• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you do with the bottoms of your base layers?

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, I fold the lower parts up near my knee to keep them out of my boots, kinda like a large foldover cuff.

I wear compression base layers for other activities, but I haven't for skiing since folding wouldn't work well and I don't want to cut off circulation by bunching them up. I've been looking to get a pair of 3/4 length compression base layer pants for skiing, but in the mean time I've been skipping compression on my legs.

I'm wondering what other divas do about the base layer/boot thing. Do you guys hem them, fold them, buy 3/4 length only, leave them in your boots?

I'd think that there would be more 3/4 length base layer pants for skiing than I see. The fact that there are so many base layers marketed specifically for skiing that are full length makes me wonder, is it common for people to ski with the base layers in their boots?

snowgirl

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not sure if this is the "right" way to do it but i ski with my thermal underwear/base layer over my socks tucked into the boot. It works fine for me but I think it all depends on the thickness of the material and your boot, etc.. I think 3/4 length pants would be easier tho I would definitely buy them if I found them.

Jilly

Staff member
Cut em off and surge them, just above the boot top. Have to do Hubby's too!

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At 5'2" and size 10 even the 3/4 or capri-style are too long and unlike Jilly I can't sew a da*& thing that doesn't sail a boat! So..I pull 'em up to my knees....

Hubby calls me the "princess and the pea" 'cause even if there's a dog hair in my boot I have to haul a*& back to the lodge take them off and clear everything out! So obviously another layer inside my boot would just suck:(

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the boot. Got to have a smooth fit, though, like leggings. Length above the ankle.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I wear some of them in my boot over my socks. I have others that I can pull up. I prefer not to have anything inside my boot (except foot, sock, and toe warmer when necessary), but I only have a few pairs of base layer that I can pull up.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I fold them up above my boot -- never leave them in! According to my bootfitter, that's a definite no-no, since it affects the overall fit of the boot. But hey, whatever works.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No base layers in my boots. I can't stand to have any thing else in my boots bseide thin socks and my feet!:wink:

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are the 3/4-length compression tights I have (the CW-X), and I love them. I could never ski with anything tucked into my boots--the boot tops are too snug on my leg to have anything else but my socks in the boots.

hungrybunnies

Diva in Training
I can't buckle the top buckle of my boots if I try to tuck anything in - so I fold up or pull up the bottoms of my base layer. Although those 3/4 length compression tights look really good.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sock only in boot and then I wear a capri length tight. I found that folding up stuff to above my boot cuff wound up cutting into my skin and cutting off circulation.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, this has been one of my battles. I had capri baselayers from 686 but they were too low rise and I ended up with air up my back which really bothered me. I found REI's midweight which I LOVE except for the cuff is so snug it won't go up my calf to stay out of my boot but at least it's tight. I still am bunching up material above the boot though, that's what I get for being short.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been putting my ski socks over them, so that they stay flat and don't move when putting my boot on.

But after reading this thread I think I might cut the bottoms of my Marmots and see how that works out. If it works, I'll cut the bottoms of the rest too.

We'll see.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been putting my ski socks over them, so that they stay flat and don't move when putting my boot on.

But after reading this thread I think I might cut the bottoms of my Marmots and see how that works out. If it works, I'll cut the bottoms of the rest too.

We'll see.
I do put mine in my socks so they don't move around.

I worry about cutting off and having them fray on me. Any thoughts on that (no, I don't have any sewing skills or friends/family with them).

NannyMin

Banned
I've always just folded them neatly. I've been considering buying the 3/4 length ones but it seems like such a waste to replace everything.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, this has been one of my battles. I had capri baselayers from 686 but they were too low rise and I ended up with air up my back which really bothered me. I found REI's midweight which I LOVE except for the cuff is so snug it won't go up my calf to stay out of my boot but at least it's tight. I still am bunching up material above the boot though, that's what I get for being short.

Robyn, do you otherwise like the pants?

If you can get a long top, you can solve the drafty issue!

Kano

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems that no matter what length the top the it still pulls out. I really like the bottoms of the new ones actually. Maybe I just need to take them in one of these days and have them hemmed. I don't know, since they aren't driving me crazy right now I think I'll wait to make up my mind.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga