• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Things I LOVE to see skiing

Briiz

Certified Ski Diva
Well, and the little kids following their instructors like ducklings also gives me the warm-fuzzies. And pulling out the big thermos of hot chocolate and box of twinkies after a really long, cold, wonderful day. I also love seeing all my ski stuff laid out the night before I go out. And going down a run and finding out halfway down that its a bump run :love: And whenever I see a tele skier...I'm so jealous, one of these days I'll have to learn.

I'm pretty sure everything about skiing makes me smile :yahoo:

AnnKH

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a fun thread! Hard to add much!

It's a real toss-up between older (70+) skiers, and little ones who are having a BLAST!

Families skiing together, and having fun doing it.

Parents learning to ski, because their kids like to do it.

DH and I take our Boy Scout troop skiing a couple of times a year, and the boys (middle and high school) fight over who gets to ride up with DH (their Scoutmaster).

My sons (age 13) shouting "Let's Gooooo!"

Deer tracks on the runs.

Little kids heading off to the trees calling "Follow meeeee!"

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh how I love to watch the good bump skiers. There are at least 3 bump runs at Sugarloaf that are directly beneath chairlifts. So it obviously takes some confidence to hit the chairlift bump line.

Haulback, Spillway, Sheer Boom. Rock on.
And DH is almost always game. When he skis bumps, he floats. Light and easy. No problem. It's a turn-on :wink:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Regarding the kilt.....does he wear it in the authentic Scottish style? :eyebrows:

waaay back when in the early days on the net, there was a photo floating around of a kilt wearing tele skier, catching air, who was definately "authentic".

as for great sites on the slopes.....ditto, ditto, ditto.

I like the keeping it real crowd too. Instead of team jackets around here it's usually Carharts or a snowmobile suit.

And the prime timers ( older skier club)

And the snot nosed mitey mite racer kids

and the view at the end of the day when the mountain is empty and the patrollers ( MY patrollers,hubby and son:love: ) are coming down the hill after sweep.

C

CMCM

I love seeing the really really older folks (older than me!!)out there still cruising (or in some cases, burning) down the slopes together....I'm talking 70's, maybe older! What inspiration!

I love the considerate, cautious skiers and boarders who don't whiz by too close and spook you. These are the people who remember they aren't the only ones on the mountain!

I love watching one of the ski patrol guys going down the slope with his dog.....those dogs love it!

I love seeing the parents teaching little tiny kids to ski. Those kids are fearless in most cases, and boy do they learn fast! They're so cute as they slowplow down with no poles!

:ski2:

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Windy trails and the feeling that there are no people around you for miles ( i hope to get good enough to ski backcountry someday)
Seeing familys skiing together
Getting the chance to teach friends how to ski and getting to see them improve each slope they go down.
Seeing little kids learn how to ski. Seeing little kids ski down blacks. Little kids in genral skiing makes me happy.
Seeing the snow fall on the trees while going up a chair lift.

Auntiesasa

Diva in Training
Some of my favorite things.

The old couple in matching powder suits doing their ski ballet/dancing routine.

Seeing the same families year after year.

Hearing your racer son say "C'mon Mom you can do it" when led to the steepest pitch on the mountain. Then getting "the tip of the day".

Hearing your DH say "You're skiing better than you ever have!"

Watching your teenage daughter RIP IT because she can.

Those kids.....

Grandparents skiing with their grown children and grandchildren.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
teens who are REALLY good, not just fearless...

really little kids ripping big slopes...

pretty much any telemarker...

families...

smiles...

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just love the very little kids(2-3) years old on the slopes. They just look so cute!
I love the older little kids following their instructors like ducklings.
I love seeing my eldest with autism ski and him enjoying skiing.
I love seeing people helping each other when one falls.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love seeing the looks on adults faces when I take my team (5&6 year olds) into places like Copper, Spaulding and Union Bowls. And then I love to hear those adults cheer my kids on. The kids get such a high from the encouragement and it makes me proud to be their coach. :love:

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love watching people trying to ski on really old equipment. There was a teenager at my ski area this year with some old wooden skis and ankle high lace up boots. He was working his butt off to turn, but he was doing it. I tried to buy them off of him to hang over my fireplace, but he said he had borrowed them out of his grandpa's attic and didn't want to get in trouble. This equipment was museum quality. :thumbsup:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love to work the Payday lift first thing in the morning to watch the Mountain Patrol dogs jump onto the chairlift! One is always carrying his frisbee!
My new love is to watch the snowboard alpine GS team train. They are amazing to watch, so totally elegant in their lines. I wonder how they are keeping themselves upright sometimes - they angle so much they are skimming the snow with their bodies!
I love it when guests remember me the next day, even if I'm working a different lift. It makes me realize that I am helping to make their ski vacations good ones.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man. I love this thread!!!!

- The 6ish and 8ish year old girls who's dad is teaching them to ski park at Bachelor. Helly Hansen patterned onsies. Adorable pink Bern helmets. 120cm twintips. They were doing 360s the other day. SO CUTE.

- Skiing halfway out of control in the trees and having to straightline between a couple, screaming because your shoulders hit the branches.

- Unexpected face shots, when the skier comes out of the cloud giggling. Like me today.

- The Skyliner parking lot at Bachelor. Locals parking lot. Barbeque and beer central. Music, dogs, laughter and no tourists. =P

- Chicks ripping it hardcore and dropping into stuff that makes me nervous.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Great thread.

Fittingly, one of Alta's pics of the day today was of a party for their 90+ year old skiers:
20090310.jpg

C

CMCM

I just LOVE seeing older folks skiing....I'm talking 70's and 80's older...and especially when it's a couple! This always makes me smile, because for me and Mr. CMCM this is our goal.....ski till we croak, hopefully skiing until we're 90! :love:

The other thing I love is seeing teeny tiny little kids just tearing down the hill, already with great form, and you just know they're going to be fabulous skiers by the time they're teens!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I loved skiing behind my four-year-old granddaughter recently and seeing her suddenly stop snowplowing and move into perfectly carved turns. I think she's a natural! (And of course I'm not at all prejudiced!)

Also, loved to see the look on my students' (all middle-aged women) faces when I mentioned the "push the bush" tip (which one of the divas had mentioned). They LOVED it and it really helped them get those hips more forward.

jwcomputergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Great Things to See

It was the end of the day at Elk Mountain, freezing, FREEZING cold. We were all boarding the cattle truck heading to the parking lot. The attendant reached down to help up the next passenger. She says... "Oh, I'm just fine young man - I'm not that helpless yet!". She was a lovely older woman, looooong straight skis, really vintage clothing, NO GLOVES (and it was bitterly cold), and big grin on her face. I later found out that she was 84 years old, and a regular at Elk.

I want to be her when I'm 84. Heck, I'd be happy to be 1/2 of her when I'm 84!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Saw lots of great *smiley* things last week:

My kid, really *getting it* for the first time, and wanting to share his skiing with his mommy.

My husband, riding a Magic Carpet over and over again with a 2yo. :laugh:

All the little 4-6yos weaving down the hill in their little *snakes* after their instructors.

Guys (and the occasional gal) in their 60s, 70s, and 80s who ski the bumps more naturally and gracefully than I ever will.

My Dad, relaxed, without a phone to his ear, enjoying the snow.

Myself, skiing a fairly decent, long bump run under the A-chair, even in *questionable* conditions. :smile:

Snow clouds coming in from the west and dumping. . . even when visibility got so bad I couldn't see my hand in front of my face and had to ski entirely using the force.
:yahoo:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga