• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you wear for spring skiing?

Yoga Diva

Certified Ski Diva
My teenage boys just wear their boxers under their ski pants. It's truly a sight when they get dressed in the parking lot. :ski:I, however, am still chilled by the wind and skiing fast so I keep my jacket and adjust my layers. And I always keep my face covered with a mask. Not because I'm cold, but because the western sun will kill your skin.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We keep having spring forecasts followed by winter conditions! It's no fun being underdressed.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here, snow all night, Loveland reported 6" overnight and another 3-6" today. Yesterday was in the 40's but the wind was howling so still dressed warm.

Not sure how long it will take the 100+ inches of snow to melt here. Hopefully it will be a slow melt. It could be a long mud season.

altagirl

Staff member
We keep having spring forecasts followed by winter conditions! It's no fun being underdressed.

In the past few days I've been going through that thing where I have no idea what time of year it is.

I was in the grocery store and was thinking, well, it's almost winter, so whatever veggies are done for the season. And then went WHAT? Wait... I think it was just so spring-like for a while (minus the greenery) and then it's blustery and cold again and felt like it's been fall turning to winter instead of the other way around. My brain is confused....

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here, snow all night, Loveland reported 6" overnight and another 3-6" today. Yesterday was in the 40's but the wind was howling so still dressed warm.

Not sure how long it will take the 100+ inches of snow to melt here. Hopefully it will be a slow melt. It could be a long mud season.
Correction, 200+ inches of snow so far this year.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are expecting a significant temperature drop and 5' of snow between Saturday and Wednesday. I am very excited. They have already postponed the FWT final till "the first clear day"... which unfortunately means that it's unlikely I will watch it this year as cannot take time off next week, but TBH I would rather be skiing powder! Not yet ready for spring...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am a layering girl. That said, I have never skied when it is warm enough for a tee and a shell! I run cold or perhaps run out of snow by the time it gets that warm?!

Jacket: I ski in a waterproof shell jacket all season and then layer accordingly. The jacket has pit zips so if it is warmer I utilize those. In the spring I wear a silky base layer, a thin puffy pullover, and the shell.

Pants: I have a pair of insulated pants I adore; they have thigh vents and I just wear a silky layer when it is warm. If it gets too warm for that I switch to a flocked soft-shell pant with the silky layer.

I have never been able to ski in gloves instead of insulated mittens, but I blame Raynaud's for that. I do have a pair of uninsulated mittens with a built-in glove liner....I aspire to be able to ski when it is warm enough to wear those!

altagirl

Staff member
I am a layering girl. That said, I have never skied when it is warm enough for a tee and a shell! I run cold or perhaps run out of snow by the time it gets that warm?!

I think it's a lot more common out West. We typically have well over 100" of base (200" of base in some years) and there will be days at the end of the season where it's 60-70+ degrees and you can still ski.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
In the spring, I'll wear a very thin base layers and and rain pants on the bottom, and either a tshirt, or a light merino wool top under a shell. That's about it. It can get very warm here as we get into mid-May.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Oh, and I have waterproof glove shells with a fleece liner from MEC, and usually I just take the fleece liner out and use the shells.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
This, if conditions warrant breaking it out (It is some sort of cotton blend, believe it or not)
IMG_0148.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
We currently have 3.5 feet of snow on the ground here, at the house, on March 21.
I'll let you know what I pick out in around 4 weeks. If it warms up.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monday it was sunny but the wind kept the temps down so I was dressed in my mid winter wear. Yesterday it hit the low 50's and even though I dressed with a lighter jacket and less layers I was too warm. Today the thermometer said 41 when we got back to the car but it was cloudy and snowy off and on all day. Dressed in my mid winter wear I was cold. Humidity? Right now it's hammering snow outside. Snow predicted through Friday morning. I love springtime in the Rockies.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Goretex shell, with big pit zips, with one (or two) light/medium base layer top. Base bottom, or not, depending on how warm/windy it is.

iamOshawott

Certified Ski Diva
I always bring my full set of clothes! It might sound ridiculous! It has 1 merino wool base layer, 1 North Face insulated base layer, 1 MEC T3 base layer then my Columbia Whirlibird jacket(it has a insulated mid layer and a shell). And for pants, I have 1 MEC T2 long johns and 1 MEC Treck4 pants then my ski pants(vented).

Now the coldest I've been, which was -25C on Sun Peaks, I had to wear the whole set but for local mountains, the coldest -5C, I just wear the merino wool, MEC T3 and the Whirlibird on top and MEC T2 long john and ski pants on the bottom. I tend to run cold, I have really bad circulation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga