• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I Just finished Naomi Novak’s book “Deadly Education” as an audio book. It’s not a genre that I usually appreciate, but DH introduced me to this book and I really liked the chemistry between the characters. I’ve started the sequel, “The Last Graduate”, which promises more of the same.
I read her 'His Majesty's Dragon' series for a bit and really enjoyed it for the first few books at least. It helped that I was currently reading Count of Monte Cristo and also the Master and Commander series so was really immersed in Napoleonic era literature, so the take of 'what if Napoleon had dragons' was particularly interesting. The series meanders a bit after the first few so I dropped it, but I've been meaning to pick up the Deadly Education books as I've heard they're executed better than her earlier series. I've also heard good things about her fairy-tale books- Spinning Silver I think is one of them?

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Kimmyt - the author is new to me, so I’m not much help on her other books.

I typically don’t read much sci-if/fantasy. That said, there are a few things that I have really enjoyed.

Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Red Mars”, “Blue Mars”, “Green Mars” on audio - listening to it prevented me from doing what I tend to do in sci-fi which is skip past the long technical descriptions to the dialogue. Bad habit, I know. But there is no option to do that on audio, and listening to the entire series was really enjoyable. I think I’ve been through it three times now.

Nathan Lowell’s series of “Golden Age of the Solar Clipper” books (there are many) and the other couple of series that take place in the same universe with ancll characters are very enjoyable. The original series appeal to me because it was a little bit like “Little House on the Prairie…In Space”. Again, I’ve listened to all of these on audiobooks. He’s a prolific author and very engaged with his user base, if that sort of thing appeals to you.

Christy

Angel Diva
This may not be interesting to anyone outside the PNW, unless you love skiing history, but there is a great new book on PNW skiing history. I am really enjoying it so far! I've only read a bit but thought it was interesting that all the Norwegians and Swedes that immigrated here in the late 19th/early 20th century were sad and frustrated because they could see the snowy mountains but there was not an easy way to get there in winter, so they could ski. Then once train service to Snoqualmie Pass started, they taught everyone else how to ski.

1640983648528.png

newboots

Angel Diva
It does sound like an interesting book, though!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
If you want a charming, pleasant, lovely read, I recommend "Three Women and a Boat" (forget author).

My daughter read this as well over the holiday and we're both ready to head to England for a canal trip.

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Just finished Heather Hansman’s Powder Days. Really enjoyed it and was fun to also read skidiva’s interview w/author. It was quite bittersweet and full of nostalgia, as well as some of the darkness of the ski bum life. I was def reliving my ski bum days and feeling some of that same nostalgia. As well as feeling old lol. Thought provoking on lots of levels/topics

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Just finished Heather Hansman’s Powder Days. Really enjoyed it and was fun to also read skidiva’s interview w/author. It was quite bittersweet and full of nostalgia, as well as some of the darkness of the ski bum life. I was def reliving my ski bum days and feeling some of that same nostalgia. As well as feeling old lol. Thought provoking on lots of levels/topics
Thanks for the tip -- sounds like fun. Will check this out!

Christy

Angel Diva
Wow, how have I not heard about this? Placed a hold at the library--I'm now 41st in line.

Christy

Angel Diva
Lindsey Vonn's new memoir is a real page turner. She definitely wrote it herself--no ghostwriter here--and it's not going to go down as a classic in the genre. BUT if you are a fan of her or the sport, it's genuinely interesting (IMO). And it's a candid account of what it means to grow up as an athlete that leaves school and normal life for her sport. Plus there are fun anecdotes like that she was jealous of Julia Mancuso's boobs when they were 12 so she stuffed her bra with paper but then went into the hot tub where it all floated out in front of her peers. :tongue:

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Just finished We Hereby Refuse: Japanese American Resistance to Wartime Incarceration. Such a great book and unique graphic novel format really made the stories pop along w/the artwork. Collaboration of artists. Was hard to read at times due to the injustice and blatant racism but real life. Was also a bit disjointed in the competing storylines but def increased my knowledge and understanding of the time and event. Would recommend!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My genre of choice is usually fantasy, however I always give my grandfather some books for Christmas/birthday and his genre of choice is non-fiction (at 97 years old, there aren't many/any material things he wants, but he still appreciates a great book). Some excellent nonfiction reads that we've both loved recently have been: The Lost City of the Monkey God, The Feather Thief, and Hidden Valley Road.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Just finished We Hereby Refuse: Japanese American Resistance to Wartime Incarceration. Such a great book and unique graphic novel format really made the stories pop along w/the artwork. Collaboration of artists. Was hard to read at times due to the injustice and blatant racism but real life. Was also a bit disjointed in the competing storylines but def increased my knowledge and understanding of the time and event. Would recommend!
Is this the one by George Takei?

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
No; authors are Frank Abe and Tamiko Nimura and illustrators are Ross Ishikawa and Matt Sasaki. All contributors local to Seattle area. Book commissioned by Wing Luke Museum and aided by grant from US Dept of the Interior.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna