneously.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, the first detected case in CO was a skier who visited several of the Vail resorts and ended up getting quarantined here before he was allowed to return home (I think he was from CA?). That was reported either March 5 or 6. The first case in El Paso was reported within a day of the Vail visitor - she was also our first death. And the Australian skiers at Aspen were mixed - some returned home before they were confirmed, some were still here presumably quarantining but there was a big news story and to-do when they were caught breaking quarantine to ski. They were reported a few days after the Vail guy and the woman from El Paso.
I wasn't thinking about the Aspen group, but the Australian who vacationed at Vail in February. Long story short, he tested positive after getting home. According to Australian rules at the time for testing, he didn't need to be tested because he had no symptoms by the time he arrived home. He happened to be a family physician. Since he had access, he tested himself after going back to work fully expecting to test negative. His symptoms had been like cold symptoms. A Health Minister made his story public and it made headlines for a few weeks in Australia.

There is a Diva who eventually found that she had COVID-19 early on skied at Vail in February. For her it took an antibody test to confirm the diagnosis.

The other group that made international headlines were several hundred people who do an annual ski vacation coming from Mexico City. Also a few people who returned to Iceland tested positive by early March.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that there were multiple transmission points into the state, probably happening simultaneously.
Yep. Recently there have been reports that people with COVID-19 were in the U.S. and Europe well before February. Meaning people who didn't know they were infected. Much harder to know when community spread started in a given location.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We went to Vail yesterday;
Which base did you go to? I've never been to Vail. But I read somewhere that three bases were open in order to try and spread people out. All the lifts were serving the same terrain but usually only one base would be open initially.

This recent article is supposed to be about a survey of people in terms of whether or not they plan to ski the 2020-21 season. But ends up as a marketing piece for Opening Day at Vail.

Dec. 4, Vail Daily
Colorado skiers, snowboarders considering skipping the slopes this winter, survey says
Safety first
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/colo...-skipping-the-slopes-this-winter-survey-says/

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vail Village - we took Gondola one up to mid-mountain and skied mostly off the Mountaintop and Wildwood Express lifts.

There was only one run open into Game Creek Bowl and we were going to check it out but you can see the lift from the top of the bowl and when we saw the lines there we were all, oh hell no. There's no other way out. I don't know what family and beginner skiers do, but most people to my knowledge rely on the same lifts we were because that's where all the open terrain is - and that's the fastest way to the back bowls when they're open. On a normal Vail day we do Gondola One to Mountaintop to the back bowls.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Day tickets sales have begun for Epic resorts.

I took a look at Keystone and there are only a few Dec weekends that are not available as of the morning of Dec. 8. Price seems to be $154 for all days but I only check a few, both midweek and weekends.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.39.51 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
As of late on Dec. 7, there were Epic reservations available for all the holiday periods for a subset of locations across regions. I asked @TNtoTaos to check Northstar, Park City, Keystone, Afton Alps, Hunter, Stowe, and Whitetail. We'll see what things look like in a week or so. Could be that Christmas and New Year's weeks will be really empty regardless of region.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
As of late on Dec. 7, there were Epic reservations available for all the holiday periods for a subset of locations across regions. I asked @TNtoTaos to check Northstar, Park City, Keystone, Afton Alps, Hunter, Stowe, and Whitetail. We'll see what things look like in a week or so. Could be that Christmas and New Year's weeks will be really empty regardless of region.
Just booked separate reservation at Northstar for Sunday dec 13. Saturday sold out but wasn’t planning on skiing that day as driving up. Mon and Tues booked with priority reservations.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have priority reservations for Liberty and Whitetail at various weekend days and holidays during Christmas week, which I now fully expect to have to cancel because of PA’s travel restrictions.:mad2:

newboots

Angel Diva
I have priority reservations for Liberty and Whitetail at various weekend days and holidays during Christmas week, which I now fully expect to have to cancel because of PA’s travel restrictions.:mad2:

It is hard to get a test for traveling where you live? I just moved here; I don't know how hard it will be in NY.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Needed to make a change as found out we are leaving Sunday, not Saturday. Went on Epic reservations to cancel Dec 13 Sunday (nothing available) and canceled that. Needed to wait a day (today within 7 days) and booked Wednesday Dec 15. So now I'm getting the hang of reservations (both priority and week of).... The plan is to drive up Sunday and ski Mon, Tue, Wed and drive home Thursday AND snow is expected next week !:jumphappy:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if Epic punishes you for cancellations beyond a certain number?

The wording is sort of vague. But encourages one not to have a lot of cancellations. There is a window in which you can cancel with no penalty. I can’t recall whether it is 24 hours, because that’s what it is at my Pilates studio, or 12 hours. Otherwise: “Our goal is to accommodate everyone who wants to ski and ride at our mountains this season. To make that happen, you should ONLY book week-of reservations for days that you plan to use. If you abuse the system by repeatedly missing or cancelling week-of reservations (or Priority Reservation Days that you booked within 2 weeks of the reservation date), you may lose your reservation privileges for a period of time.”

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went to Okemo today for my first runs of the season. It was surprisingly crowded for mid-week, but it probably just felt that way because of the limited terrain. The snow was great, everyone seemed to be wearing masks and distancing in lines. The merging of lines at the lift was more orderly than normal, with everyone giving groups and individuals space so that it was very clear how each chair would be arranged. A man asked if I minded riding with him on the six-person chair and I said of course, but it was nice that people were asking and not being pushy and just filling chairs.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Email from VR this morning. Nothing particularly new; no new policies AFAICT.

Within the next few weeks, we will have successfully opened all 34 of our North American resorts from Whistler Blackcomb to Vail to Stowe. So many of our employees across Vail Resorts have spent countless hours helping to prepare for a re-imagined mountain experience this winter, with safety as our collective priority. We developed a new enterprise-wide reservation system to ensure you have the space needed to spread out and stay safe; we implemented extensive safety protocols, including strict face covering and physical distancing requirements; and we debuted free Epic Coverage pass protection to provide a peace of mind during times of great uncertainty.

But for all we got right, I would be remiss to ignore where we clearly fell short.

Weighing heavily on my mind is the frustration I have heard from too many pass holders and guests regarding their customer service experience with our call centers. If you are included amongst those who have been unable to reach a customer service agent for help, or encountered long call center or chat wait times, I want you to know we have heard you loud and clear. And we agree. It is unacceptable, and I personally apologize to you for your experience.

Due to the pandemic, we introduced a lot of changes this season – including pass credits, a reservation system and Epic Coverage – and our call center experienced a more than fourfold increase in the number of guests needing assistance. Despite doubling our staffing and introducing new online chat functionality and other features, our infrastructure was ultimately not designed to handle the volume. It is a huge miss on our part, especially for a company that tries to be an out-front leader within our industry. This is certainly not the fault of our call center agents, who have tried their best to provide great service under difficult circumstances. It is my fault for not ensuring we were better prepared.

Here’s what I want you to know moving forward.

We are on it. From implementing new backend systems to leveraging demand forecasting, we are committed to upgrading our customer service operation so it meets the standard of our mission to deliver an Experience of a Lifetime to our guests. I wish I could say it will all improve overnight, but candidly, this is going to take some time to get up and running.

While we work on this transformation, I want to be transparent that our call center and chat wait times may continue to be longer than normal for the immediate future. Please bear with us, and know that our hard-working team of representatives will get to you as soon as they are able. We have also created several FAQ sites with quick answers to many questions related to reservations, Epic Coverage and resort safety. Make sure you check out the below.

Reservations FAQs

Epic Coverage FAQs

Safety FAQs (resort-specific safety information is available on each resort website)

There is no doubt that 2020 has been a uniquely challenging year, but the joy of skiing and riding in fresh mountain air and wide-open spaces remains unchanged. I speak on behalf of the entire Vail Resorts team when I say we are grateful for your continued patience, loyalty and support.

Wishing you all a safe holiday season and a happy New Year.

Rob Katz

CEO of Vail Resorts

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna