• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What does a good Diva do when her DH is injured?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This good Diva goes skiing without him!!!

I thought I posted this story last Sunday, but my internet connection was unstable at the time and it appears that my post didn't take, and some divas have asked me about him, having seen this on epic............ so here goes.........

Last Thursday Mr SH slipped on the ice, and a cement block landed on his hand, causing a significant fracture.
n830505017_2429457_2829.jpg

So the prognosis is that he has to have a cobra cast until we get ready to go to Colorado then the doc will determine if its healed enough to put a splint on it so he can go skiing.
The swelling will not go down, because Mr SH behaves so well(insert sarcasm here). :nono:
So, because the swelling won't go down, and his fingers won't go into the cobra position, the cast has not been put on just yet.

Last night I was going skiing wit da boyz, for the 3rd time since Mr SH broke his hand, and it was killing him that he was missing out, so he found a knit mitten, and duct taped his pole to his hand, so he could go.
The only jacket that would fit over his splint is his old ugly yellow jacket that I recently convinced him to wear as his work coat.
Here is is, all bundled up and ready to ski.
n830505017_2449944_415.jpg

Make no mistake.........if he's not healed before we go to Colorado, I WILL go without him!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^^:eek: ^^^^ OW!
Get well soon, Mr SH!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL, you think I'm tough on him?
You shoulda been there to experience his buddies picking on him last night. The duct tape jokes were too much fun.

We had a lot of fun, and I'm not going to say a good share of the fun was at his expense. :ROTF:
But c'mon, you have to admit, he's not quite right in the head, and he protects it so well with that dirtbike helmet.
:loco:
n830505017_2449945_648.jpg

I guess I'm just one of the sensitive types :redface:

No safety bar on that lift eh? No safety bar lifts made me nervous :eek: . There was one at Big Sky that swung up pretty bouncy-like after you loaded and went over some pretty high spots that had no safety bar (Lone Moose Chair I think) and it gave me the willies.

Hope your DH is feeling better soon.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Safety bars on lifts are pretty rare around here.

Keep in mind, y'all, my husband is a dirtbiker first and foremost. His injuries are a part of my life. This broken hand is really a minor blurp on our radar. He's in very good spirits!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Poor guy. Though it looks like he's taking it in stride! :laugh: Love the dirtbike helmet! :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we need a new diva rule here:

Husband's wounds are fair game!!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heheh, SH, I like that rule (although with no DH it'll be awhile til I take part).

If I'm not coaching I rarely put a safety bar down on a lift even if there is one. Only when someone else insists and on one lift at Keystone that freaks me out for some reason, especially if I'm alone on it (a 6 person lift).

Oh.....I can SO relate to this thread! :rolleyes:

THIS DIVA IS MAKING HER MR. NVG DRIVE HER TO VAIL TO MEET OTHER DIVAS ON SUNDAY....EVEN THOUGH HE CAN'T SKI!!! :cheer:

As far as safety bars go...I'm a safety girl! Never really was into it before, and kindof felt silly, but now, the dizzyness and possibility of seizures is a bar down must!!!!

In fact, some ski areas make you clamp yourself to the back of the chair if you have seizures....Ok....that's not gonna happen! :becky:

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we need a new diva rule here:

Husband's wounds are fair game!!!

I agree! I can relate Snowhot. Mr Skigirl ruined a ski trip because of an injury. :mad2: We had planned on going skiing for 4 days up north. I had to go do some things in the morning the day before we left and Mr Skigirl had one job, go get the skis from our locker. He was only to get the skis not go skiing. Well I got home to him walking out of the house on crutches!!!!! :injured: He had blown his ACL in his left knee. He could not just go pick up the skis :nono: :nono: He had to ski!! Not only did he have to ski but because I was not there keeping track of him he had to go play in the terrain park like he was 16 again. He took a jump landed flat and that was it his ACL was gone. :injured:

That was the end of our trip. :mad2: I could not talk to him for 2 hours after that. I drove him to the doctor and then for the next 5 days I drove him in for x-rays and an MRI and then back to the doctor a few more times. He's never heard the end of it!! :yell: :mad: :mad2:

Snowhot I love the duct tape and the yellow coat!! I am glad that he can still ski and travel. It would be a real bummer if he could not travel and you had to miss out on your Colorado Trip.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question: Who took the duct tape off after you were finished skiing ?:laugh: or did you make him keep it on all night?

Jilly

Staff member
Question: Who took the duct tape off after you were finished skiing ? or did you make him keep it on all night?

Now there's a picture!!

Lucky for me DH has had only one injury/surgery during ski season. We plan them for off season. It was shoulder and minor, so he skied a couple of weeks later. No pole. When they did his ankle, it was after ski season, but lots of work for me. He was mobile on crutches, but couldn't really do anything. You can't carry full coffee mug and crutch along at the same time. He kept saying he owed me big time for putting up with him. I really haven't collected on that yet!!

altagirl

Staff member
Oh yeah - my husband and I have and agreement that if one is injured, the other still goes skiing, biking, whatever.

In fact when I had my last knee surgery, he dropped me off at the hospital 2 1/2 hours early so he could go skiing and then picked me up afterwards. The nurses were HORRIFIED that he wasn't sitting in the waiting room waiting for me the whole time, but I don't know what that does for me. And I've gone on long-weekend bike trips without him when he's been injured.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question: Who took the duct tape off after you were finished skiing ?:laugh: or did you make him keep it on all night?

One of his buddies took the duct tape off.
There were comments made about how much more fun it would be to take the duct tape off if it were attached to his arm hair.:ROTF:

Some comments that were made are definitely not "pc" enough to post here. :injured:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah - my husband and I have and agreement that if one is injured, the other still goes skiing, biking, whatever.

In fact when I had my last knee surgery, he dropped me off at the hospital 2 1/2 hours early so he could go skiing and then picked me up afterwards.
On the facebook comparison quiz, it said that you and I were a 91% match "like peas in a pod".
Now I know why!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The time my husband dislocated his shoulder and they were putting him on the sled to take them to the clinic, I said, "You're in good hands, I'm going to go find (daughter)," and took off. The patrol guy was stunned. I confess I did finally show up at the clinic once I'd located our daughter. But, mentally, I was worrying about the lost ski day.

When I had my accident, somehow I had enough sense to tell someone to turn off my altimeter so that I had my stats for the day. I haven't found out WHO I told yet, but I have the information SOMEHOW.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mr. SH seemed to be in great spirits today and had no problem skiing without SnowHot. The duct tape appeared to be working well although he was complaining that his thumb was getting cold. NO WAY was a stupid broken hand gonna stop HIM! (Does that sound like someone else we know and love???? :laugh: )

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Safety bars on lifts are pretty rare around here.
Yeah, it was weird going to Searchmont last weekend and having ski patrol nail us for not using the safety bar. :rolleyes: We had no clue that they were mandatory in Canada. :noidea:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna