• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thin wool socks for wide calves

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
5’7 165lbs and have always had wide calves. Any thin wool sock recommendations? I’ve given these socks to my thin calved husband and loves them but doesn’t work for me:

Smart Wool Over the Calf https://www.smartwool.com/shop/womens-ski-full-cushion-over-the-calf-socks-sw001859

I found something that’s warm and doesn’t cut off my circulation at the top but a bit on the thicker side. Any suggestions on thinner socks?https://outdoormaster.com/products/outdoormaster-adult-ski-socks

Thank you~

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
It was the yeti and glacier stripe equivalent, nearly 2 years ago. I wear them only for skiing, but they've held up. I'm not sure the glacier stripe is still on offer, but the over the calf yeti is.

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a similar pair that @brooksnow posted. They're Smartwool zero cushion and it said Ski Race on the package. I should have bought more of them at the ski swap I bought them at. I saved the packaging so Hopefully I can find them again when I need new ones.
I have a backup pair from Patriot foot beds that are pretty comfy once I cut off the entire top ring. The calf portion is tight enough that they stay up. They're backups as they're a bit too thick, when my liners pack out a little more they should be good.
I also have big calves and find many socks cut off the circulation on that top ring. I have almost a drawer full of "rejects" of both regular socks and ski socks with holes or slits cut into the calf portion.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
My big calves like long socks that come up to just under my knee. Favorite ultra thins are:

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
My big calves like long socks that come up to just under my knee. Favorite ultra thins are:

@edelweissmaedl thank you for this! Your screen name and is putting me at ease and back to the Sound of Music. Hope your suggestion my put me on the right track!

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
I have a similar pair that @brooksnow posted. They're Smartwool zero cushion and it said Ski Race on the package. I should have bought more of them at the ski swap I bought them at. I saved the packaging so Hopefully I can find them again when I need new ones.
I have a backup pair from Patriot foot beds that are pretty comfy once I cut off the entire top ring. The calf portion is tight enough that they stay up. They're backups as they're a bit too thick, when my liners pack out a little more they should be good.
I also have big calves and find many socks cut off the circulation on that top ring. I have almost a drawer full of "rejects" of both regular socks and ski socks with holes or slits cut into the calf portion.
Thank you @racetiger! I love your ingenuity of cutting the tops off, that’s commitment to the cause The rejects drawer is no joke here as well. I’m going to keep your suggestion and keep the thicker socks that work now for when my boots pack out a bit more.

May I bother you to take a pic of the zero cushion socks? I’ll put my google search skills to work!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I have never thought about cutting the tops off - I will give that a try! Might as well, since my current ski socks were so uncomfortable when I put them on for the first time in 2 years that I immediately went to scour the Ski Diva/internet for merino wool ski socks for wide calves. I had read about boiling the socks, but just didn't have the bandwidth to take that on this week :smile:

So I sprung for these. They literally just arrived in the mail and I tried them on - teeny bit roomy in the foot (I'm a shoe size 8 and size M/L is 8-11), and calves are snug but not painfully tight. They have slight compression. Good news is that REI has a generous return policy, so even after trying them on/wearing them skiing, if they didn't work out (but it looks like they will) I could return them.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I'm wearing Fox River snow socks (kids size medium -- don't have the wool ones, though they exist). They fit over my muscular calves wonderfully, unlike SmartWool or DarnTough. More style/weight options if you are in women's sizes. One more to research!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm wearing Fox River snow socks
I have a couple pairs of these the "ultra light weight" and the "light weight" the light weight is pretty thick though if you have tight fitting boots. The toe seam is large and annoying and seems to land in a wierd spot all the time for me. So I don't wear them in ski boots just occasionally in my work boots but because they're warm my feet sweat ! The calf ring isn't too bad after cutting a couple slits to 'expand' them a bit.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @racetiger! I love your ingenuity of cutting the tops off, that’s commitment to the cause The rejects drawer is no joke here as well. I’m going to keep your suggestion and keep the thicker socks that work now for when my boots pack out a bit more.

May I bother you to take a pic of the zero cushion socks? I’ll put my google search skills to work!

Attachments

• IMG_20230120_071637458.jpg
    IMG_20230120_071637458.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 5

halfling_eastcoast

Diva in Training
I have never thought about cutting the tops off - I will give that a try! Might as well, since my current ski socks were so uncomfortable when I put them on for the first time in 2 years that I immediately went to scour the Ski Diva/internet for merino wool ski socks for wide calves. I had read about boiling the socks, but just didn't have the bandwidth to take that on this week :smile:

So I sprung for these. They literally just arrived in the mail and I tried them on - teeny bit roomy in the foot (I'm a shoe size 8 and size M/L is 8-11), and calves are snug but not painfully tight. They have slight compression. Good news is that REI has a generous return policy, so even after trying them on/wearing them skiing, if they didn't work out (but it looks like they will) I could return them.

@yogiskier Oh the lengths we will go to free our calves!! I’m going to check out the socks you posted via REI. When the delivery arrived I am sure you were excited Sounds like it could work for me. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna