• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Massanutten Jan. 9-12, 2014

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a great time at Massanutten Jan. 7-12. Got to my timeshare unit after checking out Whitetail in frigid temps. Skied Wintergreen with trying2ski on Jan. 8. Skied Mnut Jan. 9-12 in changing conditions. Did the Silver Clinic Thu and Sun afternoons, the special Women's Clinic on Sun morning with a couple Divas, and had fun checking out demo skis Sat morning and Sun.

By the time I was skiing at Mnut, the frigid weather was gone. Conditions were wonderful on Thu. No one else showed up for the Silver Clinic, so I had a private with Walter. He was enjoying the snow a lot since we work on stuff on the harder runs. If someone else shows up, they are usually intermediates. Fri was cloudy, with some mist but it never rained. Biggest difference was that most of the snow whales were gone. The groomers had used the extra snow to make sure there was plenty of coverage side-to-side. Snow was soft, no one was around, so I had a good time. Sat started out fine in the morning. I checked out a few skis before the rain came at 11:30am. Took a long lunch during the rain. Olesya and her DH arrived during lunch. Even though Freestyle had packed up for the day, they let her take out a pair of demo skis after lunch. By the time we got on the slopes, it was foggy but only drizzling. Quit raining completely by 3:00. We ended up skiing into the lights because the snow was great, soft but not anywhere near slushy. Sunday was very nice. Blue sky, warm enough to soften things by mid-morning but not too hot so only got a bit too soft on the lower mountain in the late afternoon.

Sunday was the day of the special clinics. One for women in the morning, then one for intermediates in the afternoon. Trying2ski, Olesya, and I went out to the lifts with Julie. Another woman who I don't know stayed in the teaching area with another instructor, Jeanette. Julie is the Mgr. of Slopesliders, the ski school program for kids. She's Level 3. Very good! The intermediate clinic ended up just Olesya and her DH. Both Julie and Jeanette worked with them. Did a run at the top towards the end of the session. I did another Silver Clinic with Walter in the afternoon. A private again so we skied off Lift 6. Had a great time. What we worked on Thu was starting to make sense. Making subtle changes that are at the same time fundamental.

But enough rambling . . . on to the pics.

Plenty of snow on Jan. 9 near the base, looking up Southern Comfort (green) with DJ in the background
Mnut 09t12Jan - 01.jpg

Snowboard instructors training on Lower MakAttack (blue), from Lift 5 (triple)
Mnut 09t12Jan - 02.jpg

Looking down the middle of Paradise at a snow whale (black), lots of whales provided fun contours
Mnut 09t12Jan - 03.jpg

Clouds in the valley on Jan. 10, view from top section of Paradise (black)
Mnut 09t12Jan - 04.jpg

Sunset on Jan. 11 after the rain was gone
Mnut 09t12Jan - 05.jpg

Great start to the day on Jan. 12, top of Lift 6 where Diamond Jim and Paradise start (blacks)
Mnut 09t12Jan - 06.jpg

Upper MakAttack (black) bumps getting interesting, never groomed. A short run but challenging.
Mnut 09t12Jan - 07.jpg

Women's Clinic with Julie (black & red instructor jacket), Olesya, MarzNC (white helmet), trying2ski (pink jacket). Don't tell ski patrol where we were or what we were doing with poles but no skis. :smile:
Mnut 09t12Jan - 08.jpg
Mnut 09t12Jan - 09.jpg

Julie and Jeanette with Olesya waiting for her DH, at the top of Lift 6
Mnut 09t12Jan - 12.jpg

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Freestyle brought a nice selection of women's skis in lengths from about 150 to 166. Olesya tried out a few of the unisex/men's skis in longer lengths.

Mnut 09t12Jan - 10.jpg Mnut 09t12Jan - 11.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Discovered yesterday that SheJumps is going to have their first ever snow event in their Southeast Region at Massanutten on Jan. 25. I can't go since I'll be in Utah but I hope it's a success. SheJumps is the non-profit co-founded by Lynsey Dyer . . . the creator of the Pretty Faces film due out later this year in part because of a successful Kickstarter campaign.

The first 9 women to register get a $50 lift ticket. Regular price is $68 for a Saturday 8-hour lift ticket. SheJumps will be there doing stuff 9:00-5:00. The flyer says "Don’t forget your tutus, boas, spandex, and other fun outfits!!!"

https://www.shejumps.org/massanutten-lady-ski-day/

Last edited:

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I was there! I thought (and forecast said) it'd be pouring that weekend and didn't want to ski in the rain, even though I really wanted to try some of those demo skis. Thanks for the report and the pictures!

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That day was one of my top favorite/fun skiing days ever! Had a blast with you guys!
Hope we can do it again.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Great report marz - and so wonderful to hear such enthusiasm during this period of less-than-ideal conditions in the east. Just shows you gotta get out there and enjoy what we have - it's often better than you think it might be.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wish I was there! I thought (and forecast said) it'd be pouring that weekend and didn't want to ski in the rain, even though I really wanted to try some of those demo skis. Thanks for the report and the pictures!
Next time! Glad you posted. Note that the Meet On the Hill threads is in Divas Only. You'll need to post more to be able to see them. Easiest way is to introduce yourself in a new thread in Getting to Know You.

What I've learned about Mnut is that the mountain creates a micro-climate because of the way it sticks up in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley. There are many times that it's raining or fully cloudy in the valley but okay on the slopes. Meaning damp with mist and not good visibility on the upper mountain but good snow in the middle and lower sections. When a front is moving through, it can clear at the top relatively quickly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great report marz - and so wonderful to hear such enthusiasm during this period of less-than-ideal conditions in the east. Just shows you gotta get out there and enjoy what we have - it's often better than you think it might be.
Any day on skis is a fun day for me. Besides, I got lucky. Had I planned to ski in the NE all of last week, probably would've had to change plans. As I first learned when exploring NC and southern WV ski areas with Marz Jr., we are completely spoiled skiing at Mnut and staying on resort.

In recent years, I'm starting to appreciate how Mnut stacks up with places in PA. There are climate and topography reasons that Mnut has been around for 41 years. Although it didn't become a lost ski area because of the timeshare and other real estate development in the late 1980s. The place was in bankruptcy in the early 1980s, so it wasn't a sure thing at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That day was one of my top favorite/fun skiing days ever! Had a blast with you guys!
Hope we can do it again.
Put Feb. 14-17 on your ski calendar. I'll be back at Mnut for an extended Pres. Day weekend. Maybe we can set up a special Diva clinic for Feb. 17. While the resort will be busy, relatively few resort guests ski on the holiday Monday.

veritasliberat

Certified Ski Diva
Would Friday, Feb. 14 in the afternoon or evening be possible for you? Much more likely to be able to get Julie then.
Well, you've never met me so don't base your scheduling on me, but I'll throw out there that I would love to join you... I wouldn't be able to get out there that day until probably 6, though. So if you go for afternoon, no worries, I'll just try to catch the next one.:smile: But if you end up making it evening Friday or going back to doing Monday and can add another person, count me in.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, you've never met me so don't base your scheduling on me, but I'll throw out there that I would love to join you... I wouldn't be able to get out there that day until probably 6, though. So if you go for afternoon, no worries, I'll just try to catch the next one.:smile: But if you end up making it evening Friday or going back to doing Monday and can add another person, count me in.
No worries, that's all I wanted to know at this point. If something comes together on Friday, no reason there couldn't be a clinic on Monday as well. Always room for one more at Mnut group lessons since there are so many good instructors who can be pulled in for special events.

I think you'll discover that "meeting" online counts for a lot around here. I have invited more than one Diva to share a condo with me without having met them in person first in the past few years. I grew up in NYC, so am not the type to be friendly to everyone. It's been great fun to meet up with Divas for a tour from a local all over North America as I check out new places.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna