• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tuckermans Ravine?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone here ever skied Tucks? Or want to? Or have no idea what on earth I'm talking about?

It's on my life list (above the Sundance festival/Park City intersection!). Am I the only loopy diva who has this ambition?

Jilly

Staff member
Afraid its off my life list - girl I know was killed there a couple of years ago - May 24th weekend. Good skier and all. But it could have happened anywhere if the conditions and stars are aligned right!!

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only way I'm ever skiing the slopes of mt washington is taking the "ski train" on the cog railway... One I'm not quite crazy enough to ski the ravine, plus hiking up through the snow with all the gear... well just not my thing. I'll hike washington ( via tucks or huntington) at somepoint when there is no snow (or ice) in the summer. That is definitely on my list - all the tall peaks of NE are. So far I've only gotten greylock!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I feel the same way -- hiking up with all my gear isn't my cup of tea. That's why God invented ski lifts.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to do it. This spring I plan on going up just to watch, and to check out just how much of a haul it would be with gear. One of the tough young guys in our ski club went up last spring. He said he watched skiers come down between the rocks, fall, and slide down taking out numbers of hikers innocently on their way up. Once you fall, you are unable to control where you slide. There are rocks (big ones) and people below. He said there was blood on the snow.

He hiked up half way, was scared silly, and put his skis on. The space he had to stand to put them on was exactly as wide and as long as his skis. (Ever had difficulty getting your skis back on while on a slope???) Then he skied down. It was ridiculously steep. I think he did it twice.

He's going back this spring to ski it again. It's important to go when you can ski out on the sherbourne trail, because you don't want to hike out on mud. I'm going too. I'll be sitting on lunch rocks watching, and thinking.....

I've hiked Washington twice in the summer. It's hard enough with solid ground beneath my feet and just a change of clothes and water in my backpack. Adding ski boots and skis and poles and helmet etc to that pack sounds like a formidible weight increase.

The pictures make it look so beautiful, and romantic in that generic sense of being in another place, off-the-planet so to speak. But I can't get blood on the snow out of my mind.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My closest girl friend who's skied it a few times is certain that I can ski at least one of the routes down (I'm not aiming for the headwall:eek: ). I'm confident I can get her to come out east to do this with me....possibly as early as this spring. My main concern is, how tired is one after hiking up to their drop-in points? And would my muscles then get too cold while I'm hanging out recovering from the climb? I've done a decent amount of hiking in the Whites; however, it's nearly always been with only a day pack. So, my big concern would be schlepping my skis and poles, and climbing with the ski boots (I'm not a gazelle in those, either!).

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I definitely want to try it someday, but I'm having a hard time convincing the huz that the skiing would be worth the effort of the hike. :smile: Heading up in the summer and trying the hike with no snow is a great idea, though.

I have a friend who's done it who says it was fantastic. We're not quite at his level yet, but we definitely will be in a year or two.

There are some great views of Tuckerman's from Wildcat - here's a picture we took when we were up there over Presidents' Day weekend: https://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=397115360&size=m

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anybody that wants company checking out Tuckerman's, PM me! Hubby's not interested in checking it out, let alone skiing it, but looking it over with a like-minded Diva sounds like fun. Maybe I could meet my season goal of raccoon eyes while we bask in the sun and feel sorry for those leaving the blood trails on the snow.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tucks -- when?

OK, girl, when do you want to do it? March? April? Where are you? I'm on the north shore of Boston. I go up to North Conway every single weekend as long as the mountains are still hosting skiing. I belong to a ski club. You could stay there as my guest, and we'd go up on Saturday. Most people go up when it warms up. Or you could stay Sat night too and we could ski on Sunday before driving home. Or on Friday before hauling ourselves up Tucks.

Anyone else? The more, the merrier!

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
please go with some-one who has experience!! This is no joke! Being in the climb line is extremely scary!! Terry

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tcarey said:
please go with some-one who has experience!! This is no joke! Being in the climb line is extremely scary!! Terry

You've been up? I hear the crowds are dense, the steps are formed in the snow, and if you're just going up to look, then just go. As long as you're fit enough to make it.

Of course you need to check out the avalanche info, and know you have all the gear and emergency stuff and water you need.

I've climbed Mt. Washington twice in the summer, and I've done Tucks on one of those trips. The hike up to lunch rocks is just a little over half way to the top. That's what I'm wanting to do. Go up, eat lunch and watch, and hike back down. Don't know if I'm fit enough with only skiing to haul up the boots and skis; will consider doing that next year if all goes well this year just going up to watch.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think my first foray up there may be merely to the lunch rocks to observe the scene. Getting my person up to the general NH vicinity requires a plane ride.... :smile:

Oh, and I think it's more of an April/May thing rather than March. Although, this season, I have no idea what's been going on up there.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hiked up Mt. Washington last August on one of the routes that allowed a good view of Tucks. Man, does it look intense! We're talking steeper than steep! I think I would have been able to do the hike up and ski down (theoretically, if I was a much MUCH insanely much better skiier) but that was in my hiking boots... I really don't know if I could handle it in my ski boots! But then, I hate walking from my car to the lift in my boots...

Be careful, the weather is really as crazy as they say! What route does the hike up take you on? Do you take the road, or do you take one of the hiking trails?

K.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did Tucs 3 years ago with 3 guys who had done it before.The hike up the trail is not too bad-it can get narrow in spots and can be icy and slick.My pack weighed about 38 lbs.When you get too lunch rocks you put on your ski boots and carry your poles and skis in your hands.There is boot steps but along the way you might have to go out of the line or around small crevasses that form.I think it took me about 45 minutes to hike up to the snowfeilds where I had to rest for about 15 minutes before I skied down.The snow was really good when I was there and if you have a good hop turn the steeps are not a problem.I was completley exhuasted from the hike and could not hike up again so I watched my buds from lunch rocks do a couple of runs.The hike down was a bit tough because I was so tired but I made it.
We are trying to plan another trip this year.The weather needs to be good.

Hope this gives you more info about Tucks!

Terry

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
TCarey,

If you are game for company, let me know with a pm when you're going. I really want to do this. You and friends can stay at my ski club in North Conway if you need overnight accommodations. It's real cheap; $20.00 per night. Bunk beds; bath down the hall; hot cooked breakfast for $5.00.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have wanted to do Tucks for many years. We might be joining some friends at the end of April. This is all dependent upon the weather, of course.

Thatsagirl

abc

Banned
Terry had it right. It's much easier if you can hook up with someone who knows the Tuck. I happen to skied with some people who had done it more than once. Their comments were, you don't need to be a super skier to do it, but you do need to be fit for the hike and versatile to deal with variable conditions.

For me, it's not going to be this year. My fitness is not where it need to be. As a consequence, my skiing also suffers. For me, the main issue is to still have something left at the end of the hike. I don't want to just "do it" for the braggin right. I want to be able to actually enjoy the skiing. My plan is, I'll train hard this summer, ski lots next winter so I'll be in good position to do it end of next winter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga