• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What does a good Diva do when her DH is injured?

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowhot --

Boy does that bring back memories!

I scanned the x-ray too, when DH did a very similar break -- his was ring-finger on his right hand.

He'd sympathize with yours -- but he tipped over on a cat track because "it's flat, no need to pay attention."

So, when he realized that he wasn't going to be able to do it safely, (140+ hairpin turns on the icy 16 mile drive down) I drove him down the mountain, while he iced the hand with his ziploc bag of snow and alternated between being just fine, and "get me to a doctor NOW," dropped him off at a doctor (carrying his slush-bag) and went home for the insurance info (I carry that with me now!), and then suffered through his determination to drive home. Fool figured he could buckle his seat belt while driving! (good thing there was no traffic as he pulled out of the parking lot! AND good thing he suddenly developed the sense to realize that he was going to need to pull off the road!)

He went to work that evening, but not before I took some pictures. While he was gone, I scanned x-rays, and sent all the pix off to mom and dad. I even went out to shop office supply stores in town to find some of the world's fattest pens. (those crayola little kid crayons look scrawny in comparison!)

I took daily pictures, that I e-mailed to mom, cuz she gets a kick out of that kind of thing for some reason, (the x-rays particularly delighted her!) and now we have a flip book of the colors and swelling. It was fun to compare the dailies... He thought about skiing, but apparently wasn't as resourceful as yours -- ductape didn't occur to him!

That was the year I'd messed up my shoulder and my fingernails on a double-black ice sheet, so I didn't mind being a couch potato with him for the next few weeks too much.

Kano

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mr. SH seemed to be in great spirits today and had no problem skiing without SnowHot. The duct tape appeared to be working well although he was complaining that his thumb was getting cold. NO WAY was a stupid broken hand gonna stop HIM! (Does that sound like someone else we know and love???? :laugh: )
I forgot to update this!
Mr SH has skied with us three times. I guess he wasn't going to let me have fun without him.
Char, got him a pair of the sheep skin mittens that the lifties use to see if it would fit over his splint. Perfection. Warm and cozy!

Yesterday (monday) we went to the ortho. Terry with his ski pole in hand to ask if the cast could be molded to fit his ski pole.
Instead, the Doc made a splint that goes on the back of the hand, and bends the fingers into the proper position to keep the bone protected and extended for proper healing(at least as proper as it can for this active guy.

He can get his mitten on.
He can grip a pole with his two outside fingers and thumb.
I'd say, he's all set to head to Colorado!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowhot --

Boy does that bring back memories!

That was the year I'd messed up my shoulder and my fingernails on a double-black ice sheet, so I didn't mind being a couch potato with him for the next few weeks too much.

Kano
OMG. I messed up my shoulder a couple months ago!
Just got back on the mend when he did this number on his hand.
What a weird twist of fate, eh?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
... on a cat track... "it's flat, no need to pay attention."
Not pertaining to any of you, but this statement brought back some painful memories....of someone who wasn't paying attention on a cat track...:mad2: ....which is how I got clipped and injured 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, SnowHot, glad to hear the ortho was creative and that DH can go skiing!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Kano

you messed up your fingernails ?? that's weird and sounds like it would also hurt

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you messed up your fingernails ?? that's weird and sounds like it would also hurt

yeah, it did! (didn't break any, but they sure did hurt!)

Maybe if I hadn't been wearing the gloves, the nails would have gotten a real grip on the sheet of ice I was sliding down, trying to claw into before the rest of me got to the tree! I must have accomplished something, to mess up all those muscles and tendons and whatever. (lots of me to slow...)

(fortunately, the tree and I did not connect)

I'm pretty sure the shoulder wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't been trying to hold onto the hill, and it didn't stop me from skiing, but I couldn't do much of anything else for quite a while. And, in my infinite wisdom as a relatively new skier, I did NOT go to the doctor until ski season was over. Didn't want to be told to stay off the hill!

(didn't mind CHOOSING to stay off, but didn't want to be told I had to!)

Kano

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last winter I dated a diehard skier, but I first met him about a week after he tore his ACL. Go figure.

More than once, we've had (not-too-seriously) injured skiers hang out in the patrol building while their friends/family finish out their ski day.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we need a new diva rule here:

Husband's wounds are fair game!!!

SH, I love your sense of humor on this! The yellow jacket, red gloves, and dirt bike helmet are just priceless!

Could definately relate to a few of the posts on this thread! Like the DH who couldn't just get the skis from the ski locker without skiing! ...in the ski park!! Men are funny.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I can totally relate to an injured Diva Dude. Mr. Vanhoskier has his arm in a sling because it's broken at the top of the humerus, and I have to help him button his pants, tie his shoes, etc. When I went skiing in Vegas he threatened to have me duct tape his arm to his torso and ski anyway.

Instead, he spent the day in the lodge working on a presentation for work. He would never make me skip skiing because of him.

Last time I needed to go to the emergency room (in Golden), he dropped me off while he went up to Dinosaur Ridge to shoot some photos for his class!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vanhoskier. Duct tape is amazing!!! Do It!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna