• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tofurkey

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
Well, like I said, she specifically mentioned it so I bought it.

If she asked for it, then that's on her and not you :smile: It's very nice of you to buy it for her. I've never had it so I can't speak. I'm sure for someone new to being vegetarian and/or younger, choosing a simple meat substitute may make it easier to eat at family meals if that makes sense.

Just remembered this morning while talking with my sister that one of the other nieces is extremely picky about what she eats. And I understand, I was picky too, but I wasn't indulged in quite the same way she is either. At any rate, she may just get spaghetti. Or yogurt. She's not at all adventurous, so I'm sure none of the other specials I have will be of any interest to her either. I'm honestly not sure how she even stays alive.

Sounds like my younger brother. I remember he would only eat baked beans and maybe bread at get-togethers. And he ate cereal for half his meals at home. Who knows.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just remembered this morning while talking with my sister that one of the other nieces is extremely picky about what she eats. And I understand, I was picky too, but I wasn't indulged in quite the same way she is either. At any rate, she may just get spaghetti. Or yogurt. She's not at all adventurous, so I'm sure none of the other specials I have will be of any interest to her either. I'm honestly not sure how she even stays alive.

On the other hand, Thanksgiving is pretty predictable as far as foods go. Unless you're intentionally doing a non-traditional one.

Jenny

Angel Diva
On the other hand, Thanksgiving is pretty predictable as far as foods go. Unless you're intentionally doing a non-traditional one.
She doesn't like turkey. Or mashed potatoes. Or sweet potatoes. I think the corn and rolls are ok. And the pumpkin pie.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I do love cheesy potatoes . . . but we, personally,, don't have them at Thanksgiving. Other times of the year, though.

Christy

Angel Diva
Along the same lines, I make smoked salmon dip all the time but don't necessarily think of it as a Thanksgiving dish. It's my potluck staple. Maybe that's why it's most googled here, because it's a crowd pleaser and it travels well, so it's easy to bring to someone's house.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I have never heard of dirt pudding... I'm afraid to Google it and add to the searches, haha. Well, I can say that I haven't seen that at any Thanksgivings.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks - I'm sure it will all be just fine. I now have borrowed enough chairs so,that everyone can sit down, so that's a plus! And I remembered my friend has an electric roaster so that's now in my kitchen, ready to go tomorrow - will make coordinating everything a lot easier.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please share photos and what you think of Tofurky.. it will be great dinner party!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have eaten TONS of tofu but never have 'seen' a tofurky just sounds so gross I want to see what it looks like out of the package LOL..

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like faking bacon. Tofu sausage and the hot dogs I make tofu jerky.. the tofurkey has to have very weird texture being tofu..

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, we're fed, cleaned up, and everyone went home. Everything was done when it was supposed to be, and we only had a couple of burned fingers, and two minor spilling/swearing incidents.

Vegan niece and her boyfriend ate, and enjoyed, the tofurkey - went back for seconds and took the leftovers home. I was so distracted by everything else I never even got around to tasting it, so I will forever remain unaware of the taste.

I have to say, it's kind of a weird thing. It was kind of like a big snowball, much firmer than I'd anticipated it being. I made the marinade suggested on the box, tossed on a bunch of other spices (same as we used on the turkey roasts), added vegetable broth to the bottom of the pan, covered it up, and put it on the grill. An hour later, pulled it off, and thought we'd destroyed it. It now looked like a big charred ball. All of the broth had boiled away - we had a little trouble regulating the grill temp - and the outer layer was pretty crispy.

Here's a picture before we cut it.
IMG_0085.JPG

And sliced. DH said it sliced like the turkey roasts did, once he pierced the outer char, that is.
20171119_141942.jpg

We had eight people at our dining room table, six at the card tables set up in the living room, and me on the couch. Since there's only the two of us, we don't have a lot of place settings, so the eight in the dining room had our everyday dishes and the others had the good china/silver that my grandmother insisted on buying for us when we got married. It's only been used maybe one other time in our lives, on a similar occasion. Seems kind of waste to have it and not use it, but I also like things that can go in the dishwasher. She always used the good stuff when we were there for holidays, though, so it's like she was with us today . . .

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I just wanted to say that I made fresh cranberry sauce since I've never had it before, and it was so good! I just used cranberries, squeezed juice from some oranges and added some zest, and sugar. I forgot about trying maple syrup.

My boyfriend liked it too, after previously telling me how gross he remembers the cranberry blob from a can used to be.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just wanted to say that I made fresh cranberry sauce since I've never had it before, and it was so good! I just used cranberries, squeezed juice from some oranges and added some zest, and sugar. I forgot about trying maple syrup.

My boyfriend liked it too, after previously telling me how gross he remembers the cranberry blob from a can used to be.

My MIL is pretty much a gourmet cook. She decided to buy cranberry "relish," as she called it, from the deli because she's "very particular. " So I'm extremely pleased to report that after tasting my tart sauce and "her" overly sweet one, she only ate mine!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna