• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What are you doing to prepare (physically) for ski season?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last night, after dinner and a big glass of wine, I suddenly got the impulse to start the couch25k program, which is a gradual plan intended to get you to running a 5k. The first step is eminently doable - only 1 minute of running at a time. Okay, it wasn't totally an impulse - I've been thinking about running for a while now with the shoulder injury, and on Monday my ortho doctor reiterated that cycling is still not a great idea for my shoulder. But anyway, I did it - while it was raining and with both dogs along. We all got soaked. I felt much better for the first exercise I've gotten since my shoulder injury a month and a half ago (that's a slight exaggeration - I've done one big hike and been walking the dogs, but that's really not enough). So let's see where this goes ... when I first did the couch25k several years ago, my knees would start aching - actually, it may have been a sharp pain - around 15 minutes of running. But I was also doing krav maga several times a week and climbing three times a week, so I may have just been all around doing an awful lot to my knees. Then again, I wasn't carrying around so much excess luggage ...

Anyway, I definitely am doing this in large part so that I don't go into ski season a complete lump. I want to be able to fully experience my ski days (and more particularly, multiple ski days in a row).

altagirl

Staff member
Good for you, Monique! I might be joining you on redoing the C25K soon. I haven't been running in months (go figure with all the time spent doing everything else), but want to get back to it.

It is one of the advantages of having a whole list of activities (even if you don't stay current with them). When you have injuries, there is bound to be SOMETHING you can still do that uses different body parts/muscles/etc. :smile:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good for you, Monique! I might be joining you on redoing the C25K soon. I haven't been running in months (go figure with all the time spent doing everything else), but want to get back to it.

It is one of the advantages of having a whole list of activities (even if you don't stay current with them). When you have injuries, there is bound to be SOMETHING you can still do that uses different body parts/muscles/etc. :smile:
You would think! I got my right foot and right arm within a couple weeks of each other - I can squat. And some things on the floor but not many. Hopefully get the arm cleared Thursday the foot isn't as serious but still can't do everything with it without pain suppose to keep it flat on the ground no jumping, running etc. Not being able to work out has been bad, but not being able to sleep is killing me.

Jilly

Staff member
Well my knee is still a week away from any real exercise. Physio did not let me go this week. And I really haven't been doing the "home work". We've been so busy at work, I just want to rest when I get home. So instead I'm up at 6:20am and on the bike for 15, then 15 minutes of stretches. Hopefully next week!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I historically haven't enjoyed running. But then I think about it and that's not *totally* true, because I loved indoor soccer (which is distinct from being any good at it - I could manage about one decent sprint every time I got off the bench, and then I was hobbling around for the rest of my shift). The tech seems much better these days - I can listen to spotify or pandora while a couch25k app runs and quiets the music for its instructions. Very cool. Much better than trying to hand-program my heart rate watch to match the weekly permutation and then carefully listen for beeps.

I am aching to do something with my upper body, but aside from my prescribed PT - rotator cuff exercises to improve my posture and make room in the joint so that the bursa isn't being compressed - it's limited. Interestingly, while cycling is off limits, my ortho doctor said I could go ahead and do deadlifts if I do them with good form.

@bounceswoosh That's so great. Keep it up. Have you signed up for a 5k yet, that's always been my best motivation.

I have been seriously also slacking in the running department. I used to do many 5ks and a couple 10ks but this past year I've been busy on yoga/pilates and haven't really been running much if at all. When I do run I follow the Jeff Galloway method of walking/running. I am a firm believer this works, at least for me and well Jeff Galloway for that matter too lol. When I Galloway it and take little walk breaks during a race I am refreshed and recharged when I run after that and have finished multiple 5ks with much better times then when I ran the whole thing. I know everyone is different but this works for me. I am going to check to see if one of the 10ks I used to like is still in November, thanks for inspiring me :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bounceswoosh That's so great. Keep it up. Have you signed up for a 5k yet, that's always been my best motivation.

"Yet"? Hah. No, I don't motivate that way. Pressure for an event makes it much more likely that I'll quit because "You can't tell me what to do!" Yes, even when the person telling me to do it is me. And especially when I have had knee issues in the past that kept me from running that far. I'm not going to set myself up for failure. I'm not running to run; I'm running because all the exercises I actually enjoy aren't available to me. In a few weeks, I'll be skiing ...

I get it. That totally motivates me but everyone has their thing that gets em going. It mainly gets me going because I am cheap and if I pay the money I don't want to totally suck wind lol.

Good luck. I know it must be difficult to not do the activities you enjoy the most. Keep up with your couch 2 5k plan, whatever motivates ya will get you through. At least you run outside so kudos for that. I am a treadmill princess. I don't actually enjoy running in a big way either, I mean I do a little bit and love the cardio and getting in groove with a good song. I love pilates mat and yoga so much more.

In a few weeks you'll be skiing and that's the best motivation there is :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get it. That totally motivates me but everyone has their thing that gets em going. It mainly gets me going because I am cheap and if I pay the money I don't want to totally suck wind lol.

Good luck. I know it must be difficult to not do the activities you enjoy the most. Keep up with your couch 2 5k plan, whatever motivates ya will get you through. At least you run outside so kudos for that. I am a treadmill princess. I don't actually enjoy running in a big way either, I mean I do a little bit and love the cardio and getting in groove with a good song. I love pilates mat and yoga so much more.

In a few weeks you'll be skiing and that's the best motivation there is :smile:

Funny. I'm the opposite - I don't think I'd run on a treadmill. To each their own, as you say. I didn't really mind the rain. Plus, the dogs always need more exercise than I give them, so any opportunity to mix my exercise with theirs is a big win! I just wish there were dirt trails near the house - I bet that would help my knees.

I keep thinking about climbing at the gym, which I am sure would actually be pretty painful. But for some reason, right now, that's what I'm craving. I have to redirect it into things I do get to do.

I run at an incline on the treadmill to best simulate outside some not completely screwed when race time comes around. That is why I need a dog so I can get outside and exercise more, I miss seeing sunrises too. One day. I love the rain and don't even carry an umbrella most of the time. I guess I just don' t like running enough to do it outside on a regular basis. I am lazy so having a dog has always been great for me because it forces me out of the house; dogs need exercise and so do I so win-win.

Isn't that always the way, the exercise you are craving is what you aren't allowed to do. Hopefully you can redirect it to something you get to do.

altagirl

Staff member
Funny. I'm the opposite - I don't think I'd run on a treadmill. To each their own, as you say. I didn't really mind the rain. Plus, the dogs always need more exercise than I give them, so any opportunity to mix my exercise with theirs is a big win! I just wish there were dirt trails near the house - I bet that would help my knees.

I keep thinking about climbing at the gym, which I am sure would actually be pretty painful. But for some reason, right now, that's what I'm craving. I have to redirect it into things I do get to do.

Same here - I almost prefer running in bad weather (rain/snow). The treadmill feels kind of like torture. And the dogs ALWAYS need more exercise.

alicie

Angel Diva
I'm actually going to start taking 5:30am masters swimming classes in about 10 days. One of my friends has been asking if I'd do a triathlon with her and I figured step one would be to swim and see if I have any technique left at all since I was a kid. I know years ago, swimming actually bothered my knees, so I haven't really tried swimming laps in... 8+ years. But heck, now even running feels pretty decent, so it stands to reason swimming would feel okay. I guess we will find out! And I'll also find out how a swimming workout translates to my other fitness pursuits. :smile:

My knee is why I've stopped breaststroke. Breaststroke is often quite dodgy on the knees, breaststrokers knee is a thing. Swimmings good as it works out pretty much everything.

I checked my check ins at the gym and were it not for yoga and pilates i was barely at the gym this sumner. Apparently treadmilling isnt top of my list either.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I checked my check ins at the gym and were it not for yoga and pilates i was barely at the gym this sumner. Apparently treadmilling isnt top of my list either.

I want to get back into yoga, while giving myself plenty of permission to back off because of my shoulder. I am sure there are some poses that are not an option right now. But I really want to go to a class that's taught by a teacher I know, and my schedule just hasn't worked that way recently - must make yoga more of a priority!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our season is just ending here in NZ but looking at how well prepared so many of you are getting got me feeling quite retrospectively guilty for my lack of ski specific training this year. Cycling and the very occasional swim is really about all I do at the moment but I've enrolled in a salsa dance class for something new and different.I just wish I could keep my ski fitness until Europe in Feb.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Umpff... Just started a 6-week ski mountaineering program using TNF's Mountain Athletics app. Today was Leg Lactate complexes and Core. Ouch. But that ain't gonna hurt as much as tomorrow's eccentric leg complex dubbed the "Quadzilla Complex." I had thought I was in pretty decent shape from trail running this summer... But apparently not. :bag:

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
C
Umpff... Just started a 6-week ski mountaineering program using TNF's Mountain Athletics app. Today was Leg Lactate complexes and Core. Ouch. But that ain't gonna hurt as much as tomorrow's eccentric leg complex dubbed the "Quadzilla Complex." I had thought I was in pretty decent shape from trail running this summer... But apparently not. :bag:
Cool app, thanks!

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Quadrilla complex yesterday....so. much. pain. I have to use the handrail and hold on for dear life to go down the stairs. I'm going down to the city tonight to see Jumbo Wild at Patagonia.... Using the subway is NOT going to be fun!!!!:bag:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I am 8 weeks into 6 weeks* of the recommended schedule of "Piyo" by Chalene Johnson (Beachbody.com) It is hands down one of the best total body workouts I have ever done; and I never have to leave my living room. We need no equipment other than carpeting/yoga mat as well. My daughter and I started it because we needed to get in shape for ski season since I don't want to waste all that money going to Big Sky and not be able to ski every day. I did not expect the rapid onset of non-scale victories. I took before pics and there is a visible difference. I'm down 3 inches in my waist but gained 3lbs. (muscle?) My daughter is down 7lbs and 2 inches since starting the Piyo. All of our clothing is getting big. It's a combination of Pilates and Yoga. I'm drinking the koolaid, not going to lie because I am seeing results. I can't wait to see how it affects our skiing.

*(we need more rest days in between work outs because we are so sore)

altagirl

Staff member
I started my master's swimming program yesterday. I was worked, but no serious soreness (yet). And it... while definitely more on the workout end of the spectrum than fun, felt productive. The coach had me do a lot of drills where I could see how they were helping.

I'm planning on 2x/week of swimming, 2x/week ballet, 2x/week CardioBarre, 1x/week bellydance, and 2+x/week yoga. (Which is somewhat ridiculous, but I'm having too much fun to cut things out... tonight I have back to back ballet and bellydance. Yesterday was swimming and yoga. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna