• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tune problem. Has anyone had this happen to them?

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's a common feeling among some old school ski techs in New England. Partially because they have relatively little knowledge about DPS as a ski company. DPS skis are primarily geared to powder or back country touring in the western mountains. One tech I talked to about Phantom near Boston had to admit he was a snowboarder and had never heard of DPS.

Aspen Ski Co. started treating all of their demo skis the first season that Version 2 was available. The next season they treated all of their rental skis. Presumably they were pretty clear that it works well for recreational skiers who have little interest in waxing their own skis.

Yeah, I mean he probably is old school since he's been doing this a long time, but he's also very highly regarded in the industry so I assume he stays up on new stuff. Though specializing in higher end skis and racing mostly it might not factor into that niche as well. He knows what Phantom is, I'm not sure how deeply he's gone into it overall.

I think it makes sense for rental/demo fleets to use it regardless, even if it were true that the bases lose some protection it still has to save an enormous amount of time and money versus waxing constantly. Plus they will end up selling demo skis after a season and rental skis are usually lower end, so I'm not sure longevity of base protection matters all that much in comparison to the efficiencies realized.

I definitely like the Phantom, and will likely do a couple more pairs at some point. Last season we didn't fully make it to spring, but we had enough spring like days for me to know that there was a major improvement for me there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna