• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TOTAL ECLIPSE DAY SUGARLOAF & SADDLEBACK, MAINE

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Heads up to those thinking about traveling to either of these 2 resorts on Monday, April 8. Both resorts are expecting HUGE crowds, some of whom will arrive for the entire weekend. (Both are in 100% totality zone.) Saddleback is even charging $50 to park.

If you are planning or hope to attend at either of these locations, make serious advance plans. Hundreds of campers are expected. Parking may not exist on eclipse day.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I can only speak to what’s being said about April 8 being the busiest day the resort will have seen in years (and Reggae Fest begins the following Friday, typically the busiest weekend).

Given that, if you get there early enough and are lucky, the following lots would work:

On your right, go past West Mountain Rd.
Next lot is G.
Then F.
Then E.
Boot up at car.
Bucksaw Express lift delivers you to Bullwinkle’s, prime viewing spot, per website.

https://www.sugarloaf.com/events-calendar/total-eclipse

These 3 lots would enable you to go directly to Bucksaw Express at West Mountain (opens 8:30). G is the first lot - and the smallest. F is higher up, elevation-wise, for the slide to the lift. E is the largest lot, higher yet. Park as far into the lots as possible. Bucksaw run is at the end.

If you wind up having to park on the access road, boot up at your car. Shuttles will pick you up.

Much luck. The crowd prospect has switched me off. We have friends with lakefront home in Oquossoc and will be on their back deck : )

Christy

Angel Diva
That's odd they aren't requiring reservations. The US just had a total eclipse in 2017 and it seems like everyone learned how to cope with it/take advantage of it. We have a vehicle reservation for a historic farm in SW Texas where we will hopefully see it (55% chance of sun there, and that's as good as it gets in the US). Everyplace in TX is requiring reservations, for a fee of course--state parks, private venues, etc.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just sent a message to confirm, but I have seen no mention of reservations required to park or ski there that day. They are on my pass, so I don’t need a separate ticket.. but parking is definitely a question in my mind.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I just sent a message to confirm, but I have seen no mention of reservations required to park or ski there that day. They are on my pass, so I don’t need a separate ticket.. but parking is definitely a question in my mind.
Nor have I, and this is my home mountain. Worst case scenario would be having to park along the access road, but this is an annual occurrence with Reggae Fest - OR a big powder dump (i.e., last Sunday). Resort has an excellent shuttle service and picks people up/drops off at very regular intervals at all parking lots and along access road.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Much luck. The crowd prospect has switched me off.
This is my current thoughts. I was thinking about heading up…but not sure I want to get into the thick crowds (parking, skiing and viewing). Currently leaning towards finding a good hiking trail and trying to avoid the crowds, while still seeing the total eclipse.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
There will be traffic everywhere. A good hiking trail in totality path would be Bald Mountain outside of Oquossoc. I will be in that general region, as we have friends nearby there.

elemmac

Angel Diva
There will be traffic everywhere. A good hiking trail in totality path would be Bald Mountain outside of Oquossoc. I will be in that general region, as we have friends nearby there.
I’ll check that out, thanks. I’ll be traveling from Bethel, so deciding if I want to head towards Rangley or towards northern NH (probably Dixville Notch area).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna