• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tignes/Val d'Isère

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I realize I wrote before I went on the trip so thought I should report how it went. Just a week, which really isn't enough when you go such a long way but a great trip nevertheless. Stayed at Hotel Village Montana in Tignes which was very convenient and ski-in ski-out. Excellent food and overall a very nice hotel, even if is maze-like layout means more than one of us got lost just trhing to find the ski lockers!

I think I mentioned I would rent skis, so reserved the Elan Riptick 88 which I ended up loving! Conditions ranged from very hard packed (even icy in places), to nice winter snow, a bit of untracked (if heavy) powder, and pure slush at the lowest elevation. But the Ripsticks handled it all and gave me a lot of confidence in everything. (Not sure which I liked better: these or the Mindbender 89 I tried at Big White in February.)

I think I mentioned the trip was organized by the Rod Roy Snow School. I've done many trips with them in the past and they really have it down to a science. Our leaders were Doug and Gord Roy (Rod's sons) and their wives. Each led a group, with the split along the lines of how fast you wanted to ski, whether you wanted greens, blues, reds or blacks. (You could change groups at will, and some people skied on their own, or didn't ski at all. Lots of flexibility.) We tried to meet up for lunch but didn't always succeed. One day the group I was with went to the highest point (which entailed a wait for the tram), then a long long run down, part of it on an ungroomed black (slow going) so only made it to the lunch spot at 2 pm.

Thinks I liked: the views - we had three bluebird days when the views were amazing. (A couple of days were overcast and one was a write-off due no NO visibility). LIked a very exiting chairlift that went up a steep section, over the top and down an equally steep section on the other side. Loved the on-mountain restaurants. Loved the après-ski somewhere high up (then download after a drink or two). Loved the variety of skiing available and the long runs. I also liked that skiing is free for those over 75. Ya can't beat that! There's also a great shuttle bus service around the area which meant you didn't always have to ski home if you ended up at the bottom and were tired.

Things I liked less (and had forgotten about Europe or maybe it's just more crowded everywhere): too many people on the pistes, many of whom did not ski well, went too fast, cut you off, etc. I also did not like the lift lineups - "lineup" is actually a bit of a misnomer - more like a crush of people in one big mass pushing toward the lift, stepping on your skis, etc. If you were too polite you'd never get on the lift! I also did not like the Lyon airport (though it's a gorgeous building from the outside) with very long lines for security, then passport control. Despite getting to the airport a good three hours before our flight, the flight was actually being loaded before we got to the gate.

All in all though it was a terrific experience and I'm glad I did it. It might be my last big trip like that, but you never know!

Pic is me enjoying après-ski somewhere on the mountain.

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 3

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I also did not like the lift lineups - "lineup" is actually a bit of a misnomer - more like a crush of people in one big mass pushing toward the lift, stepping on your skis, etc. If you were too polite you'd never get on the lift!
Isn't that the truth?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna