• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tipping your ski instructor _ advice?

Eupatoria

Diva in Training
The other awkward thing I am not sure about -- people at fancy ski-in/ski-out places (like, say, the Ritz at Northstar) who grab your skis and rack them (in non valet racks) before you can even do anything about it. As in "Hello, Miss!" *click* *grabs ski* *click* *grabs other ski*, racks them, dashes off to another incoming skier. Am I supposed to chase after them and tip them??

I was just stopping in to grab a drink and warm up; not staying there.

We usually tip the ski valet at the end of stay if we stay at that Ritz. I think I have the guy $10 last time. If you are just stopping by, I would not worry about it.

We just did a small group class at Vail with my husband and a friend. I tipped $80 for three of us. It may be a lot, but a private lesson is in the excess of $900/day, and I don’t think the ski instructor makes more than $100 out of it.

KBee

Angel Diva
My lessons are $70/$80 and I tip $20. I don't know what the instructors are paid, but they are good. If I were to take a longer lesson, would add on $10 per hour.

Cascadia

Certified Ski Diva
Gosh. This isn’t even something I’ve ever considered. When I took lessons directly from the mountain’s school I haven’t been overly impressed. I was once paired with a 12 y/o boy when I was 29. The 12 and up adult lessons are not great and often taught by high schoolers. Thinking back I wouldn’t have tipped even if I knew it was a typical practice.

Now I’m in a private ski school that is a non-profit I think mostly volunteer ski club affiliated through my work. The lesson cost ($98 for 6 weeks of adult group lessons) probably just pays for the operation of the school for 6 weeks. The instructors pay starts at minimum and up for certifications and they do clinics after classes in the afternoon for their certs and their handbook makes it clear it’s not for making money but more for offsetting hobby costs and getting more mountain time. (I’ve been looking into it for when I level out!)

I don’t know that I’ve seen others tip the instructors and often we part ways before we get back to the ski school lodge. Adult students often have to pick up their kids from the kid instructors and non-parent adult students are wanting to head off to the bar/lodge to meet friends. I’ve never been slick with tips so now I’m wondering how to make this work. Maybe they all have been tipping on the sly and I’m a jerk? Or the fact that it’s a work club and non-profit make tipping inappropriate? My instructor this year was a badass that I absolutely would have written a thank you note with either some cash or a gift card had I known this was normal! I’m probably over thinking this and will make sure to have a thank you card for last class next year.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i think there are teaching schools that are known to be very good. those are the ones i usually take lessons from. i won't just sign up for lessons without knowing for sure that the lesson will be a helpful one.

i don't know about the club, but i would ask around. it's not super common to tip from what i've seen at ski schools b/c the lessons cost is so high, but i think most people know that the resort earns most of that, and the staff don't really get paid well for their time/skill/efforts. if you learned a lot and improved a lot, i would consider it for sure.

i just gave tips at the end of our last lesson (we had a season of group lessons every weekend). this way there's no second chance really. i think you could be overthinking it, and yes you can always show thanks next year!

kiki

Angel Diva
How are you all finding reactions on tipping the season? Yesterday I had a two hour private lesson that cost $230. It was a local hill vs a destination resort. I tipped $20, and the instructor seemed taken aback (as in unexpected to be tipped). It’s been a while since we picked up this conversation, interested in what you all are doing /seeing esp those of you instructing.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This guideline is not my creation, but one I have adopted from another skier.

Total tip for an instructor should be $20 per hour of the lesson. Divide that total tip by the number of students to determine what each student should be responsible for.​

Since the skier has used that standard for many years, he mentioned maybe it's time to increase the hourly tip to $25 or $30.

I use that guideline as my starting point and then adjust and round, based on quality of instruction and other factors.

I prefer the guideline over a % method because it feels more equal.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How are you all finding reactions on tipping the season? Yesterday I had a two hour private lesson that cost $230. It was a local hill vs a destination resort. I tipped $20, and the instructor seemed taken aback (as in unexpected to be tipped). It’s been a while since we picked up this conversation, interested in what you all are doing /seeing esp those of you instructing.

I'm not surprised they were taken aback. Most of the instructors I know say they rarely get tips. I don't think people understand how little of the money they pay for lessons goes to the instructors.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't really have a formula that I use, but to me $20 for 2 hours is reasonable and what I would do for a good lesson.
If the lesson was absolutely amazing then probably $40. I just sort of go by "feel".
For an all day lesson then anywhere from $60-$100, again, depending on how I felt the lesson went.
I should note, my assumptions are based on private lessons, as I haven't really done groups in many years so that might work out differently.
While tipping does make up a good chunk of pay, I still think a tip should be deserved and not just expected.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm a 10% tipper for most things. So your amount makes sense to me. It's a gratuity for a job well done and shouldn't be expected by anyone. I joke with my hair dresser that the $5 I give him is for the shampoo girl...there isn't one!! It's his tip. I'll go higher if I think the service provided was exceptional.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I just took a private week (12 hours) but we only used 8 hours total. Cost for the week was $1500 and we tipped $400. We had a great time and felt it was money well spent.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does anyone have thoughts on what to do for a seasonal program where you rotate around with different instructors too? I’ve been thinking to ask other group members if they do a collection to split between all of the instructors at the end of the season or something, but keep forgetting when I’m actually there to do so.

Jilly

Staff member
That's what we did at Summit Club in Tremblant. They had a box for the last week to leave a donation in. Then they split it up depending the number of times the instructor taught in that program. Some instructors were only brought in for 1 or 2 sessions. But there was a core of 10 that were there all the time. So that made it equal.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been at Purgatory resort this week. My granddaughter is an 11 year old snowboarder who was enrolled in a group lesson one afternoon. The only cash I had with me was a fifty and I'd pocketed it to break into tens. Of course, I forgot to do that after dropping her off and heading out to ski.
When I returned to pick her up, she and the teacher---in her forties---were having such a great time, the chemistry so heartwarming, and so much technical progress that I just gave this instructor the fifty dollar bill. For a 2.5 hour lesson that was a shocker of a tip for her, but I had no regrets. It was well worth it.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
When I have tipped others:
- seasonal weekend program for kids where 1-2 instructors for the group of 8-12. We tipped generally around $120-170 per instructor for the season.
- race program for kids where 4 instructors rotate for a group of 20-30 kids. We tipped around $60-$80 per instructor for the season.
- seasonal weekend program for adults (me as a student) I have tipped $80 for the season.
- backcountry hut trip in Canada (just me) —with about 13-15 other women, about $250 for the guide, tail guide, cooks (they pooled it)
- 2 days of private guided backcountry for just me. $120 total.
- 1 week full day kids program (9-3) at Whistler, $100 (on multiple years)

Tips I’ve received:
- “group” lesson of 1 kid (younger), 2 days, 2.5 hour morning lesson each day. $40 per day.
- same spec, $10 per day (younger)
- group lesson of 3 kids, 1 day, 2.5 hour morning lesson, $10. (Older kids)

I started to write my Venmo on my report cards for the kids this season. It’s not yielded any results just yet!

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my children were young and in age-grouped ski school each March at Deer Valley (usually 5-7 kids per instructor), we tipped usually 10% lesson cost per day - more if some major skill advance was made. When my 2 kids were 7 and 11, and bored with ski school, a good friend made the genius recommendation of hiring an instructor for the whole family and gave us a great referral, a young lady with impeccable credentials and also “cool” enough to appeal to the kids. The best thing we ever did. She taught us (or some combination of us) for 7 years straight and is now a close family friend. Knowing about the personal investment the guides make towards their accreditation process and the resort compensation rate, we pay her 20-25% gratuity per day and always treat her to lunch. Having said all that, I’m not sure I would have tipped as well had we not found such a great fit that benefitted all of us so very much, more than I could put a price tag on... Similarly, when I attended the amazing ladies weekend clinic at Deer Valley two winters ago, my group of four went in on a gratuity that amounted to about 25% of the daily rate, and took turns treating our instructor to lunch each day.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
The numbers blow my mind. I taught swimming (9 classes/day) for thirty years and the biggest tip I ~ever~ got was cookies! I was paid $7/hr ($8 the last year or two.) For many years I was a substitute teacher and never got more than $40/day. Many people are pushing for a minimum wage of $15/hr nationwide but I can't see it in this area. Businesses would just close down as local income could not tolerate the increase in prices to cover such. Not surprisingly, I've never paid for a private lesson either.
Currently my six weeks of 2 hr lessons cost a total of $110.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is funny to me that this thread has picked up steam again on a day when my guest excitedly tells me he will contact me for more lessons and tips me 2.1% per cent of the lesson cost, after telling me about the second pandemic home they just bought, this one with a pool.

I still prefer a heart felt card and fun lunch to a tip, but as a seasonal full time career instructor I could not survive without them.

I am guessing I get about 3 years out of a ski (2 base grinds per season), new liners every 2 years, boots every 4 or 5. Thankfully we get good deals. 240 dollars minimum to PSIA each year. 900 a month for health insurance, pre deductible. Yes, I would get workmans comp if on the job, but getting hurt in PSIA clinics or unpaid in house training I am not covered. My pay rate and the priority ranking for getting work depend heavily on both of those continuing education clincs throughout the season. Most of all the cost of housing in the richest county in the US is absurd. Add to that limited work options 2 months a year, that my lesson earnings have to cover.

It used to be that the ski area returned 30 per cent on average of the private lesson cost to the instructor. That still happens, after a 20 year multiple certification career, on some lessons, but many days average 15 per cent of guest cost. On top of that those are the bummer days where I only get 3 hours of work instead of a full day that I want and need. Many days I show up, and get paid 14 dollars per day for spending from 8:30 am until 1:15 pm waiting for work that never materializes at all. The silver lining is the unpaid ski "break" between line ups. This year I've not gotten work around 8 per cent of my show up ready to work days.

The irony for me, after that lengthy explanation of the expense to earning ratio of teaching in my personal case, is that 20 years later the tips have not increased much, while lesson prices have skyrocketed and the cost of living in an affluent ski town and gear have as well.

Tips can often account for 20 to 50 per cent of my income for a season. I have never stopped teaching guests who year after year ask for me and don't tip, with the caveat that they have to be the ones that bring immense joy to my existence. I am a rare instructor at my home mountain in that sense as most turn their noses up to non tippers and keep passing them on no matter how nice they are.

That bright eyed brand new to teaching kids group lesson instructor will likely only last one or two seasons if they actually want to survive teaching without a trust fund or if they don't supplement their income with tips and of course one or two night jobs.

It takes a few years at least of training and experience to develop a fairly skilled instructor/coach that can teach to all levels and lesson dynamics.

I don't know what the answer is as tipping should absolutely be earned by the instructor and should never be an obligation and placing the burden on the customer is wrong, but it is the American way.

The next time I get a $20 on a $945 dollar lesson I will likely return it politely explaining that clearly the guest must need it more than I do and should use it on a couple of overpriced 10 dollar resort cookies for his kids, though it would have covered my daily parking cost in the budget parking lot for the day. This year I am driving as I don't dare ride the bus, plus my car doubles as my locker and my dining room.

I adore my chosen career, and even on days with less than lovely guests I come home so thankful for my life choice, looking forward to the next day and dreading the eventual snow melt of the longer and warmer days of spring. Sadly, after 20 years I am inching closer to not being able to afford to continue doing what I love even with generous tips. Perhaps going back to hospital nursing will win out.

3 more years full time and I will have earned a lifetime pass... Just skiing without teaching sounds dreadful though.

Only tip if it is deserved, but more importantly help us improve by explaining why there is no tip if you are disappointed. Not tipping is a clear message of dissatisfaction, unless a guest does not know that it is customary in the US, so not sharing the reason only leaves us confused and wishing we understood where we failed. Trust me, most lifers don't teach to be able to ski hard all day, we would work evenings if that was the case, we actually for the most part teach because we do care about delivering a quality product/experience.

Now, the ones that actually really deserve tips and pay raises: ski patrollers. Some really big snow years we do a collection for them. Handling explosives day in and day out in the dark and cold for very low wages is madness! Add to that belligerent injured guests during a pandemic, and I have only one word, respect.

Please note that my views reflect only the experience of one instructor out of thousands, and each of our experiences are as different as the resorts we work for and the lessons we teach. Thank you to all the divas for providing a safe space to occasionally share the odder and starker side to our mutual passion of skiing.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think some of the confusion is that many guests don't realize tipping the ski instructors is a "thing". I know when I first started out skiing, I didn't realize you are somewhat expected to tip. In other types of lessons I had taken over the years tipping wasn't expected-ie. piano, equestrian, swimming, ice skating, sailing etc. etc. Perhaps the difference lies in the fact that most people who take other types of lessons do so on a weekly basis (or more often even) and it's always with the same coach---so tend to give a gift (monetary or otherwise) at holiday time instead of after each lesson.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It is funny to me that this thread has picked up steam again on a day when my guest excitedly tells me he will contact me for more lessons and tips me 2.1% per cent of the lesson cost, after telling me about the second pandemic home they just bought, this one with a pool.

I still prefer a heart felt card and fun lunch to a tip, but as a seasonal full time career instructor I could not survive without them.

I am guessing I get about 3 years out of a ski (2 base grinds per season), new liners every 2 years, boots every 4 or 5. Thankfully we get good deals. 240 dollars minimum to PSIA each year. 900 a month for health insurance, pre deductible. Yes, I would get workmans comp if on the job, but getting hurt in PSIA clinics or unpaid in house training I am not covered. My pay rate and the priority ranking for getting work depend heavily on both of those continuing education clincs throughout the season. Most of all the cost of housing in the richest county in the US is absurd. Add to that limited work options 2 months a year, that my lesson earnings have to cover.

It used to be that the ski area returned 30 per cent on average of the private lesson cost to the instructor. That still happens, after a 20 year multiple certification career, on some lessons, but many days average 15 per cent of guest cost. On top of that those are the bummer days where I only get 3 hours of work instead of a full day that I want and need. Many days I show up, and get paid 14 dollars per day for spending from 8:30 am until 1:15 pm waiting for work that never materializes at all. The silver lining is the unpaid ski "break" between line ups. This year I've not gotten work around 8 per cent of my show up ready to work days.

The irony for me, after that lengthy explanation of the expense to earning ratio of teaching in my personal case, is that 20 years later the tips have not increased much, while lesson prices have skyrocketed and the cost of living in an affluent ski town and gear have as well.

Tips can often account for 20 to 50 per cent of my income for a season. I have never stopped teaching guests who year after year ask for me and don't tip, with the caveat that they have to be the ones that bring immense joy to my existence. I am a rare instructor at my home mountain in that sense as most turn their noses up to non tippers and keep passing them on no matter how nice they are.

That bright eyed brand new to teaching kids group lesson instructor will likely only last one or two seasons if they actually want to survive teaching without a trust fund or if they don't supplement their income with tips and of course one or two night jobs.

It takes a few years at least of training and experience to develop a fairly skilled instructor/coach that can teach to all levels and lesson dynamics.

I don't know what the answer is as tipping should absolutely be earned by the instructor and should never be an obligation and placing the burden on the customer is wrong, but it is the American way.

The next time I get a $20 on a $945 dollar lesson I will likely return it politely explaining that clearly the guest must need it more than I do and should use it on a couple of overpriced 10 dollar resort cookies for his kids, though it would have covered my daily parking cost in the budget parking lot for the day. This year I am driving as I don't dare ride the bus, plus my car doubles as my locker and my dining room.

I adore my chosen career, and even on days with less than lovely guests I come home so thankful for my life choice, looking forward to the next day and dreading the eventual snow melt of the longer and warmer days of spring. Sadly, after 20 years I am inching closer to not being able to afford to continue doing what I love even with generous tips. Perhaps going back to hospital nursing will win out.

3 more years full time and I will have earned a lifetime pass... Just skiing without teaching sounds dreadful though.

Only tip if it is deserved, but more importantly help us improve by explaining why there is no tip if you are disappointed. Not tipping is a clear message of dissatisfaction, unless a guest does not know that it is customary in the US, so not sharing the reason only leaves us confused and wishing we understood where we failed. Trust me, most lifers don't teach to be able to ski hard all day, we would work evenings if that was the case, we actually for the most part teach because we do care about delivering a quality product/experience.

Now, the ones that actually really deserve tips and pay raises: ski patrollers. Some really big snow years we do a collection for them. Handling explosives day in and day out in the dark and cold for very low wages is madness! Add to that belligerent injured guests during a pandemic, and I have only one word, respect.

Please note that my views reflect only the experience of one instructor out of thousands, and each of our experiences are as different as the resorts we work for and the lessons we teach. Thank you to all the divas for providing a safe space to occasionally share the odder and starker side to our mutual passion of skiing.

This makes me so sad.. It was only in the last year or two that I’ve heard so much about tipping for lessons. I think a lot of people (myself included previously) believe that instructors get a whole lot more of the fee they pay to the resort than what they actually do. I wish that the resorts took a more active role in educating people about it. For example, in restaurants gratuity is usually mentioned. There might be a note regarding an automatic percentage based on group size being charged and/or when you pay with a credit card the receipt you sign has the spot ready to fill in your tip amount etc. Everyone knows what’s expected at that point, but you are still free to adjust specifics based on the service provided. At a ski resort you pay up front and there is never any mention of tips, and then no follow up after the fact either. I assume this is intentional because then they’d likely have to explain why they aren’t providing more of the fee from a $900 lesson to the actual instructor such that the guest should still be budgeting another $180 for a tip. Likely harder to manage than expecting an extra $10-$20 on a tip for a $50-$100 meal dining out. Do they intentionally avoid educating their customers on it? It kind of seems like it. Even when people do know to tip, do they realize the percentage expectation or think oh a $20 is easy and reasonable? I’m not sure.. I’ve taken a spur of the moment lesson before after having trouble in a certain condition while on a trip, and I don’t usually carry more than $20-$50 on me in cash since I usually use a credit card for anything I need. A lot of people don’t carry cash anymore, are there explicit ways on how to tip an instructor if a guest doesn’t have cash on them? (I saw someone mention above that they give out their Venmo account name, that’s a great idea).

I feel terrible that I may have offended some great instructors by having no idea of what the expectations were in the past. For total newbies who are overwhelmed just to be on snow, the absolute last thing they are likely thinking about at the end of a lesson is a tip. I remember when I started out as an adult my concerns were okay which lift and runs can I stick to on my own safely now that I’m being cut loose???

Anyway, now I know so at least I can act appropriately going forward! Education really is key.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not surprised they were taken aback. Most of the instructors I know say they rarely get tips. I don't think people understand how little of the money they pay for lessons goes to the instructors.

Yep, most of the profit goes to the mountain. Snowbasin's "learn and earn" program is a dirt cheap season pass/season rental equipment" program that gives students the option to upgrade to a private for $100 for the FULL DAY. My husband NEVER receives tips from these students. I think he'd echo a lot of what @snoWYmonkey says below, as he also spent nearly 30 years working his butt off to survive as a full-time instructor. He could teach most lessons in his sleep, it's that intuitive to him. It takes a lot of years for an instructor to hone their skills, both personal and teaching skills, and many of them are spending their free ski days away from their own families. As a spouse, I get SO frustrated when he walks away without a tip (he does get tips from his long-time regular private lessons.) We used a good chunk of his tip money from a few privates to help pay for our trip last week to Big Sky/Targhee/Jackson Hole.

Your first paragraph is so on-point for so many reasons.

Your entire post is actually on-point. If I could tell you how many times my husband has been told "you're really living the life!" (He did quit teaching FT about 7 years ago and got a year-round, FT job with benefits.) It's getting harder and harder for instructors to survive teaching FT in the winter then finding a decent paying FT summer job. I guess I'd better start tipping my husband better! :laughter:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna