• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What you need to know about skiing at a Vail Resorts this season

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think there were posts about what happens if a reservation isn't cancelled or used but can't find them. Here's what was posted on regional forum recently. So there are consequences to booking multiple days in the same week and then not going or showing a pattern of cancellations.

Dear Valued Pass Holder,
Over the last three weeks, you have missed or canceled two or more of your pass reservations each week.
Unfortunately, since you have missed or canceled multiple week-of reservations (or multiple Priority Reservation Days booked within two weeks of the reservation date), for the next three weeks you are only able to make week-of reservations one day prior to your ski or ride day. Rest assured that you are still able to make reservations – based on availability and your pass type – but your ability to make advance week-of reservations has been restricted.
Our goal is to accommodate everyone who wants to ski and ride at our mountains this season. To ensure all skiers and riders have the opportunity to experience our mountains, we ask that you please only make reservations for days that you are able to ski or ride in the future.
We appreciate your understanding – this season we’re all in this together!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wonder if it’s folks planning on skiing Tahoe Epic resorts that had to cancel because their hotel/motel reservations were canceled.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not the situation I posted in Post #121. That comes from the northeast.
Ah..... okay. Still wonder how they treated customers who were forced to cancel due to the "Tahoe" shutdown for visitors.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So we skied at Keystone today. I am honestly pretty horrified by the mask situation in the lift lines. The last time we went up, it wasn't very crowded and there weren't many lines to speak of so it wasn't an issue. If you count compliance as something that covers noses, I would say maybe 50% of people were in compliance. There was no enforcement in lines.

newboots

Angel Diva
So far, I’ve heard or discovered a big fail on masks at 3 Vail resorts now: Okemo, Keystone, and Hunter. I did read good things about Hunter before our big storm, but when I was there I didn’t see ANYONE urged to wear or pull up a mask. I think I read about another resort, too, but can’t recall which one.

I’m going to write to Hunter. The governor will shut down skiing if it’s spreading the virus, period.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In contrast to what folks are reporting seeing in terms of mask compliance at Vail resorts, we were at Copper today and again saw the two-person (or more, depending on the size of the lift) teams: 1-2 employees at the entrance to the lines assertively reminding people to cover noses, and then 1-2 employees at the top of the lines managing seating on the lifts. Compliance was VERY good. I think I saw two people reminded to cover their noses on the way into the lifts; everyone else was already behaving themselves. Compliance was a bit more lax in the base area, but it's easier to avoid people there.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a relief. I was beginning to think the opposite was Vail policy!

Well, Copper is owned by Powdr and is on Ikon, so not a Vail resort. I suppose my point was that it is very possible to have good compliance, including at a large resort that attracts international travelers, if the message from the top is clear and teams are deployed accordingly.

ETA: If this isn't happening consistently at Vail resorts, it's a corporate problem.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, Copper is owned by Powdr and is on Ikon, so not a Vail resort. I suppose my point was that it is very possible to have good compliance, including at a large resort that attracts international travelers, if the message from the top is clear and teams are deployed accordingly.

ETA: If this isn't happening consistently at Vail resorts, it's a corporate problem.
Agree that local leadership is key. What I experienced at Jackson Hole and Alta was good. But it's clearly taken some time for JH to really get serious from what I've heard. At GT there were supervisors and more senior lifties who were vocal about reminding people to distance and/or cover their noses. But it wasn't as consistent as at Alta. In the case of GT, it's mostly locals on a busy Saturday.

I also realized that the "front row" approach to moving people towards the RFID gates at Alta is perfectly suited to social distancing. There is also a lot of space available for Alta to extend lift lines, while also having ghost lanes between the active lanes where people wait in line. Very different than the every narrowing merge concept used at neighboring Snowbird.

Every region is different and within region, each resort is somewhat unique. I think that's still true even for VR locations that are supposed to have consistent operational policies. The source for employees still varies a great deal by region. How a destination resort in Colorado handles operations cannot be identical to an "urban" ski resort in the midwest, mid-Atlantic, or northeast.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks for clarifying, @StayWarm ! I have never skied out west, and I can't keep track of which mountain belongs to which pass without looking them up. You are so right: it is possible to gain acceptable compliance. I am hopeful to find it at Hunter, Belleayre, Gore, Whiteface or Thunder Ridge this year!

marzNC

Angel Diva
One way to quickly see all Epic locations is to use the interactive map function on OpenSnow for multi-resort passes. Can look up Epic, Ikon, MCP, and a few others as well.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've only skied once at Breck this year and it was very early season. I thought they did a pretty good job enforcing mask compliance. One time at Vail and they weren't trying very hard; three times at Keystone and it was mixed - last week was the worst. So of the day-drive from Denver Epic resorts, it isn't very good IMO. We're heading up to Breck again tomorrow; we'll see how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly