• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you do with the bottoms of your base layers?

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
THe Bula top I picked up the other day ALMOST covers my butt -- THAT would stay in! (it will cover when more of my butt is gone, and I have a relatively long body) Interesting - it is much longer on me than what the photo on the web site shows. (www.bulabula.com -- the "layer one" link, Women's microstretch. -- just in case this incredibly long direct link isn't any good! https://www.bulabula.com/index.php?...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

I wear it on top of my pants, and it sticks snugly inside my shell pants.

Kano

altagirl

Staff member
I fold them up above my boot -- never leave them in! According to my bootfitter, that's a definite no-no, since it affects the overall fit of the boot. But hey, whatever works.

All bootfitters say that, but I think they're referring to anything that has a chance of bunching up. Because then they turn around and sell you CW-X tights and such that cannot possibly be worn otherwise.

The thing is, they're smoother than my socks, so it's not like I notice them, and I just wear them over my socks and I can't tell they're there. Back in the day when I wore thicker long underwear, I'd roll/push it up over the boot, but that can cut off your circulation and wearing the CW-X tights has worked better.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost always wear three base layers. I try to keep the bottom one a compression layer, then the next two looser, which usually means they are longer. I skootch up the compression layer and fold the others up. Nothing is allowed in the boot.

Once I wore three compression layers. All of them were a little long, so I skootched them all up together. When I took them off at the end of the day, I had bruises behind my knees from the built-up pressure from all the collected wrinkles. I never felt the pressure, but my blood vessels sure did. I haven't ever done that again.

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
Ugh, this has been one of my battles. I had capri baselayers from 686 but they were too low rise and I ended up with air up my back which really bothered me. I found REI's midweight which I LOVE except for the cuff is so snug it won't go up my calf to stay out of my boot but at least it's tight. I still am bunching up material above the boot though, that's what I get for being short.

I have these too (the REI midweight layers), and while I love them, the cuffs are definitely tight. I didn't think anything of tucking my base layer into my boot, until after 2 days of continuous skiing. I had developed incredibly painful welts along the cuffs, in a ring around both legs. The welts were filled with liquid (ew), and I still have the scars.

The day after that happened, I cut them & sewed them up. Haven't had a problem since. :smile:

haylmom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have my socks under my base and everything gets tucked in my boot. Its a very tight/snug fit though, no wrinkles or folds. Works well for me!

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My light-weight liners are capris, so they don't go into the boot. The mid- and heavy-weight liners I have chopped off and hemmed so they just come to the top of the boot. Well worth the time & effort!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga