• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What are you doing to prepare (physically) for ski season?

LCskis

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas!

Hope everyone's getting as excited as I am about the upcoming season! I'm really just getting into the sport, as this will be the second season that finds me on the mountain more than 2-3 times a winter. I'm wondering if anyone has any great workout tips to get into top shape before the snow falls. I'm a former ballet dancer (though its been a few years:noidea:), so my "go-to" moves tend to bring me back to the barre, but I feel like I need to build up my legs and core a bit. I definitely don't have the kind of build that allows me to pack on the muscle easily - I'll probably always been a lightweight. That being said, I'd like to do everything I can to get myself as strong as possible! What do you all do to prep? Any tips/secrets/resources would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am continuing with the functional fitness that I've been doing for a couple of years now. Nick, our trainer, turns the focus to ski prep in the fall.

In addition, I drug out my bike trainer and set it up, been riding 3x a week. My incentive here was that I've been too sedentary this summer, not riding at all ( outside or in) and am feeling "the creep" and dicided to up my activity level to nip it in the bud before I find out the hard way my ski pants don't fit.

Some of the great things we do for ski conditioning in my class: core, plyometrics, balance and strength; circuits and more. We will do circuits using the quad mill
https://www.quadmill.com/ which, if you do the quad mill right is just killer.
Other things we might do
one leg squats, clock lunges, lateral bounding, walking lunges w/med balls or kettles, balancing... it changes all the time but it has been great.

sidebar, I was on the quadmill site and found a quote from the owner of the place I work out
"The Quadmill has been great for us in all three aspects of the business – PT, sports training, and personal training. Next week we finish our 4-month of ski/snowboarding training and the hit of the class is the Quadmill. I have a 65-year-old female, 58 year old guy, 48-year-old guy and younger people going 4 minutes. Staff record to this point is 5 minutes. As far as PT, I use it with most of my lower extremity patients. Low level or acute injuries, I always show them the Quadmill on the first visit as a form of motivation. Knee patients, patellofemoral, post-op scopes, ACL’s, all enjoy the Quadmill and do not report any pain. That’s the nice part. Less pain, incredible quad workout. Can’t find that anywhere else.”

by: Brian Cronin - Udistrict Physical Therapy, Spokane, WA

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Plyos in the pool. I like one-legged squats and explosive squat jumps. I do a lot of "imaginary" volkswagon-sized moguls in the pool. The shallower the water, the harder the workout. I've also been doing balance exercises: One leg on a balance ball and the other tapping at each "hour" of the clock. I'm recovering from an abdominal surgery, so I've been hitting the PT pretty hard to get my core back in shape.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Quadmill

Some of the great things we do for ski conditioning in my class: core, plyometrics, balance and strength; circuits and more. We will do circuits using the quad mill
https://www.quadmill.com/ which, if you do the quad mill right is just killer.
Other things we might do
one leg squats, clock lunges, lateral bounding, walking lunges w/med balls or kettles, balancing... it changes all the time but it has been great.

I've never seen one of these before. It looks interesting. I'll have to see if any of my local gyms have one.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been dragon boat racing all summer. It's a great core builder, plus an all over work out. You would be surprised at the muscles you use!

October we're done, so it's off to the Y.

AliceH

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span>
I had Hyalgan injections over the summer for my knees. The thing that's been holding me back physically from being a confident skier (well, this and the extra weight - but more about that in a minute) was that sometimes it was just excruciating to bend my knees. My osteo set me up for a 6-week round of PT at the same time as the injections, so I've been continuing the exercise routine they set me up on, which consists of:

______
clams, set of 20 - to increase the intensity, raise feet up in the air while doing the clams
side leg lifts, set of 20
side leg lift but instead of doing repeated lifts, move the leg in a circle at the top of the lift - 15-20 circles (if this one's not working your hip, you may need to roll forward or backward)

roll to back, then:

bridges, set of 20 - to increase the intensity, put feet on a chair. To make it even worse, put feet on a medicine ball.
leg lifts, set of 20 - toe pointed out at a 45 degree angle, the leg opposite of what was on top before

roll to other side, repeat. Do three rounds of this.

Then...

Standing-up leg lifts in all four directions with weights strapped on
Balance exercise similar to the standing leg lifts, but no weight and hold the leg in each direction for a count of 10

Stand on a circular balance board until calves start feeling fatigued/bored with it

Wrap an exercise band around something solid (I use one of my treadmill arms) and pull it back and forth while standing on the balance board

Stand on the exercise band, cross it in front, and do side steps while holding the straps of the exercise band tight enough to provide some good resistance

Walk one foot in front of the other while looking around the room (don't look straight ahead)

One-legged squats using an exercise ball against the wall

Lunges
_____

I know this seems like a lot, but it only takes about 15-20 minutes even if I'm being lazy. My PTs decided part of my problem was in my hips, so these are designed to strengthen both hips and knees. I just have to make sure I do these before I hit the treadmill, or I poop out before I get to the end.

And just in case someone in the north Denver area is looking for a great PT, I can't recommend mine enough - both Allison and Samantha at A. Fox Physical Therapy are fantastic.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been hitting the gym four times a week; static bike, cross-trainer, hill-climbing on the treadmill, stepper and rower.

From the end of this month I'll start doing additional ski exercises - squats while holding weights, lunges, and various different sit ups using the exercise ball.

I want to be FIT this season!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I finally got myself to get up early and workout before starting my day (this is the only way it'll get done).. Hopefully now that I have started, and feel very motivated, I'll be able to keep it up. I'm planning on doing cardio 3 times per week, and BOSU in between to break it up.. Whatever I do I assume will be a major improvement over doing nothing in the past. Last year was the first time where my legs were really angry at not being in shape to start the season and I do NOT want to go through that again! :fear:

abc

Banned
I can't get motivated to work out (should that be work "in"?) indoors when it's nice and warm outside!

So I do my best to tailor my outdoor activity to work different part of my body. Biking (lower body) and kayaking (upper) is what I ended up with. ;-)

Once the sun disappear below the horizon and temperature dips below freezing, I feel a lot better to stay inside (when not skiing, that is). So I get more systematic work "out" in the winter instead. As far as fitness goes, I usually come into ski season at the peak of my fitness, gained during the summer of long distance cycling and kayaking. No problem till next spring...

I guess as Ski Diva once termed it, I'm a biking diva masquerading as a ski diva...

LCskis

Certified Ski Diva
I love the variety! I enjoy my ballet bar workouts (they're second nature and sort of relaxing) but I definitely need to kick it up a notch. Hoping to do some hiking this fall and maybe even get some time in at a pool somewhere. Also, am I the only one who isn't sure what a dragon boat is? They sound exciting....

Jilly

Staff member
dragon boat

June2008006.jpg

20 people, 1 drummer, 1 steer all in a 40' canoe!

Great overall work out! Especially core.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
summer is all about playing

I bike to work, run when I don't bike to work, hike in the mountains alot, swim in the lake, stand up paddle board, mtn. bike, and lead backpacking trips for HS students, sign up for triathlons and 5ks. That is just the summer.

It is late fall when I move indoors and start strength training. Shorter days make it hard to play outside so much.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I finally got myself to get up early and workout before starting my day (this is the only way it'll get done).. Hopefully now that I have started, and feel very motivated, I'll be able to keep it up. I'm planning on doing cardio 3 times per week, and BOSU in between to break it up.. Whatever I do I assume will be a major improvement over doing nothing in the past. Last year was the first time where my legs were really angry at not being in shape to start the season and I do NOT want to go through that again! :fear:

I used my BOSU today for the first time, with a ski specific video workout to follow along. It was great, but wow did it kick my butt! Guess that's the point though haha.. I could totally feel my "ski" muscles during certain parts of it and was thinking how much happier I'll be on the mountain when they are hopefully not burning so bad as they are during the workout now! :thumbsup:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used my BOSU today for the first time, with a ski specific video workout to follow along. It was great, but wow did it kick my butt! Guess that's the point though haha.. I could totally feel my "ski" muscles during certain parts of it and was thinking how much happier I'll be on the mountain when they are hopefully not burning so bad as they are during the workout now! :thumbsup:

Missy, could you please share which video you got? This would be a fantastic core workout and BOSU's aren't terribly expensive.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Missy, could you please share which video you got? This would be a fantastic core workout and BOSU's aren't terribly expensive.

gardenmary, I use Bosu Sports Conditioning Series Skiing & Snowboarding DVD with Douglas Brooks which I bought on Amazon where I also got my BOSU. It's nice because they show you moves and then also how to increase the difficulty as you get better at them. My husband also used it for the first time this morning and was impressed as well (I was a little worried that I was just really out of shape and he'd have no problem with the workout since he's much larger and more muscular than myself, but that wasn't the case, he got a good workout as well). :smile:

This was my cheaper alternative to the Skier's edge machine that's crazy expensive which I originally wanted to use in the off season! :clap:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
gardenmary, I use Bosu Sports Conditioning Series Skiing & Snowboarding DVD with Douglas Brooks which I bought on Amazon where I also got my BOSU. It's nice because they show you moves and then also how to increase the difficulty as you get better at them. My husband also used it for the first time this morning and was impressed as well (I was a little worried that I was just really out of shape and he'd have no problem with the workout since he's much larger and more muscular than myself, but that wasn't the case, he got a good workout as well). :smile:

This was my cheaper alternative to the Skier's edge machine that's crazy expensive which I originally wanted to use in the off season! :clap:

Thanks Missy! I will definitely check it out. I'd love a Skier's Edge too but good heavens that thing costs more than my first 2 cars! And we really have nowhere to put ANOTHER piece of equipment, lol.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm having a heck of a time getting myself to do any kind of working out, so I'm taking stairs. Only eight or so weeks, and I'm soft as a down pillow. :noidea:

I'm moving in six weeks, though, so at least I'll have some muscle by the time I'm done.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GREAT tip for alternative to Skier's Edge machine. I have to check that out. Here's a poem to get those hips working:

Oh gluteus maximus, and medius too,
I don’t thank you enough for all that you do
You help me extend when I want to wind up
and give someone else a swift kick in the butt
You stand behind me wherever I go
and make my cheeks move to and fro
You push me uphill and support me down
You assist my hip when it circles around
You propel me forward and give me speed
You help me hover when I need to pee
Oh gluteus muscles, let me give you your due . . .

from here:
https://wishfit.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/ode-to-the-glutes/

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running running and more running. Goal half marathon in less than 2 weeks. I've done one other this summer.

November starts plyometrics along with more running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna