• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Bridger, March 2024

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently the Teton County Sherrif's Office is the official source of info about road closures. They have a Facebook page. It's not clear how travelers can stayed informed. Since the road to GT from Driggs, ID starts in Idaho but ends in Wyoming, it's a little confusing. The WY 511 website didn't have any useful info about the last stretch of road. Some signage on the way out of Driggs on Ski Hill Road would be helpful.

March 2, 2024
"
UPDATE: As of 4:04 p.m. Alta Ski Hill Rd, Stateline Rd and Alta North Rd are now open. However, all county-maintained roads in Teton County, WY will maintain a “no unnecessary travel” advisory through Sunday, March 3 at 7:00 a.m..

JACKSON, Wyo. — As of 9:18 a.m. Teton County Emergency Management has announced that Alta Ski Hill Rd will remain closed for the rest of the day. Alta North Rd and Stateline Rd are also closed. All other county-maintained roads in Teton County, WY will have a “no unnecessary travel” advisory in place for the remainder of the day.

Due to the Ski Hill Rd closure and conditions, Grand Targhee Resort is closed for the day. Targhee Resort issued a statement on their website acknowledging the closure: “Due to the road closure, hazardous conditions and the safety of our employees. Grand Targhee is closed for the day (Sat. Mach 2). ”
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Given that GT was closed yesterday, Sunday, March 3 was one of the busiest days ever. At least that's what I heard from assorted locals, including a Mountain Host. The lines for all the lifts at 8:45 were very long. Since the majority of the skiers/boarders were there for the new snow, many areas were tracked out pretty quickly. The snow was on the dense side, so skiing in the late morning and afternoon took some concentration.

Turned out that in addition to the Tele Fest, there were three demo tents: Atomic, Scott, and WNDR.

We were up very early because we had to load the car before heading to GT to try to get parked. Driving wasn't too bad and we managed to get parked in Lot 2. There is only one shuttle bus for the parking lots but locals don't bother with it. We were the only passengers for a loop from Lot 2 around Lots 3 and 4, with the drop off right at the main base lodge. We heard that Lot 4 was full by 9:00am. After that it's 1-for-1, meaning people willing to wait can park when a car leaves.

More later. It's been a long day since we drove to West Yellowstone after skiing. Will get to Big Sky tomorrow morning. Luckily the driving weather is good these two days.

Sunrise from Driggs condo, March 3
GT Day 3 03Mar2024 - 1.jpeg

View of the Tetons on the way up Ski Hill Road
GT Day 3 03Mar2024 - 1 (1).jpeg

Demo tents
GT Day 3 Demo tents 03Mar2024 - 1.jpeg

Good visibility all day, with somewhat flat light due to the cloud cover, temps in the low teens but no wind
GT Day 3 03Mar2024 - 1 (2).jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
For assorted reasons, in particular that I forgot my helmet in the car, I skied solo at GT on March 3. With the long lift lines all morning, it was a good day to get in a Singles line for Dreamcatcher (DC) and Sacajewea (Sac). I had a number of fun conversations on the lifts. Everyone at GT is friendly, whether they are locals or travelers. Have met several people from the midwest (MI, OH). The travelers seemed to be regulars. As opposed to people checking out GT only because it's on the MCP. I fit that category at this point given that it's the 5th time stopping to ski GT when driving from SLC to Big Sky. It won't be the last.

Got fresh tracks near Painted Pony
GT Day 3 solo 03Mar2024 - 1.jpeg

The singles line for Sac around 11am took 15 minutes
GT Day 3 solo 03Mar2024 - 2.jpeg

Many people eat outdoors, either buying food or bringing food
Lunch crowd around 1pm, there is no on-mountain dining option
GT Day 3 solo 03Mar2024 - 3.jpeg

Having a magic carpet covered by a tunnel is new for 2023-24
GT Day 3 solo 03Mar2024 - 4.jpeg

Still plenty of snow to play with in the afternoon in the Adventure Park off Shoshone, the teaching area not only for kids, but also for adults. I watched an instructor with a group of adults take them to untracked powder on Friday near the North Pole terrain park. That area was closed on Sunday because it was too deep and heavy.
GT Day 3 solo 03Mar2024 - 5.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Heading to Big Sky this morning. Meeting up with a couple other women joining my crew. Plus @MissySki is already there with other Divas and friends from Sunday River. Looking good for the next few days. My crew is skiing Big Sky through Sat, March 9.

I brought all the clothing I have for frigid weather. Worked well at GT yesterday.

From OpenSnow as of early morning, March 4
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 6.13.10 AM.png

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's good vis for Targhee! I cannot get over those lines, though!

And yes, the vibe there, it's a true skiers mountain. I've always been impressed with the overall skill level of most skiers there (at least compared to Snowbasin.) The beginner terrain is also second-to-none. I'll go play around there if I'm getting tired. Were you able to get to Colter? It's absolutely stunning on a sunny day, and a great addition to the mountain.

It sounds like Big Sky is finally getting some good snow, so that will be fun. Makes me want to get a Mountain Collective again next year...

KayOss

Certified Ski Diva
Love the trip report - you flew in to SLC on our last day there! We thought about continuing to Wyoming but realized we didn't have enough supplies/medication to support another week. Never been to WY or MT so I'm taking notes !

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still can't believe that Grand Targhee was closed all day on Saturday! What a bummer. Hope you get extra-good conditions in Big Sky and Bridger.

I just noticed that Grand Targhee posted a pretty cool photo of DH & I riding the Dreamcatcher lift to social media over the weekend.

429589308_784120203749820_6549854293864886236_n.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Were you able to get to Colter? It's absolutely stunning on a sunny day, and a great addition to the mountain.
Yes, but not with any sun. We skied for more than two hours straight on Friday afternoon after lunch off Colter. It was storm skiing with free refills every run. We stuck with the ungroomed blues, which were pretty deep. The far side was too windy so only did that once. Don't know the area well enough to deal with the trees yet.

Heard from a Mountain Host on Sunday that Colter was more wind buffed and grew bumps rapidly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The drive from West Yellowstone to Big Sky was much easier than a year ago. There was snow on the road in the park, but after that RT191 was dry. Being a Monday, there wasn't much traffic. We got to the 15-min drop off parking area around 9:30am. There was sun in the morning. After lunch clouds moved in and it was started snowing around 2:00. The snow was only at the mountain for a while. Driving down to Meadow Village where we have the condo this time, the roads were dry and there was still blue sky to be seen.

Although snow conditions were good after a recent snowstorm, the coverage is very low. I've seen treetops and grass in places that are usually completely white.

Early view of Lone Peak from the road to the resort
Big Sky Day 1 04Mar2024 - 1.jpeg

Entrance to the free locker room is the door marked The Exchange
There are some pay lockers there, plus a single restroom
The Vista Hall food court is three floors up, there is an elevator from the locker room
Big Sky Day 1 04Mar2024 - 2.jpeg

The bumps in Elk Park were soft
Big Sky Day 1 04Mar2024 - 3.jpeg

View of Lone Peak from Swift Current lift
Big Sky Day 1 04Mar2024 - 4.jpeg

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The drive from West Yellowstone to Big Sky was much easier than a year ago. There was snow on the road in the park, but after that RT191 was dry. Being a Monday, there wasn't much traffic. We got to the 15-min drop off parking area around 9:30am. There was sun in the morning. After lunch clouds moved in and it was started snowing around 2:00. The snow was only at the mountain for a while. Driving down to Meadow Village where we have the condo this time, the roads were dry and there was still blue sky to be seen.

Although snow conditions were good after a recent snowstorm, the coverage is very low. I've seen treetops and grass in places that are usually completely white.

Early view of Lone Peak from the road to the resort
View attachment 22669

Entrance to the free locker room is the door marked The Exchange
There are some pay lockers there, plus a single restroom
The Vista Hall food court is three floors up, there is an elevator from the locker room
View attachment 22670

The bumps in Elk Park were soft
View attachment 22671

View of Lone Peak from Swift Current lift
View attachment 22672
Stop please. You’re absolutely wrong. The snow wasn’t “only at the mountain for awhile”. It snowed until 7:30 PM - my Polaris had 4” of new fresh snow from 2:45PM to 7:30PM and I’m at the base.

To add, it’s 10PM and my DH is bringing our gear to our garage and it’s snowing like crazy. 10PM.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
An ounce of kindness and asking questions goes a long way to creating a caring community which is why most of us joined this forum instead of the angry ones that are co-ed. A tired, retired, woman should be allowed to say that she saw some sky through the clouds and enjoyed dry roads where it was not snowing 2 inches an hour, which it was doing where she just came from and this may have seemed dry in comparison, without being verbally reprimanded. She's a very kind active participator of this site and has nothing but good intentions. Nothing that she reported will affect anyone's experience or expectations at your hill. The angry response and new profile update you put up about what you won't tolerate seem way out of place. Besides, how many times have you not had someone local say it was an icy day while visitors exclaim that it was the best soft snow they'd ever skied on their first trip out west? Who is in such a case giving the BS report or are they both absolutely wrong? Or heard news reports differ from professionals in the same field at the same event? Anyone who needs accurate measurements can check the hourly report for the base through the avalanche weather reports for best accuracy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Stop please. You’re absolutely wrong. The snow wasn’t “only at the mountain for awhile”. It snowed until 7:30 PM - my Polaris had 4” of new fresh snow from 2:45PM to 7:30PM and I’m at the base.

To add, it’s 10PM and my DH is bringing our gear to our garage and it’s snowing like crazy. 10PM.
Thanks for the update. When I went to pick up someone at Summit around 5:30 who is joining my condo, that was the last time I saw the conditions on the mountain first hand.

Given all the travel and logistics of driving to Big Sky in the morning and getting everyone into the Meadow Village condo, we were all in bed by 9pm or so.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a semi-private lesson yesterday arranged by @bawc . We had a very good time. @BReeves215 joined in for most of the morning. I've found that can be effective for someone who doesn't get to ski very many days but would like to get advice from an instructor to provide focus at the start of a ski vacation. I learn a great deal about fundamentals when taking a lesson with friends with less skiing experience. We learned a drill during the first teaching run on a groomer that was a new way of thinking about the inside ski that would really effective. The instructor is not PSIA. She is an international instructor from Europe who finally got a visa to teach at Big Sky. She also teaches in New Zealand during their season. Having a slightly different approach was very helpful to me now that I'm getting the hang of integrating what I learn from a new instructor with what I've done with other very experienced instructors.

In the afternoon, we got to learn where to go for what have become "blue blue" bumps and/or glades on the trail map. Great fun given the fresh snow in the last day or two.

Since I didn't go to Taos for a Taos Ski Week, I'm doing more semi-private lessons with my ski/travel buddies at other mountains this season. Started with Full Day lessons at Wolf Creek in December. Have a couple more set up for later in March elsewhere.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Finally had time to look around the Big Sky app. Has some good info but with such a large resort it takes a while to figure out how to find stuff of interest at a given moment.

With multiple peaks and over 5000 acres open, the weather for different sections can vary. On the Big Sky website and in the app, I didn't recognize Bavaria as a named area. That was the winner for new snow.

The 4 inches for Lobo and Andesite were great fun on blue-blue terrain on March 5.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 7.01.44 AM.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna