• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips on learning to relax while skiing?

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am an intermediate, this will be my second full season skiing. I am sooo stiff when skiing, I look like a robot in the upper body. My daughter video taped me and I was shocked how tense I am. I thought pole planting would help loosen me up but it really hasn't. I think I am trying so hard to do everything "right" that it tenses me up. It doesn't matter the level of slope, I am tense. Any tips would really be appreciated! Thank you.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Tension can come from a lack of confidence So here's a simple equation:

Knowledge + time = more relaxed skiing.

Let me break this up.

Knowledge: Take lessons. They'll give you the tools you need to ski better and handle more difficult situations. And that'll make you more relaxed. Now, if you're tense because you've taken lessons and are worried about doing something "wrong," I can only recommend practice. The more you do something, the more ingrained it'll become in your muscle memory, which will make it a lot easier to do. Which leads me to the second part of the equation.....

Time: The more you do anything, the more comfortable you become. So I'm afraid, Tryin2Ski, that you just have to ski more! :smile:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
A little trick that I've found can help: relax your jaw - actually let it go slack even if you feel you're looking a bit stupid. I find this helps relax the shoulders and that in turn helps relax the entire upper body. Also - and this is very very important - don't forget to BREATHE!

abc

Banned
My daughter video taped me and I was shocked how tense I am.
I think I am trying so hard to do everything "right" that it tenses me up.
Well, how about NOT trying so hard to do everything "right"? But just ski?

Play tag with your daughter? Just cruise around for fun? Ski backward? Dance on skis? You may look silly but if you can get over that, it'll probably take your mind off "doing everything right"...

I'm not one who like the idea of listening to music while skiing. But in this case, perhaps that would help, skiing to the rythem of music?

Do those silly things on the green slope so you don't have to worry about getting down and not falling...

MissySki

Angel Diva
A little trick that I've found can help: relax your jaw - actually let it go slack even if you feel you're looking a bit stupid. I find this helps relax the shoulders and that in turn helps relax the entire upper body. Also - and this is very very important - don't forget to BREATHE!

So true on the breathing! I never realized that I kind of held my breathe at times skiing until I was out west skiing at altitude, found out real quick when I wasn't getting enough air and started seeing stars! :smile:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, how about NOT trying so hard to do everything "right"? But just ski?

This is SO important. Lessons are too, but it's very easy to become so fixated on proper form that you don't learn to FEEL the skiing. My biggest improvements came after taking lessons and then giving myself some time to just ski and being a little easier on myself. When you're not focusing so hard on the turn initiation and the way you're holding your poles or whether your pole plant was a millisecond too late, then you can really learn to feel the rhythm of skiing and that can make a huge difference. Then, after a few days of just skiing and having fun, you can go back to your drills and see what happens. Odds are you're still doing the 'right' things, but you're also feeling a little more confident and loose while you ski.

Jilly

Staff member
Mileage is a big thing, or practice as Ski Diva calls it. And I totally agree with SkiBam. That works.

One thing that came up at our CSIA clinic this fall - its not about how you look, its about how you're performing. We (the CSIA) are not looking for the perfect form, we're looking to see if the skills are there.

So breathe in and out. Relax......

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/long-steep-steeps.9120/

Some people call me Maurice...pretty sure we owe mustski for that, and you all can thank me for resurrecting this one, later...

In the meantime, OP, there's a ton of excellent advice about how to keep loose and relaxed, especially under circumstances you find personally challenging. Don't worry about the "steep" focus - that's just what is personally challenging for many of the people participating in this thread.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I couldn't. I tried really, really hard, and I just could NOT help myself. Besides, there IS valuable information there...:laugh:

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
Take it slow, it WILL happen, everything is a true progression from turning to harder slopes etc..the more and more you challenge yourself it WILL come I promise you...we ALL started at some point, push it just a bit out of your comfort level, just a bit, if you can and you WILL get better..promise..not sure how old you are but watched my mom learn from from age 40 to 65 and she's come miles..and bringing up 3 ski racing kids..just have fun and enjoy where you're at and push yourself when you feel ready..

mustski

Angel Diva
"I'm a joker..."

I still sing that song when I'm scared! It's weird I know, but it works. I stop being scared. In the meantime, I don't have an earworm for this season yet and it's driving me crazy. I can't ski well until I have an earworm.

Tvan

Angel Diva
"I'm a joker..."

I still sing that song when I'm scared! It's weird I know, but it works. I stop being scared. In the meantime, I don't have an earworm for this season yet and it's driving me crazy. I can't ski well until I have an earworm.

Serafina, look what you started! Thank you AND mustki for the 24-hour ear worm!! :grouphug:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a perfectionist (maybe it comes from being a competitive equestrian my whole life??) this thread is timely! I am SO hard on myself and my husband and I were discussing this on the drive home from Mammoth yesterday! So my advice? Just go have fun!! Celebrate the small stuff, like learning how to link turns. And ski stuff that is BELOW your level, too.

mustski

Angel Diva
In SoCal, it's not a choice. We have to ski stuff below our level if we want ANY variety at all. The advantages are that skiing below your level builds confidence, teaches relaxation, and permits you to improve technique and work on rhythm.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/long-steep-steeps.9120/

Some people call me Maurice...pretty sure we owe mustski for that, and you all can thank me for resurrecting this one, later...
"I'm a joker..."

You asked for it....you got it:
ry%3D400

mustski

Angel Diva
That is awesome! But I still need a new earworm. Last year it was "Not for the Life of Me" from Thoroughly Modern Millie. I'm not feeling that one this year and I. Must. Sing.

ETA The sinners circle needs to be A LOT bigger!

abc

Banned
And ski stuff that is BELOW your level, too.
Unless you're a junior training for the future Olympic, skiing is a RECREATION. Not on snow SAT!

So whatever "below your ability" is really just another run you can comfortably ENJOY!

I understand many people see skiing as a liberating and emporwering activity. But one do need to keep it in proper perspective. Skiing isn't JUST about moving up into darker and darker color runs!

Think about those of us who can comfortably tackle the average blacks, which a typical mountain only has about 20-40% of. If we only ski runs AT our ability level and not BELOW our ability, we've be limited to less than 1/2 the terrain of most mountains!

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you guys so much for the tips. I am going to try them and chill out. I have been reading that book Inner Skiing and it also addresses this. I know the few times I relaxed and was able to "feel" my skiing, I was able to pick up on what was working and what wasn't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna