• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont travel restrictions

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
@nopoleskier, you definitely have a point about getting people more educated on what to do in a pandemic. In Vermont, at least, I've seen a lot of this. We are told all the time about how important it is to wear masks, wash your hands, and stay socially distant. So yes, a good point. But for the unbelievers out there, I think the death tolls and stats are a good way of driving home how important it is to take precautions. As you know, not everyone takes them seriously. Some seem to think that unless they or someone they know or love gets the virus, it doesn't exist or isn't particularly serious. To me, the stats drive home how important it is to do the right thing.

And yeah, having selective lockdowns has been a real contentious issue, even here in Vermont. The Northeast Kingdom, for example, had very few cases in the pandemic's early days and really didn't see the need to go along with the initial lockdown. Now, of course, things are ticking up, as they are everywhere, so I think they're more on board.

As for the rest of what you've said, it just illustrates how differently many of us see the best way to approach the disease. This is uncharted territory, and we're all just trying to find our way as best as we can. It's certain that there will be -- and have been -- a lot of missteps. Let's hope we can learn from this for the future. Because yes, it will happen again.

But back to Vermont travel restrictions........

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I’m kind of surprised they’d actually install these.. MA just has it everywhere on the electronic signs that you use for any message. At least then you can use it for other things afterward.

We've had the electronic signs for a long time. Somehow, though, these seem more permanent.....

MissySki

Angel Diva
Or more, “pay attention”!! than the electronic ones which are temporary. Meaning Vt is serious and not letting up until its safer?! And they can take them down, repaint and recycle them elsewhere when needed.

I took it as a waste of time and resources versus using the electronic signs personally. Whatever they think is necessary though I guess. :noidea: Do others pay more or less attention to a sign that's electronic versus permanent? Still the same message to read.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Now that Maine is requiring residents of all states except for VT and NH to test negative within 72 hours of arrival, quarantine for 14 days upon arrival, or quarantine until a test upon arrival is negative, this has me super nervous about working at the resort. I realize there are no guarantees that the local people I'll work with will be Covid free, but do I need to expose myself to enhanced risk? And, can I trust my employer to keep me safe and enforce the rules? All such difficult questions.
QFT.
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-questions-answers/
What does asymptomatic mean?
Asymptomatic describes a person who is infected but does not have symptoms. With Covid-19, asymptomatic carriers can still easily infect others without knowing it. So if you’re infected but don’t feel sick, you could still get others very sick.
Some medical professionals differentiate between truly asymptomatic carriers – those who don’t currently have and will never have symptoms – from “pre-symptomatic” carriers – those who don’t have symptoms now, but will get them later. But the general public often uses the term “asymptomatic” to describe both categories of infected people.
Regardless of which term you use, researchers have found that about half of coronavirus transmissions happen between people who don’t have any symptoms. And in some cases, people are more contagious before they start showing symptoms.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took it as a waste of time and resources versus using the electronic signs personally. Whatever they think is necessary though I guess. :noidea: Do others pay more or less attention to a sign that's electronic versus permanent? Still the same message to read.

I cross back and forth between VT and NH for work every day and I think that the metal signs are definitely more eye-catching than the portable ones. There's something about the new ones that seem to demand attention and convey alarm on a different level. I wish I knew enough about visual design to be able to articulate why.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fwiw, there's scuttlebutt around here that a new round of closures is going to be announced sometime around the Monday after Thanksgiving.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Fwiw, there's scuttlebutt around here that a new round of closures is going to be announced sometime around the Monday after Thanksgiving.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of states did this to try and get through the couple of weeks after the holiday. RI has already announced a “pause” for the two weeks after. Places like gyms have to close and stores will be lower capacity etc.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
There's something about the new ones that seem to demand attention and convey alarm on a different level. I wish I knew enough about visual design to be able to articulate why.

Are they on both sides of the highway? It looks like they're at least on the left in the picture @ski diva posted.

Most signs only go on one side, and that side is usually the right—one counter example are "do not enter" and "wrong way" signs on highways, which obviously demand attention, and are also red.

It could be the sign designers deliberately chose to use a layout and color that would subconsciously trigger the same reaction you would have if rapidly approaching a pair of "wrong way" signs: pay attention, you need to do something important and fast.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you who have an IKON pass may have received this yesterday: an email from IKON requiring that pass holders who plan to ski at their Vermont resorts fill out a form attesting they'll abide to the state's travel restrictions. Here's a copy:

Dear Ikon Pass Holder,

Please be aware that due to recent State of Vermont regulations, action is required to access Ikon Pass destinations in Vermont for the 20/21 season. The State of Vermont is requiring that Ikon Pass holders attest to compliance with all current travel guidelines before they ski or snowboard in Vermont this winter.

In order to ski or snowboard at Sugarbush or Stratton, please complete your Season Pass Attestation using the link below. The activation of your pass at Sugarbush or Stratton may take up to 48 hours from completion of the form.

Instructions for completing the form:
Each person age 18 and older must complete and submit the form. One adult in the household may fill out the form for themselves and anyone in the household under the age of 18.

SEASON PASS ATTESTATION
In order to ski or snowboard at Killington you must make a parking reservation using the Killington parking reservation link below.

KILLINGTON PARKING RESERVATION
Please be aware, you are attesting to your ongoing compliance and we ask that you please check the most current guidelines before each visit to Vermont.

We look forward to seeing you soon, and appreciate your support and cooperation with these protocols, developed to help keep us all healthy and our ski and snowboard season long.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Those of you who have an IKON pass may have received this yesterday: an email from IKON requiring that pass holders who plan to ski at their Vermont resorts fill out a form attesting they'll abide to the state's travel restrictions. Here's a copy:

Dear Ikon Pass Holder,

Please be aware that due to recent State of Vermont regulations, action is required to access Ikon Pass destinations in Vermont for the 20/21 season. The State of Vermont is requiring that Ikon Pass holders attest to compliance with all current travel guidelines before they ski or snowboard in Vermont this winter.

In order to ski or snowboard at Sugarbush or Stratton, please complete your Season Pass Attestation using the link below. The activation of your pass at Sugarbush or Stratton may take up to 48 hours from completion of the form.

Instructions for completing the form:
Each person age 18 and older must complete and submit the form. One adult in the household may fill out the form for themselves and anyone in the household under the age of 18.

SEASON PASS ATTESTATION
In order to ski or snowboard at Killington you must make a parking reservation using the Killington parking reservation link below.

KILLINGTON PARKING RESERVATION
Please be aware, you are attesting to your ongoing compliance and we ask that you please check the most current guidelines before each visit to Vermont.

We look forward to seeing you soon, and appreciate your support and cooperation with these protocols, developed to help keep us all healthy and our ski and snowboard season long.

That’s interesting, I thought skiers at VT resorts had to sign the form every time they skied. It’d be nice for season passholders to only have to do it once so it’s not a constant extra step. Though if it’s electronic I guess not a big deal either way.

My landlord for my seasonal rental had me fill out a form in ME to attest to their travel restrictions and have on file for the season. I offered to send test results regularly, but he declined having me need to do that. Said he was happy with my plans as I laid out to him, but appreciated my offer of transparency with compliance.

elemmac

Angel Diva
It could be the sign designers deliberately chose to use a layout and color that would subconsciously trigger the same reaction you would have if rapidly approaching a pair of "wrong way" signs: pay attention, you need to do something important and fast.

Pretty certain the DOT regulates road sign colors. And from what I see, this sign meets the criteria:

“The color of roadway signs is an important indicator of the information they contain. The use of red on signs is limited to stop, yield, and prohibition signs. A white background indicates a regulatory sign; yellow conveys a general warning message; green shows permitted traffic movements or directional guidance; fluorescent yellow/green indicates pedestrian crossings and school zones; orange is used for warning and guidance in roadway work zones; coral is used for incident management signs;** blue indicates road user services, tourist information, and evacuation routes; and brown is for guidance to sites of public recreation or cultural interest.”

Source: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/services/publications/fhwaop02084/index.htm

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
That’s interesting, I thought skiers at VT resorts had to sign the form every time they skied. It’d be nice for season passholders to only have to do it once so it’s not a constant extra step. Though if it’s electronic I guess not a big deal either way.

I completed the attestation right away and there was some verbiage about only having to complete it once as a pass holder but that you have to comply with the rules every time.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I completed the attestation right away and there was some verbiage about only having to complete it once as a pass holder but that you have to comply with the rules every time.

That’s much more convenient than I originally interpreted it so that’s great!

I’ll take any part being convenient haha. The testing right now with the holiday rush surely is not. I arrived at a site 2 hours before open this morning at 6am and I have around 50 cars ahead of me with no end in sight behind me. Yesterday I went to a different site 2 hours early and was 5th in line! Problem being that after sitting for an hour and a ton of cars showing up they start telling us that they just got word that the test administrators were not showing up and the site wasn’t going to open at all. I then drove to the site I’m currently at 30 minutes from the first and it was filled to capacity so I went home, only to be back here this morning. Hoping after the holiday craze appointments will be easier to come by instead of the first come first served drive thru type. I’m truly impressed with how many people are showing up so early though, it’s nuts. At least it does show that people are trying to comply in some capacity before whatever their plans are for the holiday.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Yikes, that sounds intense! It’s good that people are trying to comply. I suggested to my mom that she get tested in order to cut her quarantine time in half, but she said she didn’t want to because of the number of people at each site.

It’ll be great when the at-home covid test kit that was approved last week is finally available en masse. Who knows how long that will take though!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yikes, that sounds intense! It’s good that people are trying to comply. I suggested to my mom that she get tested in order to cut her quarantine time in half, but she said she didn’t want to because of the number of people at each site.

It’ll be great when the at-home covid test kit that was approved last week is finally available en masse. Who knows how long that will take though!

I don’t blame her haha, it’s no fun. I’m just happy they have drive thru sites, I can at least read and get some work done in my car versus the sites you have to walk up to.. I’m not sure how far out you can make appointments, but I’ve heard great things about the Revere site which would be a lot more convenient for someone who lives around the city than for me. Someone I know went there yesterday with an appointment and he said he was in and out in 15 minutes, no crowds, etc. That one is free as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna