• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tipping your ski instructor _ advice?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Totally. I didn't, for years, until I was made aware that I should be. But it's an odd one--you don't tip other types of sports trainers/coaches, at least that I'm aware of. And given that tipping is just you subsidizing the labor costs of the business...it's a bad system.
I've given my personal trainer a bonus at the the year as a Christmas or Chinese New Year present. But agree that it's probably not that common.

As for whether or not the system makes sense, I don't see a reason to penalize individual instructors because of the way ski schools in North American have evolved. Very different situation about tipping in Europe and Asia in general. Australia as well as far as I know. When in Rome . . .

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have to admit it had been so long since I've had lessons that I didn't think about it until @marzNC kindly reminded me before the trip ! I believe Taos ski week instructors do get good tips at most levels. Our class was advanced and imagine our instructor was tipped well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm super torn about this. My (pretty high level) instructors have all skied away before I can even reach for my pockets. Not joking.
Have had that happen. Shows that most instructors don't expect a tip. I would venture to say that there are also times that stereotypes come into play as to why an instructor might guess a student is likely to tip or not.

Know a very experienced L3 instructor from the east who taught at a really posh destination resort for a season after retiring from his day job. The type of place where people are used to tipping for valet parking or hep with luggage. Ended up with multi-day privates for small groups of older kids or a few adults. He put away a tidy sum in tips alone.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have to admit it had been so long since I've had lessons that I didn't think about it until @marzNC kindly reminded me before the trip ! I believe Taos ski week instructors do get good tips at most levels. Our class was advanced and imagine our instructor was tipped well.
I learned about tipping for Ski Week last year. As I remember, there was someone in both of the Ski Week groups that my friends were in who mentioned tipping towards the end of the week to the other skiers. One group tipped individually and another pooled tip money.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am an instructor. I do not believe that tips should subsidize wages. Entirely different issues. I do not expect to be tipped for doing my job (which I love). However, there are times when you do all kinds of extra things for people - carry their skis, pick them up at their hotel, skip lunch to ski with different members of a group, spend an extra hour outside of normal lesson times, etc. that go above and beyond the lesson and it is nice for the extras to be recognized. It is a difficult and sensitive topic.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other awkward thing I am not sure about -- people at fancy ski-in/ski-out places (like, say, the Ritz at Northstar) who grab your skis and rack them (in non valet racks) before you can even do anything about it. As in "Hello, Miss!" *click* *grabs ski* *click* *grabs other ski*, racks them, dashes off to another incoming skier. Am I supposed to chase after them and tip them??

I was just stopping in to grab a drink and warm up; not staying there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The other awkward thing I am not sure about -- people at fancy ski-in/ski-out places (like, say, the Ritz at Northstar) who grab your skis and rack them (in non valet racks) before you can even do anything about it. As in "Hello, Miss!" *click* *grabs ski* *click* *grabs other ski*, racks them, dashes off to another incoming skier. Am I supposed to chase after them and tip them??

I was just stopping in to grab a drink and warm up; not staying there.
I wouldn't worry about tipping in that case.

I only tip airport shuttle van drivers on ski trips if I get help with luggage and they make the effort to chat if I'm riding solo. But if they make it hard to give them money, I don't worry about it.

Reminds me of staying a night at a posh hotel in NYC a long time ago. Was invited by a prep school friend's family during Spring Break to stay over after going to a Broadway show (my family's apt was uptown). They were related to the owner, so didn't pay for the room. What they used to say was that they paid in tips to the doormen (outer and inner doors), floor concierge, and room-service delivery people usually was equivalent to the cost of a regular hotel room in the city.:smile:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
But it's an odd one--you don't tip other types of sports trainers/coaches, at least that I'm aware of. And given that tipping is just you subsidizing the labor costs of the business...it's a bad system.

I taught swimming for more than 30 years at barely above minimum wage and never once received a cash tip, though I did receive a few food items the last day of a class. Like ski instructors, I did so in all weather from 106 degrees to torrential downpours.

I am an instructor. I do not believe that tips should subsidize wages. Entirely different issues. I do not expect to be tipped for doing my job (which I love). However, there are times when you do all kinds of extra things for people - carry their skis, pick them up at their hotel, skip lunch to ski with different members of a group, spend an extra hour outside of normal lesson times, etc. that go above and beyond the lesson and it is nice for the extras to be recognized. It is a difficult and sensitive topic.

Yes, absolutely recognize the extras!

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
I always tip. I have worked with some fantastic instructors (including PSIA L2 and L3) who have been patient with me and given me extra time, and where I ski, many come in from some distance away and have agreed to ski with me even on days that aren't their regular workdays. One instructor was visibly surprised to receive my tip; she introduced me to some new skills that have proved pivotal in my progress this season.

I usually leave something with the ski school/lesson desk as the instructors are often immediately off to another lesson right after me.

Skisailor

Angel Diva

I agree with this entirely but would also like to add that there are widely different wage experiences for ski instructors depending upon the location and particular resort.

Unfortunately, our resort management does seem to believe that tips should subsidize wages.

For those making a distinction between private and group lessons - at the resort where I work, the instructor's hourly rate varies dramatically based on the type of lesson, with MUCH less earned for group lessons. So tips in a group scenario are particularly appreciated.

I never ever expect a tip. And we always strive to do the little extras that will make every lesson the best possible experience for the guest - from running downstairs to rental to get the ski pole length correct to impromptu boot fitting help, etc. etc.

But tips are greatly appreciated and are also one form of feedback to let us know how helpful the information was for the student.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to admit, until I started skiing with instructors, it never occurred to me to tip. Of course it also didn't cross my mind how low the wages are, and that many are teaching for the joy of it, plus the on mountain benefits. I teach Pilates but do make a good rate which I could live on if I worked more hours. I suspect that is why I never expected tips, although love those bottles of wine that sometimes appear during the holidays. This thread, and my friends' experiences, has definitely opened my eyes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good to hear from a few instructors.

For relatively new Divas, note that the situation regarding tipping after a lesson hasn't changed in the last decade and isn't likely to change any time soon. Post #1 of this thread was from 2009 and it's 2018. I joined in 2009 and remember the thread as one that made me think Divas were pretty sensible people.

Every industry has unwritten guidelines that are not obvious to the general public. Every industry is made up of people who hopefully love what they do, but money is still important to them. Just as for those of us who love skiing, the money we spend matters but ultimately doesn't keep us from getting on the slopes regardless of how big or small the budget is for what is not a necessity.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As an instructor, likewise I don't expect a tip, fortunately I'm paid well for what ever kind of lesson I teach at my Mt.

Most tips are from parents who witness their child making incredible improvements in the 1.5hr we have them and adults who likewise are so thrilled with having found success via how an instructor taught them.

Like any service :tips are not mandatory but very much appreciated for a job well done.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I participated in a 2 day group clinic last month and the entire group tipped $20 a person and put it all in an envelope together. I'd probably have tipped more myself, but talking to the rest of the group is great!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm super awkward about handing someone cash, but I do want to tip, so I bring or find an envelope and write a little thank-you on the outside with a $20 bill inside. I leave it at the ski school desk staff with the instructors name on it.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been thinking a lot about this as my kids are in season long ski lessons with the same instructor. I don’t want to be too cheap, and am not sure what kind of tip would be appropriate.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i folded tips for our instructors in tissue paper left over from valentine's crafts. so they were bright pink and baby pink.

for the adult instructors for me - over the course of a season i tipped $140. that's for every weekend since early Dec. for the little one's instructor, also $140. we had tipped less than that maybe about $65-120 in the past, but i thought it would be nice to be a bit more generous. b/c i had 3 different instructors and the LO's instructor was really helpful and communicative with us. we're both taught by them in a group setting. also when i went out west for 2 days of 1:1 guided touring, i tipped 20% which ended up being $140 over the course of two full days. that is what my husband usually tips so i went with that. 1:1 guiding is tough and usually the guide is breaking trail. in my case, he was breaking trail and setting up kick turns and stuff - to make my life easier and also take me thru a safe route (say a ridge) to get to the top - he's a certified avalanche guide and he has several other certifications. so this was really easy to make sure he's compensated for his knowledge and his help. it's all quite specialized.

we typically do about $50-80 for say a repeat lesson (say a week at whistler ski school for the LO). for one lesson, we've done anywhere from none or $5-20 depending on what we have at the time.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Reminds me of staying a night at a posh hotel in NYC a long time ago. Was invited by a prep school friend's family during Spring Break to stay over after going to a Broadway show (my family's apt was uptown). They were related to the owner, so didn't pay for the room. What they used to say was that they paid in tips to the doormen (outer and inner doors), floor concierge, and room-service delivery people usually was equivalent to the cost of a regular hotel room in the city.:smile:
this is great!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this. I'm not sure I would have thought of it. My ski instructor actually refused my tip, but I think my daughters' was very appreciative.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna