• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tignes/Val d'Isère

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm off on a week-long trip to Tignes/Val d'Isère on Friday. Trip organized by Rod Roy Snow Schools - so once one is at the airport there's pretty much nothing more to think about! But I'm just wondering if anyone has been in this area recently (or ever - I haven't) or has any recommendations/suggestions.

I undersand snow has been a little thin on the ground but I hear there has been more lately. I've been in contact with someone from the ski shop in the hotel where we're staying, discussing rental options. I had such fun renting/demoing at Big White that I've decided to do it again. I've reserved an Elan Riptick 88 for my arrival. The guy at the shop (I'm just assuming it's a guy) assures me they have others I can try but there might be models I'm not familiar with. Ah well, the thought of not travelling with my skis is very very appealing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I spent a week in Tignes/Val d’isere in 2009 but honestly don’t remember that much other than we had great snow and you could ski from Tignes to Val d’Isère. I stayed in a British run chalet which was great! Have fun! Hopefully someone can give you some recent info!

Jilly

Staff member
DH and I did a trip with Benard Gendron, but late 80's. So not much help, as I'm sure things have changed. But absolutely love skiing in the French alps!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I worked there for the season in 1987!! But we went back for two weeks in 2019, so fairly recently. Snow cover was pretty thin and hard for our first few days there, but then it snowed, and it was great. Huge area/terrain, some really challenging skiing if you want it, lovely town (Val d'Isere more so) with traditional satellite villages you can ski to, and OMG, the food! You're going to love it.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you staying in Tignes or Val d'Isere? When I lived there, I was in Tignes, but on our more recent holiday we opted for Val d'Isere.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve been there a couple of times, most recently in Dec 2023…
It’s a high resort area so you’ll have plenty of snow… Have a look at the webcams :
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/tignesval-disere/webcams/

Lyon airport is small and will probably be very busy.

I’ve had a quick look at the trip info on RodRoy website. Are you staying at the Hotel Montana? It’s in a good location in Tignes Le Lac, effectively ski-in ski-out with a very short walk. I’ve stayed nearby and easily managed skiing from there to Le Fornet which is the far side of Val D’Isere. (Though I think we did catch the ski bus back from Le Fornet to Val on the way home).

Let me know if you have any specific questions…

Have fun!

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was there in February 2020 just before everything shut down. Stayed slopeside in Val D'Isere. Skied from there to Tignes and back, then downloaded the gondola to avoid crowds and ice.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I’ve been there a couple of times, most recently in Dec 2023…
It’s a high resort area so you’ll have plenty of snow… Have a look at the webcams :
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/tignesval-disere/webcams/

Lyon airport is small and will probably be very busy.

I’ve had a quick look at the trip info on RodRoy website. Are you staying at the Hotel Montana? It’s in a good location in Tignes Le Lac, effectively ski-in ski-out with a very short walk. I’ve stayed nearby and easily managed skiing from there to Le Fornet which is the far side of Val D’Isere. (Though I think we did catch the ski bus back from Le Fornet to Val on the way home).

Let me know if you have any specific questions…

Have fun!
Wow. You know as much as I about our trip! Yes, staying at Hotel Montana. Photos look great and from what you say it's in a great location. I'll take a look at the webcame when it's daylight. I think we flew through Lyon on a previous Rod Roy trip - I believe to Trois Vallées.

I plan to travel very light - not taking skis and will take just one bag (with boots, helmet, clothes) - I travel light. I'm a bit loathe to not carry my boots but I've decided my comfort in the airport is important so will just have a small backpack.

Thanks for all the info!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Have a great trip!
I know zip about your destination - but the Elan Ripstick 88 is my do-it-all ski of choice these past couple of years. Hope they work out for you!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Have a great trip!
I know zip about your destination - but the Elan Ripstick 88 is my do-it-all ski of choice these past couple of years. Hope they work out for you!
Thanks! Looking forward to trying the Ripstick. Think I mentioned in another thread that I fell in love with the K2 Mindbender 89Wti (or something like that). We'll see how these compare. I realize I just LOVE trying different skis!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna