• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tuckermans Ravine?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the east I was used to lift served and I allowed myself to be psyched into thinking that Tucks was above my ability level.

I agree - my best friend has been saying for years now that I can ski it, and it's only been in the last few years that I'm actually convinced that I can....after people started naming things that I had skied and telling me how they compared, in terms of pitch, to the various routes down Tucks.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Here is a shot of the ravine in summer as it looks from the Tuckerman Ravine Trail from the summit:
ry%3D400

And a shot from late last April:
ry%3D400

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When one of my sons was racing and I was racing Masters, we were going to go with a group from Loon Racing (about 15-20 years ago). The day we had planned to go there were avalanche warnings and that was the end of that. I couldn't do it now but back then I probably could have. I think that I was more afraid of hiking with all that gear than I was of the skiing. I'd never hiked with more than a day pack.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OvertheHillDiva,
I am old and I hiked that sucker last year. Went to the top of Hillman's with all my gear on my back. That was the physically hard part. It is doable for us oldies, if you are willing to be the slowest person going up. I had one companion as slow as me, and we stopped often. It took us forever to get to the top. But the view was constantly amazing on that sunny warm day, and being passed by young folks didn't bother us. We rested quite a while at the top before coming down. Skiing down is another story, however.

So if you're fit, and willing to do it, I'd suggest going for it. You can bail anytime the weight on your back gets too heavy, or your endurance just fades away. Just ski down when ready, or worn out.
It was bumps the whole way, but soft ones, all corn. I think I went at the end of April. Doing it on icy snow would be a do-not-fall-or-else-situation, not for people likely to be weakened by the long hike like me.

I didn't ski Tuckerman Ravine, only Hillman's. I walked up to the ravine the next weekend sans skis, and the hike up seemed much easier without skis and boots on the old aging back. That's another option - hike up without skis, but with lunch, to watch the younguns. It was quite a show there at the base of the ravine. Kids were on sleds, there were dogs, picnics, people having beer parties, amazing.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Sure hope you get to do it. I think it was five years ago (when I was 59) I decided I'd like to try Tuckerman and thought it should be before I got much older. Contacted a friend who does it regularly, so ended up going with him and his family.

We were aiming for the Canadian long weekend in May, which is kind of the traditional time for Canadians to go, but weather was bad (snow, avalanches) so we postponed until the following weekend, which was Memorial Day. Turned out to be a spectacular day - it had rained (well, in the valley anyhow) the day before, but cleared during the night and dropped below freezing. We enjoyed a crystal clear sunny day with what turned out to be excellent snow conditions.

The climb up wasn't too bad - though it's not easy carrying all your gear - think my pack weighed about 32 pounds (and I'm not a big person). Once at Tuckerman, we rested, ate, put on ski boots and generally gathered our courage before climbing. I ended up doing three runs and was feeling pretty proud of myself - until we started down. Couldn't ski down (no snow) so had to hike and that's when the tiredness really hit. If I recall correctly, I was so tired I couldn't even eat dinner (and that's something for me!)

Anyway, it's something I'm very glad I've done. Every now and then when I hear these friends are going I'm a bit tempted. I keep trying to convince someone (one of my kids for example) to come along and carry my gear as I'm sure my skis/boots are heavier now - but no luck so far.

So, go for it! It's a great thing to do.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you guys are killing me. You have no idea how much I want to do this! I'll probably be able to hike it later this spring but I suppose skiing it will have to wait til next year.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Heads up: some really STRANGE weather due here both tonight/tomorrow and Sunday. Keep an eye out! Not sure what it will do at elevation, hoping for some snow at elevation here tonight, but Sunday looks very dubious. So keep tabs on Mt Wash weather!!

Hey, Swamp Dog: isn't your Big Appt with the surgeon really SOON??? Please update us on your hit/run thread!! Or start one in "health," etc, so we can cheer you on!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heads up: some really STRANGE weather due here both tonight/tomorrow and Sunday. Keep an eye out! Not sure what it will do at elevation, hoping for some snow at elevation here tonight, but Sunday looks very dubious. So keep tabs on Mt Wash weather!!

Hey, Swamp Dog: isn't your Big Appt with the surgeon really SOON??? Please update us on your hit/run thread!! Or start one in "health," etc, so we can cheer you on!

I believe SwampDog goes under the knife tomorrow, Friday. Wish her good luck!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga