• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What age for poles?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DS is 7 and turning into a pretty good skier. He tackled black runs (mostly just steeper groomers) and some easy bumps last year. When does he need poles? We have to go back to SkiRex (huge ski sale here in CO) next week to pick up his new boots/skis, so I can pick some up for pretty cheap if he needs them. My concern is that I don't want to introduce something that he becomes dependent on if he doesn't actually "need" them yet...but there were definitely a few times last year when they would have been useful (like powder days where he would get stuck and couldn't get himself going again).

Thoughts?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Based on my experience as a mom, go ahead and get cheap poles. He doesn't have to be using them for turning until his instructors but he's old enough that they won't be a distraction (or a toy). Seems like I got poles when DD was six, but she didn't keep them in lessons until a season or two later. Of course, we don't have any western level black runs in the southeast. Definitely made it much easier on flats and loading the lifts.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, does he want poles? It's probably time to introduce them. Ask Katy.

I do have to laugh, I remember him with poles. It was not pretty, but they were kind of big!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
We've got a 7 and 9 year old who are doing black groomers as well, and skiing mostly parallel. At the end of last season, we got some cheap poles and just had them do a few runs with them to get a feel for holding them. They got really excited and want to learn how to use them properly, so we decided that we're going to put them in a few lessons this upcoming season. They are doing hard blues and easy blacks now and haven't had any lessons for a few years so we decided it was time for a lesson anyway. I think taking a lesson that includes how to use poles is definitely the way to go though...

mustski

Angel Diva
DS pretty much just "carried" his poles the first season skiing that he had them. The second year though he started using them. When he was little, we always skied with him following one of us, while the other one brought up the rear. That allowed him to watch one parent from above and then, wait at the bottom, to watch the other parent from below. The two viewpoints really improved his skiing and that def included pole usage.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We'll be doing at least four lessons this year, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up some cheap ones for him and not let him use them until his first lesson (if the instructor thinks he should). He does want them, and I think I can get some for $20 or so...

RuthB

Angel Diva
We'll be doing at least four lessons this year, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up some cheap ones for him and not let him use them until his first lesson (if the instructor thinks he should). He does want them, and I think I can get some for $20 or so...

This is what we did - got them when he was 7 (birthday is September) based on a request from his ski instructor (would have been level 5 at Snowmass

alyeb

Diva in Training
Maybe consider purchasing something like this?

https://www.evo.com/ski-poles/k2-sp...tm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=shoppingengine

We don't have these poles exactly, but my kids have adjustable poles that will grow with them for at least a few years. They were 5 or 6 when first introduced to poles. We bought them when their instructors at Okemo said we should. I think for the first few days, the biggest lesson was getting on and off the chairlift while carrying poles. It didn't take long for them to start using them appropriately.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I've been teaching kids for a long time, and I think most people wait too long to give kids poles. Once they're pretty consistently parallel on green/easy blue terrain, they need poles to time their edge change. If he wants them, give them to him. It will certainly help him propel on flats and into lift lines. Pole touches are tough to learn and don't expect him to get it right for a few years, even with consistent practice.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been teaching kids for a long time, and I think most people wait too long to give kids poles. Once they're pretty consistently parallel on green/easy blue terrain, they need poles to time their edge change. If he wants them, give them to him. It will certainly help him propel on flats and into lift lines. Pole touches are tough to learn and don't expect him to get it right for a few years, even with consistent practice.

FWIW, I started with poles, at age 4. Never skied without them. That's probably unnecessary in this enlightened era, and that was a really long time ago, but I don't think it ruined my development...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. My daughter is 6 and has skied since she was 3, though not consistently, and she is technically quite skilled, but suffers from severe "chickenitis" like I do. So she parallels fine if she's in a lesson AND is reminded to, and will go down blues in a lesson, but will do neither of the two with me or my husband. She has been asking for poles for this coming season so it's easier for her to navigate the lift line, etc. Not sure what to do!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Poles, purchased! $19.99 at skirex (not counting the $20 off $100 or more purchase coupon I had)...

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. My daughter is 6 and has skied since she was 3, though not consistently, and she is technically quite skilled, but suffers from severe "chickenitis" like I do. So she parallels fine if she's in a lesson AND is reminded to, and will go down blues in a lesson, but will do neither of the two with me or my husband. She has been asking for poles for this coming season so it's easier for her to navigate the lift line, etc. Not sure what to do!

I'd get poles. Maybe something else to focus on would help ...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might be right. It can't hurt! I might not let her know we bought them until I get approval from an instructor because I'd hate to put her in a lesson and then have them not want her to have the poles.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I might not let her know we bought them until I get approval from an instructor because I'd hate to put her in a lesson and then have them not want her to have the poles.
Be prepared for the instructor to say, "No." Ski schools often have blanket rules about poles for kids in the programs in the youngest age group programs. IMHO, I think they are ridiculous. People will talk in terms of "developmental ability to use hands and feet at the same time" and "small motor skills." Blah, Blah. They really are trying to keep things "easier" on the coach. Each kid is different and blanket rules related to sport skill development are insane.

Now, I will get off my soap box.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Agree with above, from a been-there perspective. DS started whining for poles at 5, adamant at 6, we still resisted. Caved when he had just turned 7, never looked back. In retrospect, should have just relented when he was 6.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When my DD wanted poles at age 5 or 6, we went to the ski shop at Mnut to see if they had poles short enough. I knew in advance they didn't. When the shortest one for rent was obviously too long, that meant I didn't hear whining about the idea for the rest of the season. :wink:

I found poles for her at the ski swap we went to the next season. She still didn't use them for lessons, but did when skiing with me. Worked out fine.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the replies, ladies! This is good advice! I think we will go ahead and get her some. It's not like they'll be hard for us to carry if we have to and if they help her out, then great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna