• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you wear for spring skiing?

PhillySkier

Diva in Training
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and recently joined so I can participate! My family is going on a trip to Deer Valley in Utah next week. We regularly ski in the Poconos but have never taken a ski trip. DH has skied out west but none of the rest of us have. So things are looking pretty warm for when we're there - what do you wear to ski in? We're pretty well suited for cold weather with long underwear, insulated ski pants, ski jackets, neck warmers...but will those layers be too much? Thanks for any advice!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have vents/zips (legs, arms) in any of your ski wear and helmet? So much of this is personal preference/internal thermometer and even how active you are when you're skiing. The sun also plays a really huge role in how toasty I feel when skiing. It's a lot of trial and error with respect to layers, but vents are pretty helpful.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had this problem, my normal ski jacket was roasting in my March holidays to the point I was sweating too much and getting dehydrated.

I've now got a thin Columbia jacket I wear for spring skiing. I can add layers underneath if it's chilly, or just have one thin top on.

You want something that's thin, but windproof and waterproof. I made the mistake of wearing a fleece once on what I thought was a warm day, and I was FREEZING on the chairlifts.

It's a bit like this - and it really works!

https://www.columbia.com/Women's-Kruser-Ridge™-Softshell/WL6081,default,pd.html

altagirl

Staff member
Personally, I generally just use my normal ski jacket with a light layer underneath and the pit zips open as necessary. Layers really are key because it can feel really warm if it's sunny and in the upper 30's/low 40s, but if the wind picks up or the sun hides behind some clouds, suddenly it's going to feel a lot colder. That's where pit zips come in handy for sure. Same thing with pants - on really warm spring days I'll go down to my lightest layer underneath or even no base layers at all, and occasionally the vents open on my pants too.

There are spring days that I've skied in everything from my super cold weather gear and layers to literally - a spaghetti strap tank top and sports bra and my ski pants with the vents open. I'd recommend just bringing a variety of layers so you can adjust.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, lighter outer shell that is windproof and waterproof with one to two layers underneath. We will be in Utah next week also and I am bringing a lighter insulated jacket and a non-insulated one, and only non-insulated pants. Hopefully if you wear helmets they also have vents, as those can be a real necessity on warmer ski days.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I moved from the east coast to Colorado, I quickly ditched my insulated jacket in favor of a shell. That's the one piece I'd be careful of - if you're wearing a fully insulated parka and you overheat, there's not much you can do - even with pit zips.

BitchHound

Certified Ski Diva
Waterproof and windproof shell (zero insulation) with light base layer plus light to heavier top depending upon solar radiance and wind. Pants are shells as well with light base layer. Pit zips and thigh vents are a must. This is my standard NM outfit down into the high-twenties (degrees F or just under 0 C for the metrically inclined or about 271 K for the geeky physicists in the crowd :becky:). I start adding insulation at that point.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Light thermal or silk underwear, t-shirt, goretex wind/waterproof shell with pit zips open, spring ski gloves (uninsulated but with leather palms), insulated ski pants without anything under but panties, or softshells with a rain pant over.

You still want to have a wind/water-proof layer, and you don't want to expose much skin. Not just because of sunburn and windburn, although that would be enough, but because if you go down on that lovely spring snow, you're going to find that it abrades your exposed skin just like coarse-grit sandpaper will.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sort of warm weather like in the 40s/low 50s---uninsulated ski pants, a light long sleeve T-shirt, thin polartech layer and shell jacket with pit zips either zipped or unzipped.

upper 50s---uninsulated ski pants with zippered vents in the legs, t shirt, shell jacket, spring/light gloves

60s+--uninsulated ski pants with vents unzipped, t shirt and a nylon vest, spring/light gloves.

mustski

Angel Diva
It depends if you carry a backpack or are willing to go to the car/locker to shed layers. I tend to prefer a lightweight insulated ski jacket and a short sleeved T- shirt. I will admit though that I have skied 3 days this WINTER (it's just bad) in a sweater with a base layer underneath!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thin merino T-shirt and a shell on top. I carry have a fleece in a backpack just in case. I would recommend getting lighter gloves for spring skiing, they can make a difference. Lot of sunscreen.

PhillySkier

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the input! I have ordered several additional layers, including rain pants for the girls and some shells for me (the Columbia one linked above- thx!). Thank goodness for Amazon Prime, it should all get here in time.

steelerafc

Certified Ski Diva
like @snow addict mentioned, I would go with lightweight but waterproof gloves. We were in Tahoe last weekend (booked trip and prayed for a late season dump...and yes, I know we missed 14in at Breck...) and ended up in some VERY spring conditions. It was in the 50s at Squaw on Saturday with bright sunshine. Skiied with all vents open, sunglasses on instead of goggles, and basically 1 summer hiking layer under jacket. I used my glove liners, but they were soaked the moment any of the slush hit them. My research / purchase this week is going to be a good waterproof spring skiing glove.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No base layer, performance shirt (long or short arm), uninsulated pants and jacket both with vents, protector vest, lightweight gloves, helmet, goggles, sun blocker.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear softshell jacket with a thin merino wool t-shirt when it's 50F and above. I also wear softshell ski pants which are very comfy and have a close fit like yoga pants - love them.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OMG, at the rate we are going here, I'll let you know the third week of April.
5 below zero tonight! MARCH 16! And 3 feet of snow on the ground!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It actually got to lower than TEN below zero F last night in inversion valleys here. :eek: Single digits here, and I'm at slight elevation (not a valley). This is clearly one of the coldest St Patty's Day I can remember since living here! (2001) And snow pack here is glacial, from 4 rain events in January. Will be mid-May before it all melts! (HOPEFULLY SLOWLY or we have our work cut out for us >:rolleyes:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna