• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What wildlife do you see on the slope?

SuperMoe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious, I know someone had posted a picture of a coyote and a kid sometime when I joined. Our little bump is residential...on the side of a hill in "town" facing the town on the other side of the canal, so considering all the wildlife we have here, I doubt we would see anything on the slope.

What have you seen?

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank God I didn't see that coyote @ Copper!

The most I've seen (execpt for birds) are squirrels and picas

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple of weeks ago at Jackson, there were 3 moose hanging out on the main run beneath the gondola. At one point, they were charging skiers. Scary yet incredibly funny at the same time.

altagirl

Staff member
On the slopes at Alta I've seen a coyote (actually one in the middle of a slope and one in the parking lot), lots of ermine and squirrels, and an enormous porcupine. And on the drive home from Alta I've seen moose and loads of mountain goats. And I've seen a bunch of marmots at Snowbird, but for some reason I've only seen them at the Bird and not at Alta.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen wild turkeys at Mt Snow, trotting right across a ski run and freaking out the people skiing down.
I've also seen a porcupine, various rodents, a fox, and I too have seen a moose at JH under the old tram.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen porcupines at Alta, including one that was cruising around outside Alf's at lunchtime one day. At Steamboat this year I saw what I think was a mouse scrambling up the slope I was skiing down.

I missed the moose some of the rest of my group saw at The Canyons but saw their picture of it, just standing in the middle of the run.

And birds and squirrels, of course.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There was a moose charging skiers in the backcountry here, he's been shot as there was something wrong with him. I've seen a couple of ermine, a ptarmigan, and a bald eagle while skiing. I see mulies, whitetails and the occasional elk going to and from.

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant is noted for the deer. We've had them at the condo. Groundhogs come spring and chipmunks. I was on a course back in December and one of the gals fell in a steep narrow run (Marie Claude Asselin). She just missed a chipmunck. All she could say was it was better than hitting a deer she'd seen the day before on the side of a run. Naturally the jokes about wild life started after that!!

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have seen deer. A couple of years ago an instructor told me someone hit a deer while skiing. I can't imagine hitting a deer on skis!

A couple of mice running on top of the snow...

And a beautiful white dove in a tree last weekend.

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A whole crowd of marmottes, a deer, one snow bunny and a Lammergeier (bearded vulture) which looked big enough to carry away a small person! Oh, and loadsa alpine choughs & snow buntings (like sandwich remains).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A couple of weeks ago at Jackson, there were 3 moose hanging out on the main run beneath the gondola. At one point, they were charging skiers. Scary yet incredibly funny at the same time.
:eek: Man, those things can run FAST, too. Supposedly seen at/around Sugarloaf, though most seem to know to stay beyond boundaries?? Lots of small wildlife where I ski - hares, chipmunks, squirrels, hawks, bald eagles. I love watching the birds of prey soar, and they're pretty hungry around now - so they're fearless re: skiers.

Quite a few wild turkeys on/near runs at Sunday River, mostly due to the recent clearing of what obviously was once their wooded home, now new condos :( - poor guys.

Still haven't seen nearly as much at resorts as I see right in my yard - another story, another thread? Can you say bear?

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the way, is a chipmunck the same as a woodchuck ? Do they munch chips and wood ?

No, they like nuts, seeds, insects, etc... They don't eat wood. They like to create holes too. Around here, many folks get annoyed with them due to them burrowing holes against foundations and causing havoc! My parents have an area against their back porch <brick & mortar> where you'd think someone dug out, but it was the chipmunks.

They're pretty cute lil things. Personally, I like squirrels better. We have "Mr. Squirrel" in our back tree... it's a huge tree. He's huge, and him and the other squirrels like to hang upsidedown in the berry tree and eat, then throw nut shells at my neighbors <i'm serious...yes, i am>... It's pretty funny.

We feed him pecans occassionally in the summer. He'll come right up to you and grab it from you, then sit beside you and eat it! It's hilarious!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Gaggles of hormonally-charged male two footers attempting to balance on sticks.
Amen to that. Depending on the time of year and which day or resort I (wisely or unwisely) choose, that's the ticket, for sure.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gaggles of hormonally-charged male two footers attempting to balance on sticks.

I actually haven't seen any real wildlife on the slopes yet.
Love that description!

By the way, is a chipmunck the same as a woodchuck ? Do they munch chips and wood ?
A chipmunk is probably 1/8 the size of a woodchuck, if not smaller. Not the same at all. Woodchuck (aka ground hog) are cute but you don't see them as often as chipmunks around here.

I have never seen any "wildlife" on the slopes. Then again, I mostly ski in CT. We're not exactly teeming with wildlife these days.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen anything too exciting. Here in Vermont, I saw a porcupine hanging out in a tree once, and I've seen turkeys and a weasel in the woods beside the trail (no, they weren't together). I've also had chipmunks run out in front of me. Pretty startling!

In Steamboat, I saw a fox run across the trail. But that's it.

No moose, yeti, mountain lions, bears, or wooly mammoths. Sigh.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What, no woolly mammoths??? :ROTF:

True wildlife shows up at those resorts which encourage April Fools' Day celebrations. One of the best ones I saw was at Snowbird. Someone was actually skiing with a plastic garbage can held on via suspenders (HOW DID HE GET UP THE LIFT?) - and not much else. Wish I had photos, most is on old vhs video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga