• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What is THE best way to stay in shape for skiing?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I try to mix it up in the off season. Monday and Tuesday I did weights and swam 36 laps; Wednesday I hiked 6 miles; today I biked 22; tomorrow I'll swim and do weights again. I figure they're all good, and one way or another, they'll keep me in shape for ski season. But is one any better than the rest?

What do you think is the best way to stay in shape for skiing?

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cross training is the best I think, with an emphasis on strengthening, core/balance, cardiovascular & endurance.

I work with a personal trainer on Tuesdays & Thursdays which incoprorates the strengthening & core/balance. He is also a skier so he really knows what is important to me. I worked with him pre-ski season last year (October through early December) and it is amazing the difference in my balance & strength. And, I have consistently gone to the gym twice a week or more since I was 16yo. It is just different with the way he mixes it up. Plus, I needed a different workout @ age 43, then the one I have been doing since I was a teen! I stopped working with him December through April. Can't commit when there is powder on the ground! Anyway, I don't think I would've made it out of Blue Sky Basin successfully on one ski if it wasn't for the training. Also, after my training session, I then hit the ellipitical (sp) for 30 minutes.

On Mondays & Wedensdays it is doing something outside. Whether it is hiking with the dog..which averages 6-10 miles round trip. Or the occassional bike ride. I don't ride my bike as much the last few years cuz I prefer to hike with the dog instead of leaving him at home.

With these hikes, I hope to "bag" a couple of the 14ers and more than a couple of the 13ers this summer/fall. That's where the REAL endurance kicks in!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Triathlons! :becky:

Seriously, though, after I started doing tris last summer, I was amazed at the difference in my skiing this past season. All of a sudden, I was skiing stuff I had never thought possible. Bumps are SO much easier now. The biggest difference for me, I think, is a combination of increased leg strength from biking and running, and greatly increased core strength.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a slacker---sitting at the computer, business travel, meetings----in the off-season to make up for all the work days missed for my ski addiction in the winter. So, trying to run at least 3 days / week, but need to cross-train.

Wish I could spring for a 'skiers edge' and a cute buff trainer!!!! Or a new job.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just begun trail running. It's quite a change from road running and covers the same territory as trail biking but allows me to go where I can't yet bike; I sure can run even the gnarliest up-and-down trails.

It's challenging. All my senses have to be totally "on" to avoid tripping up. No one can see how slow I go because I'm the only one out there in the woods dodging the rocks and roots and twisting and turning amongst the trees. So it's not about going fast (for me), but about feeling good as I do it, and aiming for some gracefulness. It's a cerebral challenge as well as a physical one, involving balance and fast action and reaction.

I don't know how good trail running is as a pre-season training gig for skiing, but it sure beats the gym. It's definitely good for training me to look ahead, by the way.

Anybody else doing this?

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just begun trail running. It's quite a change from road running and covers the same territory as trail biking but allows me to go where I can't yet bike; I sure can run even the gnarliest up-and-down trails.

It's challenging. All my senses have to be totally "on" to avoid tripping up. No one can see how slow I go because I'm the only one out there in the woods dodging the rocks and roots and twisting and turning amongst the trees. So it's not about going fast (for me), but about feeling good as I do it, and aiming for some gracefulness. It's a cerebral challenge as well as a physical one, involving balance and fast action and reaction.

I don't know how good trail running is as a pre-season training gig for skiing, but it sure beats the gym. It's definitely good for training me to look ahead, by the way.

Anybody else doing this?

Wicked good, as I used to say when I lived in Boston! Trail running combines balance, agility and cardio! From my own experience, I found that even the most intense weight training and cardio program is useless without balance and core training.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's so good to hear that coming from you! Framing ski training as working on cardio, agility, balance, strength (and core strength) helps a lot when figuring out what's needed. Agility is a concept I usually don't think about.

But boy I can't ramp up the training level as fast as I want with this trail running. The old knees just won't stand for it. I have to curb my enthusiasm way more than I want. It's so much fun, but really draining. Clearly it's really good for cardio and balance, and if there are hills, for strength too.

Core- come to think of it, I guess that probably comes best from doing the right stuff in the gym. But trail running does require some interesting body work, head to toe, which must include some core work. You gotta duck branches. And you have to contort the whole body to stay in balance while wiggling down those rocky declines - whatever it takes to keep up the pace without face planting on those rocks(!!!) But I guess nothing works the middle to prepare for angulation and fore-aft movements on snow like getting on a roman chair or reverse sit-up machine.

abc

Banned
While I enjoyed trail running whenever I do it. I don't do it much. Where I live (in a city) is not the most convineint place to trail run! ;-) And if I drive all the way to the woods, I prefer mountain biking which is a lot more "flowy" than running. But for the majority of time, I simply take out my road bike and ride from my front door. Lazy, I know... ;-)

I don't think of skiing fit since skiing isn't my main hobby. Not that I think of cycling (my main hobby) fit either. Cycling is usually consider a "fitness" exercise rather than a recreation in itself -- though I get so much fun out of it, I only think of the fitness as a byproduct! ;-)

I take fitness as more of a healthy liftstyle and a wide variety of activities that works different part of the body and keeps it young. Skiing is more of a test of that concept -- if I don't feel fit when skiing, I'm not doing well enough in keeping a general fitness to suit my lifestyle. But I try NOT to target skiing (or biking) as a fitness goal. I simply don't have the time to do sport specific trainings since I don't really have a "off-season" per se. I simply switch to another activity and got too busy because of it. Going to a gym is the last thing I care to do on a nice sunny day! :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Mountain biking. It really amazes me, the better I get at mountain biking, how many parallels there are in technique.

Plus, especially since I do a variety of types of mountain biking, it's definitely a full body workout for balance, core, power, endurance, visual training in looking ahead, pumping and flowing with terrain, etc.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ideally, I think hiking at altitude would be the best off-season workout. Barring that, cycling seems to be the skiier's off-season sport of choice.

I just do whatever makes me happy and rarely notice any difference during each ski season.

K.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me, gym and mountain biking.

One thing I've learned with both skiing and mountain biking is that our quads tend to get "overdeveloped" compared to our hamstrings. This muscle imbalance can cause injuries, which I'm sure some of you can explain better.

So, I've been trying to pay a little more attention to my hammies and core than I used to to get them more in balance with my quads. I found an awesome 20-25 minute exercise routine for home on one of the bike sites that focuses on the core and hammies. I think it was called "Hardcore". I'll try to find it for you guys.

altagirl

Staff member
Ideally, I think hiking at altitude would be the best off-season workout. Barring that, cycling seems to be the skiier's off-season sport of choice.

I just do whatever makes me happy and rarely notice any difference during each ski season.

K.

You can mountain bike at the same altitude (often on the same mountains) you ski at. I'm just curious why you thinking hiking is better cross training? To me hiking seems like it would only be better cross training for backcountry touring (the uphill part).

And regarding hamstrings: Not to discount doing extra exercises for your hamstrings - that's important. But personally - I don't think I overtrain quads on my bike anymore. Once you really start working on #1- pedaling in circles, where you get a lot of power from the hamstring part of the circle and #2 really being active on your bike and pumping terrain features, I notice my hamstrings feeling tired/lactic acid burn as much or more than in my quads while I'm riding - downhill in particular. Which I never used to notice and has corresponded directly with getting more active on my bike - moving forward/back/side to side all the time, jumping over little things in the trail all the time, etc.

I almost think the better I get on a bike the more hamstrings (and other muscles - stabilizers, calves, etc.) you use. No more "sit and mash with your quads". :smile: And I think my singlespeed does wonders for core strength too.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost think the better I get on a bike the more hamstrings (and other muscles - stabilizers, calves, etc.) you use.

Totally agree! I've been trying to pedal more of the full circle, but admit that sometimes laps back into bad habbits. :rolleyes:

That said, I suspect you might be a "bit" (reads "a lot") more advanced than I. :laugh: So, you probably get a more well rounded workout. :D Don't worry though, I still have fun!

altagirl

Staff member
Totally agree! I've been trying to pedal more of the full circle, but admit that sometimes laps back into bad habbits. :rolleyes:

That said, I suspect you might be a "bit" (reads "a lot") more advanced than I. :laugh: So, you probably get a more well rounded workout. :D Don't worry though, I still have fun!

Heh - chances are, probably not at the pedaling part though, just the downhilling part.

My bad climbing habit lately is that I've noticed I hunch my shoulders... I have to constantly remind myself to drop my shoulders and relax.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
#2 really being active on your bike and pumping terrain features, I notice my hamstrings feeling tired/lactic acid burn as much or more than in my quads while I'm riding - downhill in particular.

PS. Speaking of terrain features, I found this cool natural bike park on my ride last night that I didn't know was there. I tried one of the easier pieces and it was super cool! Will be fun to go try it again!

These pics aren't of me or anyone I know, but they are taken at that spot... thought you might like a look.

https://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show_static/3539-arastradero-jump-session

altagirl

Staff member

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have to train all year, end of story. It's an age thing...:rolleyes: Happily, a regional fitness center offers classes from the Les Mills Body Training Systems - and they're really fun. I've been going for about 3 years now and alternate step aerobics (BodyStep) with weight training (BodyPump) and BodyFlow (t'ai ch'i/pilates/yoga). These classes are one hour each, to music. I need the structure of CLASS.

3 years ago when we first started this program, DH had a 95 point drop in his total cholesterol within 4 months (:thumbsup:) - so it's definitely working for him!! I haven't had my numbers checked in awhile, I'm due this summer, we shall see.

Not sure if this will embed, but here is a short video of the program, which originated in New Zealand (their theme music is of Maori origin).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52B0ic-YXTo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52B0ic-YXTo[/ame]

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found the Hardcore exercise article I mentioned earlier! While it's on a bicycling site, I think it would also be helpful for skiers. :D

https://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-4-41-16856-1,00.html

The first time through can be a little awkward if you're not a yoga person, but give it a try anyway. Just wish there were a couple pictures to assist. :p

Enjoy!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can mountain bike at the same altitude (often on the same mountains) you ski at. I'm just curious why you thinking hiking is better cross training? To me hiking seems like it would only be better cross training for backcountry touring (the uphill part).

Yeah I guess so. As I don't live anywhere near altitude (unless you count 500 ft?) and don't mountain bike, mountain biking high up didn't occur to me. The part about skiing that gets to me the most is the hiking bits when I have gone out west and we've hiked to terrain, so that's why hiking occurred to me as being beneficial.

abc

Banned
Physically, anything that works the legs would probably be benefitial.

The parallel of downhill mountain biking to skiing is, to me, more mental. The idea of being aggressive and speed helps considerably. I'm by nature a slow poke, and hates speed (I have poor eye sight and slow reflex so the thought of running head long into obstacle is frightening). But I've slowly increased my speed in both downhill mountain biking and downhill skiing when I realize going faster make things a lot easier!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna