• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What would you want to see in a women's MTB blog post?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The company I work for makes a bunch of mountain sports-centric sites, including a mountain biking site. We'd like to do a series of posts that are geared more towards women, but... what? :smile:

I'm a pretty mediocre mountain biker, so I hesitated to weigh in too heavily, lest all the posts be stereotypical "I'm a woman and I'm not that good, give me basic tips" kinds of posts. If you're a mountain biker, are there particular things that resonated with you as you were learning to ride? Particular experiences that were good or bad? Things you wish you'd known? Things you'd like to read about related to biking in general? Women you'd like to see interviewed about a certain topic?

Thanks!! Really even any random stream-of-consciousness thoughts anyone has would be helpful.

(@ski diva, feel free to axe / edit if this is too close to self-promotion.)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Repair stuff and general maintenance stuff comes to mind. I haven't biked since November so my biking brain is a little foggy at the moment :tongue:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
When I first started mountain biking, I would have loved a step-by-step on how to change and repair a flat on trail. Also something about what essentials you should have on day rides - for example, flat repair kit, basic first aid stuff (i was kicking myself the first time I fell off my bike, got road rash and was bleeding all the way back to the trailhead), sunscreen etc... Also, maybe some features on women's mountain biking camps for all levels? I've read a lot about camps for advanced lady riders, but I know there are a few for novices, so maybe some reviews/profiles of those? I'd also love to read some features on great mtb destinations that also profile novice/intermediate rides, and not just advanced ones. For example, SO and I have been thinking about going to Sedona, but it was really hard to find info on novice/intermediate trails. Is this the kind of stuff you were looking for?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I read a lot of mtb blogs.

The best, best BEST post I read lately was this one:
https://www.sydschulz.com/mountain-biking/stop-saying-sorry
This was so real, and so relate-able, for almost every woman I know. I feel like there aren't a lot of blogs that I can identify with. I'm a really good rider, but I don't go big or go fast. So, I'm out of the bracket of the new rider experience or the racer experience. It seems these topics come up over and over again so I'm kind of bored with them, not that they aren't relevant. Now I am very interested in following a lot of the current discussion on marginalization and misogyny in the bike industry. I don't get tired of that, lol.

Ideas -
Do it yourself mountain bike trip planning. Who has $2500 to pay a guide for a week? Not me. How about how to plan your own trip, where to get info, find trail info, find camping info, what to pack, how to put it together, etc.

Suspension for dummies, explained.
Bike tech for dummies.
Bike geometry for dummies.
With any of the above, there's so much info out there that it rapidly goes into overload.

This is kind of fun. A local fly fishing instructor took our mtb clinic and did a little blog about it..
https://talestanglesandtightlines.blogspot.com/2015_07_01_archive.html

I'm not a blogger, but I did have a very mindblowing experience last year relating to a clinic experience, my learning style, anxiety and finally understanding that I'm not fucked up and incapable of doing certain things, I just don't function well in certain environments. I can detail it later.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

This was so real, and so relate-able, for almost every woman I know. I feel like there aren't a lot of blogs that I can identify with. I'm a really good rider, but I don't go big or go fast. So, I'm out of the bracket of the new rider experience or the racer experience. It seems these topics come up over and over again so I'm kind of bored with them, not that they aren't relevant. Now I am very interested in following a lot of the current discussion on marginalization and misogyny in the bike industry. I don't get tired of that, lol.

THIS! I read that Syd Schulz post too and loved it!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member

Ideas -
Do it yourself mountain bike trip planning. Who has $2500 to pay a guide for a week? Not me. How about how to plan your own trip, where to get info, find trail info, find camping info, what to pack, how to put it together, etc.

Suspension for dummies, explained.
Bike tech for dummies.
Bike geometry for dummies.
With any of the above, there's so much info out there that it rapidly goes into overload.

This is kind of fun. A local fly fishing instructor took our mtb clinic and did a little blog about it..
https://talestanglesandtightlines.blogspot.com/2015_07_01_archive.html

I'm not a blogger, but I did have a very mindblowing experience last year relating to a clinic experience, my learning style, anxiety and finally understanding that I'm not fucked up and incapable of doing certain things, I just don't function well in certain environments. I can detail it later.

@geargrrl, thank you! I remember you posting about that clinic experience; I'll go find & read the thread again.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess everyone has different preference.

I don't read much about mountain biking (or biking in general). I have no interest in the racing situation, who's on top right now... And much of the bike mechanics stuff I either already done or decided it's better to send it to the shop.

But I love to read blogs of rides in interesting destination! What makes a destination interesting isn't how hard the trail is. It can be drop dead gorgeous from a secluded mountain top only accessible by bike. Or it maybe some swimming hole in the middle of wilderness. I just love to read about them. Of course, exotic destination in far away places get me excited (even if I have no intention to do the same, I do live vicariously in other people's trips too). Granted, I can read about those in ANY blog space, not necessarily women's blog. But I could do without all the testosterone in most guys' blogs.

And yes, DIY bike trips can be interesting too. But I'm not sure if there's much to write about after one or two of them, without having them all about the same.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Hah, if you find it, let me see what I wrote and if I have the update .

Unfortunately, I can't find it. I might just be mixing up your Skiing & Anxiety thread contributions with all the misc bike camp stuff you've posted over the years, after reading back a bit... :smile:

Thanks @ling !

canadianjem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that it would be amazing to have a site like SKI DIVA!!!! for women bikers!
A place to meet up and take adventures together, talk about home trails, bike issues, buy and sell bike related items..
Sorry, i guess i went off on a tangent there...not blog related...oops :smile:

canadianjem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are already active women's mtb forums.
Yeah...but the ones that I have found are not nearly as great as "skidiva".

It's usually 1 "girls" thread and then there are a million topics under this 1 thread. Most of the topics are men trying to buy bikes for wives/SO or how to get a woman to like biking..lol

It would be great if there was 1 website ONLY for women and was an amazing and active site like this one

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'll second what others have mentioned: interesting destinations, DIY day/weekend/week-long trips, basic bike mechanics, on the trail fixes. I'll add, I really enjoy reading about inspiring Average Jane experiences. There's so much out there about top riders and racers, but I have enjoyed reading about people I can relate to...stories of getting into biking, how they got into it, when they did, first race experiences, etc., not just the pros.

For example, I recently read an article on a lady that did the Great Divide trail that was pretty inspiring because I could really relate to her, she wasn't a top racer or someone you see on the front page every day, just someone that decided to go for it.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
For example, I recently read an article on a lady that did the Great Divide trail that was pretty inspiring because I could really relate to her, she wasn't a top racer or someone you see on the front page every day, just someone that decided to go for it.

I saw that, too -- it was incredible. Thanks!

altagirl

Staff member
I do still watch the DH races online, but beyond that have little to no interest in reading about racing or training for races or things like that anymore. I'm not really trying to go faster or bigger these days. I prefer what my husband calls "the anti-flow" - meaning instead of the high speed flow trails that are like a smooth road with big jumps, I like the tight trees and roots and rocks and needing to trackstand to pick my way through things that require some maneuvering and effort instead of feeling like you're just on a rollercoaster ride. And I like seeing and hearing about those types of rides. BUT - I feel like I'm so in the minority on my preferences that I'm not sure my personal interests are good advice for someone wanting a popular blog. And I guess I don't really read a lot of blogs on any topic, so I'm not sure what topics would really trigger me to start. I would probably be interested in some nerdy, almost physical therapy oriented stuff on alignment and form and how to keep your body feeling good instead of just riding better.

And I'd concur that there are multiple forums out there for women cyclists.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga