• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Upright stance boots for quad burn?

elemmac

Angel Diva
I have coming: Lange RX 110, K2 Anthem 100, full tilt soul sister 90 (which are the boot fitters recommendation).
I would recommend when trying these on, think about what specifically could make them work (unless they're so far out-of-whack that it's useless). Write down what doesn't feel right (like what you've done for the other boots): want less forward lean, more room in the calf area, better heel hold, it fits perfect but is too soft..etc. Take these "complaints" to your bootfitter (or your future bootfitter), they should be able to let you know if they can fix the complaint, or if you should look at something different. The more information you provide to them, the better they can help you.

To find a boot that checks all of your boxes right from the factory is a tough one. Boots are SOOO customizable these days, and your bootfitter should be able to help direct you to what can be fixed.

Jilly

Staff member
Marc or JP at Magasin de Place in the resort village. I don't think they will have anything during the summer, but I could be wrong.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Perhaps the fitter recommended the Soul Sister 90 b/c it is the original shell that is most similar to the old Raichle shell. You have not stated what your foot measurements are - that boot is a 99 last -if you are narrow it may be too wide once the liner packs out. It comes with a 6 flex tongue and a tongue intuition liner. If this boot works for you you can always stiffen up the flex by getting a 10 flex tongue (easy 2 min swap) and perhaps the intuition wrap liner which could also make you more upright. The only shop that will help you with the Full Tilt boots in Mammoth is P3 next to Schat's bakery. Please see Keith he is awesome.

You mentioned you had an orthotic -- was this in your last boot? Again so many variables that can affect your alignment/stance.

Here is a good video re: boot/ board angles and how they affect your stance. https://patriotfootbeds.com/blogs/bootorials/16325621-forward-lean-and-ramp-angle

The Lange and K2 you ordered will probably have the most upright stance of the 3.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Perhaps the fitter recommended the Soul Sister 90 b/c it is the original shell that is most similar to the old Raichle shell.
Excellent point! Definitely has some promise of working.

Hmmm, didn't K2 buy Full Tilt....
K2 Sports has owned them for awhile. They bought out Line skis and Full Tilt in 2005-2010ish. They’ll be integrating the Full Tilt design into K2 boots next year, and discontinuing FT as a brand.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm thinking that there should be a good deal then on the FT's. Discontinued name. But that won't matter if the boot doesn't fit!!

queenofamerica

Diva in Training
Thank you so much to this forum!! After being dismissed by a local bootfitter it was good to see, no, I was not inventing this issue and it was not just about lack of being in shape or my form. I ended up getting K2 Mindbenders from REI based off a similar reddit thread, and after a couple days of trying them out the quad burn is SO much better.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much to this forum!! After being dismissed by a local bootfitter it was good to see, no, I was not inventing this issue and it was not just about lack of being in shape or my form. I ended up getting K2 Mindbenders from REI based off a similar reddit thread, and after a couple days of trying them out the quad burn is SO much better.
Being dismissed is disheartening, especially when I feel this is a critical issue. I also experienced this. While I loved the fit of my new Atomic Hawx Ultra boots in terms of really gripping my heels and feet, the stance was too forward for me and it really did me and my quads in. I had honestly never experienced burning like that and never want to again.

I didn't realize it was the forward lean immediately, but I did some research and my old Salomons, which my quads felt much better, were much more upright at 12.5 degrees. Atomic are adjustable for lean, and I found that some Atomics offered lean adjustability to as upright as 13 degrees, but my particular boot only offered 15 or 17 out of the box. Atomic though offered what they called a flip chip to get my pair to 13 degrees. I special ordered the part after calling a bunch of places and eagerly hoped that would fix it. My bootfitter installed it for me and voila! Next time I skiied, I knew I was back!

They say this issue can feel more exacerbated in women because of our shorter stature. I'm not sure about that, but I know its real!

queenofamerica

Diva in Training
ooh I also did try the Atomic Hawx, loved the fit but yeah the forward lean felt too much so I'm glad you got a solution for them! The bootfitter was trying to sell me hard on the Atomic's but completely dismissed me when I asked about available options to customize forward lean, so I ended up going with the K2s!

It's real! Yeah a different bootfitter later was mentioning an option of getting mens boots to help, but said that could then raise different issues with the knees.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ooh I also did try the Atomic Hawx, loved the fit but yeah the forward lean felt too much so I'm glad you got a solution for them! The bootfitter was trying to sell me hard on the Atomic's but completely dismissed me when I asked about available options to customize forward lean, so I ended up going with the K2s!

It's real! Yeah a different bootfitter later was mentioning an option of getting mens boots to help, but said that could then raise different issues with the knees.
Yep, only certain models have the ability out of the box to go to 13 degrees - I wish it was more available on all of them. I know @SnowHot loves her K2s, great boots, and I'm so glad you found something that works for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga