• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Travel/Skiing after Covid positive result

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Was. Not this season. He has given up snow for this season. As have I.
He lives in the Gardnerville, NV, area right now, was in SLT until exposed to the virus - which indeed he got.
I’m sorry to hear that.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
My son is, regrettably, on day 12 of 14 day quarantine for covid-positive, in CA. His symptoms have been mild - but the loss of smell and taste have annoyed him a great deal. Apparently, that can persist for months : ( He has had to cancel a visit here - just as well, given the CDC advisory that non-essential travel not happen. Sad, though, since it's his b-day and multiple holidays. <sigh> As long as he gets better - and I wish you the same. 285k weren't so lucky....

Oh, I'm sorry to hear your son has to go through this, and won't be traveling! I am slowly getting my taste and smell back. We had Mexican last night, and I still thought it was bland, even with extra hot sauce. But I could taste it, so I'm improving. But I agree - it's very annoying. I couldn't even tell if a food had gone bad.

I'm glad he's only experiencing mild symptoms. It's definitely comforting coming through it - now he can feel confident the next time he comes home that he won't be bringing it with him. Knowing I won't be spreading it (or hospitalized with it!) relieves a lot of stress for me.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Lmk92 so glad to hear you have recovered well. Agreed, travel after having COVID is a hole in each of the states' travel restrictions. Since you can continue to test positive for weeks or even months post infection, the CDC recommendation is to quarantine for 10 days from symptom onset and then you are no longer communicable.

Our daughter became symptomatic and tested positive around the same time as you; she tested negative before going to spend a week with her boyfriend, but a day after returning she called me because she woke up sweaty and had a fever and headache; she got tested as did the people she had contact with. She was positive as were her boyfriend's mother and brother, but her boyfriend and his father were negative, as were the other few people exposed and contacted. They all quarantined and tested again and no one else contracted it; her boyfriend and his father also tested for antibodies and were negative. His mother and brother recovered quickly with negligible symptoms. My daughter never lost sense of taste/smell and all symptoms were gone within a few days. Although she is young and an athlete, she does have illness/exercise induced asthma, but luckily she did not experience any breathing issues at all.

In this whole scenario, it is surprising that people who had very close contact with infected individuals did not contract it, but at the same time we will never be sure how she contracted it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Lmk92 so glad to hear you have recovered well. Agreed, travel after having COVID is a hole in each of the states' travel restrictions. Since you can continue to test positive for weeks or even months post infection, the CDC recommendation is to quarantine for 10 days from symptom onset and then you are no longer communicable.

Our daughter became symptomatic and tested positive around the same time as you; she tested negative before going to spend a week with her boyfriend, but a day after returning she called me because she woke up sweaty and had a fever and headache; she got tested as did the people she had contact with. She was positive as were her boyfriend's mother and brother, but her boyfriend and his father were negative, as were the other few people exposed and contacted. They all quarantined and tested again and no one else contracted it; her boyfriend and his father also tested for antibodies and were negative. His mother and brother recovered quickly with negligible symptoms. My daughter never lost sense of taste/smell and all symptoms were gone within a few days. Although she is young and an athlete, she does have illness/exercise induced asthma, but luckily she did not experience any breathing issues at all.

In this whole scenario, it is surprising that people who had very close contact with infected individuals did not contract it, but at the same time we will never be sure how she contracted it.
So your daughter tested positive, then negative, then two weeks later positive again?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
So your daughter tested positive, then negative, then two weeks later positive again?
No, she tested negative right before she left to visit her boyfriend and then positive over a week later after returning. She has not retested again - was told to quarantine for 10 days and at that point is longer communicable.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No, she tested negative right before she left to visit her boyfriend and then positive after returning. She has not retested again - was told to quarantine for 10 days and at that point is longer communicable.
Oh right. I looked at your first sentence when you stated she tested positive around the same time as ling. Glad all is well !

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Oh right. I looked at your first sentence when you stated she tested positive around the same time as ling. Glad all is well !
Right, I then backed up to tell the whole story which may not have been clear.

She tested negative 11/20 before she came home from her apartment, left 11/23 for her boyfriend’s, returned 12/1 from there, and was symptomatic and tested positive 12/2.

She was counseled not to retest for quite some time because you can continue to shed non-communicable virus that can still trigger a positive test.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband’s grandmother who is 100 tested positive but remained asymptotic and was on 14 day quarantine at her assisted living. Now she no longer has to do the weekly test sampling til March - for the same reasoning that you can keep testing positive even though you are no longer contagious. I was really surprised that is how they do it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My husband’s grandmother who is 100 tested positive but remained asymptotic and was on 14 day quarantine at her assisted living. Now she no longer has to do the weekly test sampling til March - for the same reasoning that you can keep testing positive even though you are no longer contagious. I was really surprised that is how they do it.
Assuming the goal of regular testing, either mass testing or a sample of a population, is to detect people who are contagious but unaware they have COVID-19 then there is not much reason to test someone who was known to have had COVID-19 and recovered. No point to waste materials and money for False Positives.

There are a few other stories of centenarians who didn't have much issue with getting COVID-19. A guess is that if they were exposed to the 1918 virus as babies, that might be protective.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And immunity lasts 100 years ?
Obviously no direct immunity to a novel coronavirus, but natural human defenses can make adjustments to at least damp down related illnesses. That's why someone who gets a flu vaccine for a subset of flu strains will still do better with another strain not directly included in the mix for a given flu season.

I remember reading that blood was drawn from the centenarian woman in Italy after she recovered for research purposes. That was back in the spring.

Some reports about centenarians:

https://abc11.com/health/105-year-old-nc-woman-recalls-father-being-ill-during-1918-flu/6103869/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-spanish-flu-survives-coronavirus/2926073001/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/102-years-old-new-york-woman-beats-coronavirus-twice-n1249863

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-102-year-old-woman-survives-italy/6063077/

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
And immunity lasts 100 years ?
It can. Smallpox, for example (now I'm dating myself), and I also still have good titers from the MMR shot I got in 1980, and HepB in 1986.

I'm not an Immunologist, but I suspect it partly depends on what part of the virus the vaccine targets - whether that part remains stable when the virus mutates.

Christy

Angel Diva
Interesting conversation! Virologist or immunologist never seemed interesting career paths..until 2020

My friend who is in the field will tell you that there are lots of "exciting viruses" to study, and she can't wait to get back to studying them after we deal with this one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna