• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Tierra

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
Just got home from Midnight Madness at Crotched Mountain, so a little quickie:

:love:
It took a few turns, but I'm definitely in love! On my first run down I managed to cross my tips a little and take spill. It's definitely a challenge getting used to these coming off my Olins that are narrower in every way. But boy, once I did! I didn't get a lot of messy snow play since the "glades" (trails with a couple trees in them) were not well lit. However, I did get to rip down the groomers and pop a few side of the trail jumps. Yep, these are quite stiff, but not bothersome to me. I was ripping turns like I never have before. I truly felt like I jumped up a level of skiing in these, carving like nobody's business. Again, no sloppy bumps to try out or anything, but I'm sure I'll be just as happy.
:yahoo: :D:D

off to bed!

That's so exciting to hear! There must of been a grin on your face a yard wide:smile: I can imagine the stress level in your anticipation of the test ride and bet you feel more relaxed now. I know mine has plummeted just hearing about your experience and I don't even know how you ski in comparison to me or what you really like in performance. I know everyone is different but it sounds like we look for a similar ride. I'll be sure to keep you posted on my first ski on that Tierra, hopefully soon! For tomorrow, I've picked up a demo, Rossingnol, Zenith, Z5. Should be an interesting comparison.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So a little bit more thorough thoughts on my first Tierra ski day!

Where: Crotched Mountain, NH
Conditions: mostly packed powder, some areas harder packed than others, some crud that wasn't really well enough lit that I wanted to venture onto it.

Skied for about 2 1/2 hours straight, didn't really push things too much because there were 3 of us, one of whom was trying snowboarding for the first time. It was mostly skiing down a little ways, stopping and waiting for a bit. These are the widest thing I've skied, and WAY wider than my Olins, which were the most recent thing I was on. That took a few minutes to get used to. I started out tentative, and I'll say that they certainly do not reward that :laugh:. I crossed tips, went wobbly, fell down then sprayed myself in the face with snow for about 10 yards. By the second run, I was in love. They weigh about the same as my Olins, so I'm used to that, but they are a bit stiffer. I like the stiffness, but it will take some getting used to for sure. As others have said, you have to get on top of these skis, but I did not have trouble once I got the hang of them an they rewarded me beautifully. I have never carved turns like this before. Unfortunately (don't say that too often in New England!) there wasn't much ice, so I didn't totally get to test that, but holy crap do those edges grip! I've never felt so comfortable at high speeds skiing before. On the Olins I get paranoid, but I felt myself thinking "wow, I'm going really fast and I don't feel nervous!". It was not love at first turn, but the skis I loved at first turn (Atomic Cloud 9), I ended up hating! It was, however, love at first ski day! :love:

I cannot wait to ski on these babies again...I have a grin on my face just thinking about it! Is it weekend again yet?

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you do get the oppourtunity (misfortune?) to ski on our lovely New England Ice you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE these skis. Well as much as it is possible to love anything related to Ice skiing in New England!:p They grip an edge like nothing else (well besides other Volkls! ) and you won't have the vibration from them trying to get edge that you've probably had with other skis. They definitely like you to "ski" them - no tentative skiing! Oh and here's another thing for you to look for with them - since you're similarly sized to me - if you get a chance to have them in any "powder" you will probably find that you can almost float them. They are almost wide enough (ie enough surface area) for that!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ohhh.... i'm so confused!!
I've demoed the tierra's 2 days now and am still not convinced. I should love them going by everything everyone says, but i found them such hard work and didn't enjoy myself but i can't understand why. I do love Volkls for their technology, reputation and everything else, and really want a pair, but can't figure which ones. The tierra should suit me but it doesn't!

Has anyone skiied on the Sol's before? i just need something slightly softer and a bit lighter, but still with that stable feeling you're talking about.

I also took out a pair of Atomic Seventh Heaven's and had a great time on them, but can't find any review or graph or anything that directly compares the 2... or even mentions them in the same league - which i'm pretty sure they are.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on how to decide :smile: - i'm too broke to be doing the complusive thing about this one! i really need to make the right decision - i guess if the right deal came up i would just go for it like you guys have... but have been scared off by my demo experience with the tierra's - thought i would love them but didn't.

any others i should consider? i want a good all-round ski that can handle anything so i get my money's worth - am 5'6", 60kg, advanced skier but not too aggressive, except on a nice wide groomer. just like to cruise around and have fun, but hold an edge and work my skis.

A.
A, don't feel bad, there are many skis manufactured because there are many skier types and passions. If this ski doesn't inspire you, there will be one that will.
As others have mentioned, Volkl, Blizzard, Dynatar, Fischer,.........many more, make great skis in that category that you may sing about!!!
Go demo and have fun!

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
Well, I tried the Rossingnol, Zenith, Z5 last weekend so that I would have another different ski to compare before I get my Volkl Tierras. The first day was spent on Timberline & it was snowing most of the day. The Zenith would glide down the hill effortlessly and with a bit of a nudge, it would turn very easily. It has torsional stability and I could fly at speed, but still had a forgiving feel when I had to tip-toe through a kid zone. It was a nice, pleasant ride, but later in day when I was on the upper mile and the groomed run had now turned to bumps and chunks (it was icy under the fresh), I was getting bounced around. Next day, up at Meadows, a much different situation. Now it is clear, blue sky but very cold, 8-12F. Most of that fresh had been blown off the face and the busy, crowded runs. The borders were having a heck of a time, so was I when these Zenith's would not carve through the ice at all. So I went back to some runs with the fresh squeaky snow & they handled beautifully. A good all-round ski, but not for icy conditions. I am confident that the Tierra will do much better! I can hardly wait! :drool:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also took out a pair of Atomic Seventh Heaven's and had a great time on them,
If you loved the Atomics, why are you so set on getting Volkls? :noidea: You know I hate to say it, but they tend to be demanding and speed-seeking, so are not everyone's cup of tea.
but can't find any review or graph or anything that directly compares the 2... or even mentions them in the same league - which i'm pretty sure they are.
So????? You tried 'em, you liked 'em, why not buy 'em??? :confused:

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
Volkl Attiva Tierra - Love Them!!!

I finally got my Tierra skis I tried them out this weekend. Oh, and what a variety of conditions I put them through! (My DH was wondering "where are you going, dear, through these trees ?") I'm not usually so bold to go venture where don't know where I'm going, really! I don't know what I was fretting over. These skis rock! Ok, I know that many Diva gals will say that the Fuegos are thier choice (for more front side) for Volkls, but what I had read these reviewed as more of an all mountain ski, The Tierra for me sounded like they would be a better choice. I was hesitant that some reviewers said that they felt the skis seemed a bit damp or stiff and couldn't pop out of a jump, oh... yes they do! Not big, but at least, for me, they do! Maybe not with the ease as a softer ski but the few small jumps I took, they sure helped me land with unsurpassed stability! These skis are the perfect fit for me. I am only 5'2", 115 but I love how they carved the blues, black diamonds, icy hills, plowed through the powder (didn't need to always put my weight back to float because I had turnability I could do whatever throughout the mountain!) I never felt that I needed to be aware of my turns, I could cruise idol through a beginner trail if I wanted, never caught an edge, they behaved, and they responded. Later in the day we were caught in a white-out and guided down the hill with trail markers. The Tierras took short, slow turns through the whole mile of markers, with no problem! It was a great test. I was tired at the beginning of the day, but they made me feel so good, I had tons of energy the rest of the day. Didn't feel worn out at all! (I am not young, nor am I any great athlete). For someone who wants to carve or cruise, plow through the crud, float or tackle that powder run, feel secure on ice, Volkl Attiva Tierra skis did it it with incredible ease. For advanced skiers? Oh, :yahoo:, they will help anyone become an advanced skier if you are an intermediate. I love to turn and want to carve well, I found that this ski works great for me:smile: But, as we know from this forum, everyone is unique in their needs!

I don't know how the Fuego would compare on those bump hills. Now, as far as a flexible bump ski, these Tierras got me down those mogul hills, maybe not as gracefully (as some light-weight skis have) because they are a bit stiffer, but for the stability, speed & carve-ability they offer, they certainly will give you the confidence that you could tackle anything, and you will!:fencing:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga