• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What is a good roller for IT Band?

mustski

Angel Diva
Hi all. I overstretched my IT Band which I did not even feel happening. I am looking for a good roller to help relieve the tightness but have no idea what to get. Do any of you fitness divas have a recommendation for what type is good for a beginner?

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Hi all. I overstretched my IT Band which I did not even feel happening. I am looking for a good roller to help relieve the tightness but have no idea what to get. Do any of you fitness divas have a recommendation for what type is good for a beginner?
As a runner, I run into IT band issues if I'm not doing adequate strength training and foam rolling. For beginners, I recommend going the hard foam route (think giant pool noodle). I have both the foam as well as a hard/foam plastic one and the plain foam is a bit gentler on the IT band and thighs. I've also used a hand roller wand along the band with success as well. Just be careful not to overdo the rolling as you can make it worse. Have fun! :thumbsup:

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks. Yes, the plan is to keep it super gentle to start with. Like I said, I didn't feel the "overstretch" happen. I just woke up the next day with pain. It's frightening to think that I can hurt myself without being aware of my limits.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What I learned from my personal trainer was that 4 reps plus a short hold at a particular point was plenty. Definitely a "less is more" approach.

I haven't really noticed much difference between the "pool noodle" foam rollers at the fitness center and the hard plastic GRID that I ended up buying. It's easier to use a longer foam roller.

https://www.rei.com/product/115936/trigger-point-performance-grid-foam-roller

I collected together a few videos that introduce foam rolling for my Over 50 Ski Fitness blog. Here's one for the hip, which is my common issue.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can also use a massage ball or lacrosse ball to roll your glutes standing up against a wall. In any case, go easy. Rolling can be painful and I'm not convinced that suffering through it with gritted teeth is really therapeutic.

What I learned from my personal trainer was that 4 reps plus a short hold at a particular point was plenty. Definitely a "less is more" approach.
+1 on this.

There are sticks too: Trigger Point Performance GRID Foam Roller

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@VickiK - My massage therapist is not a fan of daily rolling of muscles. And he is an RN so has medical training as well. He is in favor of rolling knots out when they develop. But daily “squishing of muscles” doesn’t make sense to him. And he sees people who do that who are not changing or improving from week to week or month to month.

I’m with you on the pain including gritted teeth part! And also with MarzNC on less is more. I completed my personal training certification at the time rolling was becoming really big. I had the feeling for some trainers it was in easy way out of having to program an entire hours worth of work! I refused to work at one place with the head trainer wanted trainers to stretch out clients 10 minutes at the start and 10 minutes at the end of each session. Warm-up? Yes! But taking 20 minutes away felt like I would be cheating clients.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
@VickiK - My massage therapist is not a fan of daily rolling of muscles. And he is an RN so has medical training as well. He is in favor of rolling knots out when they develop. But daily “squishing of muscles” doesn’t make sense to him. And he sees people who do that who are not changing or improving from week to week or month to month..

Yeah, I know some folks who roll every day. I only roll when I can feel muscles getting tight and knots forming. I find it really helps. Having various density rollers allows me to control the firmness depending on what needs rolled (I need real firm for my calves, softer for IT band area). I have a foam ball for the glutes (piriformis) and lacrosse ball for my shoulder blades. My husband just laughs at me moaning and groaning on the floor in various positions trying to work out knots. LOL

mustski

Angel Diva
My doctor recommended it in my case. I'm not allowed to walk up or down hill or up or down stairs unless absolutely necessary. (did I mention that I live in a two story cabin in the mountains!!!) He suggested that rolling the IT band may speed along the process for loosening it up. I'm not even allowed to perform gentle stretches until the pain is gone. He then anticipates it will take a full year for the injury to completely heal. Like I said, it freaks me out because I did not feel anything happen and did not over do it as far as I know. He did not prohibit skiing ... he just said if anything hurts, then stop it. I'm crossing my fingers that skiing won't hurt.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In a pinch a good ole rolling pin can work wonders for the ITB. Sit on your bed/chair kinda on the side so you can straighten the outer leg, roll away. I'm not a huge fan of foam rolling just because the majority of positions cause you to contort your body. I do love it though for para spinal muscle stretching but I'm very careful to keep my body neutral.

mustski

Angel Diva
In a pinch a good ole rolling pin can work wonders for the ITB. Sit on your bed/chair kinda on the side so you can straighten the outer leg, roll away. I'm not a huge fan of foam rolling just because the majority of positions cause you to contort your body. I do love it though for para spinal muscle stretching but I'm very careful to keep my body neutral.
So do you recommend a hand roller then? I know this is your wheelhouse. Can you expand on what you mean by neutral?

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also if your feet pronate at all (which is the vast majority of us), it will cause your knee to rotate medially/in and that will in turn torque your ITB.

mustski

Angel Diva
Also if your feet pronate at all (which is the vast majority of us), it will cause your knee to rotate medially/in and that will in turn torque your ITB.
Ok now this makes more sense than anything the doctor or PT has said to me! I have had piriformis issues, metatarsal issues, dorsaflexion issues, and knee pain prior to this "injury." For a year, I have been certain that the cause is in my foot. These have all been in the right leg. The left is fine.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So do you recommend a hand roller then? I know this is your wheelhouse. Can you expand on what you mean by neutral?
I do like hand rolling because you have a bit more control on pressure than just body weight on foam rollers. "The Stick" is a brand used by lots of runners and I do like mine. For stretching the muscles alongside your spine, I position the roller behind me. I then make sure that my head and torso are in line (ear over shoulder over hip, hand behind head, elbows out) while I go up and down the spine. Too often I see people hunching their back, chins flexed. Forward head position strains the spinal cord. People are already in a flexed/sympathetic mode so I always like to put the body in neutral.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok now this makes more sense than anything the doctor or PT has said to me! I have had piriformis issues, metatarsal issues, dorsaflexion issues, and knee pain prior to this "injury." For a year, I have been certain that the cause is in my foot. These have all been in the right leg. The left is fine.

Yes, feet ARE a big deal to me and I address that with ALL of my lumbar/sciatic/low back pain patients. I am always suspicious of knee pain that has no known trauma (ie a fall or direct hit). Knees are big joints and meant to hinge back and forth. If they hurt, usu there is a rotational aspect to investigate and that often is caused by the feet. If you pm where you live I can see if I have a colleague nearby who addresses spinal biomechanics. Our body/machine is really only as strong as the weakest link. (Many times that weekness originates from the feet. If the foundation of the body is compromised, you can imagine what follows.)

Jenny

Angel Diva
My doctor recommended it in my case. I'm not allowed to walk up or down hill or up or down stairs unless absolutely necessary. (did I mention that I live in a two story cabin in the mountains!!!) He suggested that rolling the IT band may speed along the process for loosening it up. I'm not even allowed to perform gentle stretches until the pain is gone. He then anticipates it will take a full year for the injury to completely heal. Like I said, it freaks me out because I did not feel anything happen and did not over do it as far as I know. He did not prohibit skiing ... he just said if anything hurts, then stop it. I'm crossing my fingers that skiing won't hurt.
This is NOT the way to start your first retirement winter!

mustski

Angel Diva
Yes, feet ARE a big deal to me and I address that with ALL of my lumbar/sciatic/low back pain patients. I am always suspicious of knee pain that has no known trauma (ie a fall or direct hit). Knees are big joints and meant to hinge back and forth. If they hurt, usu there is a rotational aspect to investigate and that often is caused by the feet. If you pm where you live I can see if I have a colleague nearby who addresses spinal biomechanics. Our body/machine is really only as strong as the weakest link. (Many times that weekness originates from the feet. If the foundation of the body is compromised, you can imagine what follows.)
I am currently living in Big Bear California, but will also be in Oceanside, California on and off over the next 2 months.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch. The prospect of taking a whole year is awful. Heal soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna